Burnt Files Don't Appear In Windows Explorer

CarolineC

Question

Hello,

Yesterday, I burnt some files on a multisession DVD using Creator Basic V9.

When I browse the content using Windows Explorer in the DVD player, the new files don't appear.

When I put the DVD in the DVD burner and use EMC 9 to load the data, the files appear just fine.

Can anyone tell me why they don't appear using the DVD player?

Many thanks,

Caroline

11 answers to this question

Caroline, your message is confusing. You seem to be talking about a stand-alone DVD player like you would connect to your TV, but of course that wouldn't have Windows Explorer would it.

If you are talking about a stand-alone DVD player, their abilities vary from brand to brand. My Philips player will see only files in the first session written on a DVD R, but will show all files written in many sessions on a DVD RW. It will also see only the first 50 JPG files per folder on any disc.

On the other hand I have a no-name $40 DVD player which happily reads multi-session R and RW discs, will play AVI and MPG files, and will see and slideshow up to 300 JPGs per folder. It depends on how the manufacturers wrote the player's firmware.

Thanks for the clarification, Caroline.

The recent behavior would suggest your DVD-ROM drive [the player] is an early model and doesn't have the firmware needed to handle multi-session discs properly - which wasn't uncommon - however your post #5 suggests otherwise.

This might have to remain a mystery unless you have one of those drives which will show the contents of all sessions written on an RW disc, but only the first session on an R disc. I can't think of any other explanation.

Regards,

Brendon

Hello,

Yesterday, I burnt some files on a multisession DVD using Creator Basic V9.

When I browse the content using Windows Explorer in the DVD player, the new files don't appear.

When I put the DVD in the DVD burner and use EMC 9 to load the data, the files appear just fine.

Can anyone tell me why they don't appear using the DVD player?

Many thanks,

Caroline

Which DVD player? If WMP, you may need a plug in to play from disc. Are you using CinePlayer? What format did you burn the audio files to the DVD? A little more detail please.

Sorry for being unclear.

On my computer, I have a DVD burner and a DVD player, nothing that I connect to a TV or stuff like that.

I usually burn a DVD and check it in the player to see if everything went fine.

I finalized the DVD, but the files on session #2 wouldn't show up.

So what I did is finally burn another DVD in one single session and finalized it...

Hello Caroline,

I don't think that is likely to help. The firmware is held on a chip in the drive, and if it's an old drive then it's likely that the chip is only ROM - Read Only Memory - rather than eraseable programmable ROM which is more modern. [similar to R discs vs RW discs].

Apart from that, even if the ROM was rewriteable, there would need to be an updated firmware issued by the manufacturer to correct that problem, and 'flashing' new firmware to an older drive can risk killing the drive completely.

It may be a limitation that you have to work around. At least your burner sees everything, as we would expect.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived