• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Clean Installation Instructions For 64 Bit Vista

erniegiro

Question

I've been having many errors and crashes with EMC 10 in my 64 bit Vista Home Premium Machine.

I've followed the clean install procedures for Vista, a few times, reinstalled the program, applied the latest updates, and still I can;t get EMC 10 to work properly.

After the last clean install, whenever I start the EMC 10 program, Roxio Central tools attemps to configure itsel, a process that takes some 20 minutes, then when I startup My DVD, another layer of configuration screens pop up taking another 10 minutes or so, then once I start to burn a DVD, I get an error message that the project can't be completed, and the computer restarts.

Vist 64 bit has 2 program folders, one labelled x86 and one not, when I run a clean install using the Microsoft cleanup utility, are there any additional steps I need to take to account for the 64 bit version of Vista that aren't included in the regular Vista clean uninstall/install procedures??

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

11 answers to this question

Did you check this KB article?

Print it out and follow it to the letter and don't skip any steps

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

ok I have creater 10 and am about to install....I have so far followed all the steps above(no previous roxio product installed,new clean disk(recovered) I get to the regisrty and find no roxio products,however i find a reg key named sonic in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Sonic.But I find no other keys named that in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Looking at setup log I find this reference

"08/17/2005 01:45:04.078,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\sonic.ca_ was copied to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\sonic.cat."

Looks like this was installed in original factory set up. farther down there are alot of references to sonic.Heres one more "08/17/2005 01:51:58.109,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\cmpnents\mediactr\i386\sonic.cab was copied to C:\WINDOWS\eHome\CreateDisc\AuthorScript.dll "

I'm not computer savvy ,but it looks like this is used by media center?

I have an HP laptop with vista premium 64 bit,and have had problems installing creater 10 on this machine.(hence the recovery),various crashes,Quickplay would hang,drive emulator caused MAJOR crash! Any way,I guess my question is,should i remove the key for sonic,I havent seen anythig about this particular key,and i know roxio and sonic are one and the same,or were.

i have done a backup of my regrisrty,but am reluctant to delete this key....Thanks

Also did a file search and found reference to it here C:\WINDOWS\ehome\CreateDisc, and here C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\msil_sonicmceburnengine_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e9a63251c5d028

sorry if this is redundant info,but thought i would provide all info i could

Edited by imradar

ok I have creater 10 and am about to install....I have so far followed all the steps above(no previous roxio product installed,new clean disk(recovered) I get to the regisrty and find no roxio products,however i find a reg key named sonic in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Sonic.But I find no other keys named that in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Looking at setup log I find this reference

"08/17/2005 01:45:04.078,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\sonic.ca_ was copied to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\sonic.cat."

Looks like this was installed in original factory set up. farther down there are alot of references to sonic.Heres one more "08/17/2005 01:51:58.109,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\cmpnents\mediactr\i386\sonic.cab was copied to C:\WINDOWS\eHome\CreateDisc\AuthorScript.dll "

I'm not computer savvy ,but it looks like this is used by media center?

I have an HP laptop with vista premium 64 bit,and have had problems installing creater 10 on this machine.(hence the recovery),various crashes,Quickplay would hang,drive emulator caused MAJOR crash! Any way,I guess my question is,should i remove the key for sonic,I havent seen anythig about this particular key,and i know roxio and sonic are one and the same,or were.

i have done a backup of my regrisrty,but am reluctant to delete this key....Thanks

Also did a file search and found reference to it here C:\WINDOWS\ehome\CreateDisc, and here C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\msil_sonicmceburnengine_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_e9a63251c5d028

sorry if this is redundant info,but thought i would provide all info i could

The instructions are specific that the Key is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software!

If you don't follow the instructions in Registry, you will be formatting your HD really soon :o

This is why we recommend Printing the instructions.

Like others I have tried to install Media Center 10 onto my 64-bit Quad machine (by the way don't reply if you have a 32-bit duo, because the 64-bit quads have a different version of Vista).

I read the uninstall very carefully, followed every step flawlessly and got the same results..it bombed.

Has anyone with a 64-bit Quad running Vista 64-bit service pack 1 had favorable results installing this program?

mjcrisp

First - don't hijack threads - you do NOT have the same problem. Always start a new thread

Second - 64 bit vista is 64 bit Vista irrespective of the number of cores or CPUs, it is the SAME OS whether it's single core or SMP. The only difference occurs in both 32 and 64 bit versions (the cheaper ones such as Home, Home Baic) where it will recognise multi-core CPUs but NOT separate CPUs

mjcrisp

First - don't hijack threads - you do NOT have the same problem. Always start a new thread

Second - 64 bit vista is 64 bit Vista irrespective of the number of cores or CPUs, it is the SAME OS whether it's single core or SMP. The only difference occurs in both 32 and 64 bit versions (the cheaper ones such as Home, Home Baic) where it will recognise multi-core CPUs but NOT separate CPUs

Well i got EMC installed(vista X64),but cannot finalize disk,then i cant even eject the disk,all other function SEEM to be running,this time i got the emulator to run,but have had,RoxMMTrayApp module faluires,video wave has crashed,and i have my QPCapSvc (Quickplay backgound service)hang on reboot,and all my folder views seem to have reverted to small icons,instead of the views I set .One other thing when i view any mpegs i cannot see anything (picture),just the MPEG Icon its just about as buggy as last installs,sigh...I am just at my wits end.

Edited by imradar

Well i got EMC installed(vista X64),but cannot finalize disk,then i cant even eject the disk,all other function SEEM to be running,this time i got the emulator to run,but have had,RoxMMTrayApp module faluires,video wave has crashed,and i have my QPCapSvc (Quickplay backgound service)hang on reboot,and all my folder views seem to have reverted to small icons,instead of the views I set .One other thing when i view any mpegs i cannot see anything (picture),just the MPEG Icon its just about as buggy as last installs,sigh...I am just at my wits end.

I can't follow your post, a bit of sentence structure and punctuation would help. :unsure:

Perhaps if you were to explain what your are trying to do (create video DVD or what) someone might be able to offer some help.