• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error In Toast 9: "result Code = -36

drock23

Question

I am trying to transfer several mini-dvd recordings (home-movies) to one regular dvd. I have created the file just fine and can get as far as saving it and starting to burn it. At 24% - each and every time - I get an error that says:

"Could not record the disk because there was an I/O error (your disk may be copy-protected) Result Code = -36"

I know the mini disks aren't commercial (because I recorded them personally with my camera) and I know that the regular disk in my machine is blank. I'm not much of a computer wiz, and I am really just kind of stuck. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Are you copying the mini-dvd files to your hard drive first, or are you attempting to transfer/convert the files directly from the camera to Toast? I'm assuming that the files on the mini-DVD require some sort of conversion first before they can be burned to a video DVD.

If you are able to convert the mini-dvd files to a format suitable for a video DVD then:

You might want to try saving the converted files to a disc image instead of burning them directly to DVD. See if you get the error then. If not, mount the saved disc image with DVD Player to see that it plays properly. Then try burning the disk image using Disk Utility (to rule out hardware errors).

You might even try selecting the files from the mounted disk image (VIDEO_TS folder, etc.) and adding them to a newly-created DVD-ROM (UDF) project in Toast. I'm not sure that it would be any different than burning the disk image directly; anyone?

Extract the MPEG video files from the mini DVDs by choosing DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Double click on what appears in the browser window and add the titles you want to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. When you have all the titles you want extracted, set up the menu the way you want and burn your DVD.

Are you copying the mini-dvd files to your hard drive first, or are you attempting to transfer/convert the files directly from the camera to Toast? I'm assuming that the files on the mini-DVD require some sort of conversion first before they can be burned to a video DVD.

If you are able to convert the mini-dvd files to a format suitable for a video DVD then:

You might want to try saving the converted files to a disc image instead of burning them directly to DVD. See if you get the error then. If not, mount the saved disc image with DVD Player to see that it plays properly. Then try burning the disk image using Disk Utility (to rule out hardware errors).

You might even try selecting the files from the mounted disk image (VIDEO_TS folder, etc.) and adding them to a newly-created DVD-ROM (UDF) project in Toast. I'm not sure that it would be any different than burning the disk image directly; anyone?

The media from the mini-dvds is a .vob file. I'm not sure if that is a format suitable for a video dvd or not.

I tried saving it as a disc image and I got the same error message. I also tried burning it with Disk Utilities and had no luck there either.

Thank you, though. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

The media from the mini-dvds is a .vob file. I'm not sure if that is a format suitable for a video dvd or not.

I tried saving it as a disc image and I got the same error message. I also tried burning it with Disk Utilities and had no luck there either.

Thank you, though. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

Toast does not work with VOBs dragged to its Video window. You must extract the MPEG files using the Toast Media Browser as I described above, or use MPEG Streamclip to "Convert to MPEG" the MPEG video files that are contained in those VOBs.

Toast does not work with VOBs dragged to its Video window. You must extract the MPEG files using the Toast Media Browser as I described above, or use MPEG Streamclip to "Convert to MPEG" the MPEG video files that are contained in those VOBs.

Thank You! That's what I needed.

Archived