danielisevil

.vob Files Not Fully Importing

Question

when i drag a .vob file into toast it doesnt come over fully. a 1:07 clip that i dragged over came over as only a :28 second clip. i played the clip fine in the dvd player and it played the entire length. when i tried to convert it to a quicktime file it showed up as only :28 seconds. what am i doing wrong?

i'm on a mac running tiger if that matters..

4 answers to this question

I've had the same experience dragging VOB's to the Toast 7 window. Hopefully, you still have those VOBs in a VIDEO_TS folder. Assuming that is the case, place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop. Now go to the Toast Media Browser (click the Media button) and choose DVD with the top button. Use the lower button to go down to the title level. You now can extract the MPEG from the VOB by dragging the title you want to the Video window. This is the way Toast 7 works with VOB files.

I've had the same experience dragging VOB's to the Toast 7 window. Hopefully, you still have those VOBs in a VIDEO_TS folder. Assuming that is the case, place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop. Now go to the Toast Media Browser (click the Media button) and choose DVD with the top button. Use the lower button to go down to the title level. You now can extract the MPEG from the VOB by dragging the title you want to the Video window. This is the way Toast 7 works with VOB files.

What can we do if we only have the VOB file?

What can we do if we only have the VOB file?

I'm not sure. Try placing it in your Movies folder and use the Movies tab in the browser to locate it and drag to the Video window. Does that work?

Also, you could open it in MPEG Streamclip and then choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu. That will save it as a file that can be dragged directly to the Video window. You may need to go to the Toast Custom Encoder window and choose Never for re-encoding or Toast might try to re-encode that MPEG.

Edited by tsantee

I'm not sure. Try placing it in your Movies folder and use the Movies tab in the browser to locate it and drag to the Video window. Does that work?

Also, you could open it in MPEG Streamclip and then choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu. That will save it as a file that can be dragged directly to the Video window. You may need to go to the Toast Custom Encoder window and choose Never for re-encoding or Toast might try to re-encode that MPEG.

Thanks for the hints, tsantee. If I place the VOB in the Movies folder and use the Movies tab, I can see the video, but dragging it to the Video window still only displays a 2-second clip.

I downloaded MPEG Streamclip and while converting to MPEG was told there were numerous timecode breaks. After fixing those, Toast now thinks the converted MPEG file is the proper length.

Thanks a lot!