Ntsc To Pal Not Working

riocreations

Question

Hi everybody,

I used to be able to convert NTSC to PAL as I burn a VIDEO_TS Folder. As I used to change the seting in Preferences > Audio & Video > Video Settings > TV Standards, Toast 8 used to ask if I was sure that I wanted to change the Video Setting and I would click on OK. I do not get the message anymore for some reason and the conversion to PAL is not working. This setting is supposed to work. Can anyone offer info on this ? Suggestions ? Help ?

Rio.

10 answers to this question

I did not misunderstand. You cannot just convert formats without going through the steps I describe. I see you've also posted this in the Toast 9 forum. Those steps are the same with Toast 9.

However, it may be that you don't need to convert it at all. Most PAL DVD players will play NTSC DVDs and do the conversion during play back. However, only a few NTSC DVD players can play PAL DVDs.

Thanks for your follow up and the info tsantee,

The steps you have described to me are exactly the same as I used to do but Toast does not ask anymore if I want to keep the Settiing Change that I made.

Also, I am aware that most DVD players will read both format but the TV set in this case is too old and I do not think it will not allow the conversion to go through.

Rio.

Thanks for your follow up and the info tsantee,

The steps you have described to me are exactly the same as I used to do but Toast does not ask anymore if I want to keep the Settiing Change that I made.

Also, I am aware that most DVD players will read both format but the TV set in this case is too old and I do not think it will not allow the conversion to go through.

Rio.

Interesting. If the extracted MPEG video is PAL and the Toast preference is for NTSC I don't know why you wouldn't get the message about conversion. How does Toast describe the specs of the MPEG video after its been added to the Video window? You also can see the specs by holding the cursor over one of the titles showing in the Media Browser.

If everything is set up right and Toast is ignoring the format, quit Toast and trash its plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder. You then will need to reset your preference for NTSC when you relaunch Toast.

Interesting. If the extracted MPEG video is PAL and the Toast preference is for NTSC I don't know why you wouldn't get the message about conversion. How does Toast describe the specs of the MPEG video after its been added to the Video window? You also can see the specs by holding the cursor over one of the titles showing in the Media Browser.

If everything is set up right and Toast is ignoring the format, quit Toast and trash its plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder. You then will need to reset your preference for NTSC when you relaunch Toast.

Hi tsantee,

I think that we are on the same page now in understanding what is happening. However, I am not very tech savvy so I do not know exactly which files to trash:

1) Is "com.roxio.Toast.plist" one of the files I should try and trash ?

2) And do you have the name of the other files to trash ?

3) Does this mean I will have to install Toast from scratch ?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Rio.

The process for doing this is as follows:

1. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window.

2. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop (or insert the source non-encrypted DVD).

3. Choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser.

4. Double click on what appears in the browser window. Choose the titles you want to include in your converted DVD and add them to the Video window.

5. When Toast finishes extracting the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS folder set up the menu the way you want and either choose Save as Disc Image or click the burn button. Assuming you've set the format preference in Toast Preferences you'll be asked if you really want to convert the format.

6. If you choose Save as Disc Image you can burn that to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Something that I have noticed when converting NTSC to PAL this way is that the Frames Per Second is still the original 29.97fps. Should it not be 25fps or is this not an issue.

I'm using the Custom Encoding Options with Reencoding set to NEVER.

Please let me know if there's another way that actually converts the FPS to 25fps.

1) Is "com.roxio.Toast.plist" one of the files I should try and trash ?

Yes

2) And do you have the name of the other files to trash ?

Roxio.com.prefs

3) Does this mean I will have to install Toast from scratch ?

No. When you relaunch Toast you'll need to go through the setup assistant again. It remembers your user key from before.

2. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop (or insert the source non-encrypted DVD).

4. Double click on what appears in the browser window. Choose the titles you want to include in your converted DVD and add them to the Video window.

5. When Toast finishes extracting the MPEG files from the VIDEO_TS folder set up the menu the way you want and either choose Save as Disc Image or click the burn button. Assuming you've set the format preference in Toast Preferences you'll be asked if you really want to convert the format.

6. If you choose Save as Disc Image you can burn that to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Would this work if I would like to keep the DVD as how it was on the pal format? That is, keep the menu as is instead of creating a new menu.

I think you might have missunderstood my original situation: I am trying to burn a VIDEO_TS but I need to burn it as a PAL format instead of NTSC but it is not working.

Rio.

I think you might have missunderstood my original situation: I am trying to burn a VIDEO_TS but I need to burn it as a PAL format instead of NTSC but it is not working.

Rio.

I did not misunderstand. You cannot just convert formats without going through the steps I describe. I see you've also posted this in the Toast 9 forum. Those steps are the same with Toast 9.

However, it may be that you don't need to convert it at all. Most PAL DVD players will play NTSC DVDs and do the conversion during play back. However, only a few NTSC DVD players can play PAL DVDs.

Would this work if I would like to keep the DVD as how it was on the pal format? That is, keep the menu as is instead of creating a new menu.

No. There is no way to keep the original menu and also convert the format. If keeping the menu is important then it is better to get a DVD player that can play both PAL and NTSC dvds.

Archived