Roxio 2009 Conflict With Magic Jack

evan k

Question

I recently installed Roxio 2009. I have been a happy user of Magic Jack (internet phone service) for a while.

When I try to run Roxio the program freezes and when looking at Windows Task Manager it says it is not responding and neither is my Magic Jack.

I can't end the program since the whole computer freezes and I have to do a cold boot to get things back.

If I unplug my magic jack the program usually runs well.

If I plug my Magic Jack in the problem returns.

Any one else have this problem?

Any suggestions?

17 answers to this question

I recently installed Roxio 2009. I have been a happy user of Magic Jack (internet phone service) for a while.

When I try to run Roxio the program freezes and when looking at Windows Task Manager it says it is not responding and neither is my Magic Jack.

I can't end the program since the whole computer freezes and I have to do a cold boot to get things back.

If I unplug my magic jack the program usually runs well.

If I plug my Magic Jack in the problem returns.

Any one else have this problem?

Any suggestions?

Read all about that resource hog (Magic Jack), here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...amp;=Magic+Jack

so the freeze happens if you click on the shortcut on the desktop or any particular component in Creator 2009? Is this on Vista or XP?

I am using XP and the freeze happens when I click on the shortcut after the program loads. You get the home screen but the little circular arrow is stuck and then if you go into Task Manager neither Roxio nor Magic Jack is responding. From there you can only turn off the power and let it start back up.

Read all about that resource hog (Magic Jack), here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...amp;=Magic+Jack

I read through the links and the person who had the problem as I did stated that they are working on it.

For what it saves me on long distance charges, I love Magic Jack. If this is the only problem with it, I can live with using it when I am not interested in making CD's or DVD's.

So I will wait for their update.

Wish I knew why it only conflicts with Roxio, however. Never had a problem with my 1 click DVD Pro.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone.

I read through the links and the person who had the problem as I did stated that they are working on it.

For what it saves me on long distance charges, I love Magic Jack. If this is the only problem with it, I can live with using it when I am not interested in making CD's or DVD's.

So I will wait for their update.

Wish I knew why it only conflicts with Roxio, however. Never had a problem with my 1 click DVD Pro.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone.

If you do get an update from them, please let us know how it works out with Roxio???

My "take" on Magic Jack and the issues it can cause with a variety of multimedia applications is this: MJ installs itself as a set of 2 CD-Rom drives which contain "autorun" commands. Even though the drives don't contain viable media content (like a CD or DVD), programs like Roxio (and others) that auto-scan drives by default (searching for media) detect MJ, thinking it's a valid media source. This causes the multimedia app in question to lock on to the MJ drive as it attempts to import and/or analyze the content, causing the application to freeze.

As I said, the above is speculation on my part. It's based on actions I've taken that seem to solve the problem. Here are a few things that have helped. None of these have caused any harm. Even so, I'll preface this with the "try at your own risk" caveat.

1) Disable the process that automatically monitors your drives for content. This way your software will not "see" MJ by default. Of course this means it won't see "anything" by default. You'll have to select wanted content manually using the file tree. Unfortunately I don't have EMC installed at the moment but I believe the process is named "roxiowatch" or something similar.

--OR--

2) Unplug MJ before installing EMC. Don't re-connect MJ until the install has fully completed. Also, unplug MJ before launching EMC and don't reconnect it until you've closed EMC.

-OR--

3) If you're running XP, install the free Microsoft "Tweak UI" software which can easily be found on the web. One of it's many features is the option to disable autorun on any connected drive(s). It's a simple procedure that uses a check box to disable or enable. Disable autorun ONLY for your MJ drives (there should be 2 of them). After doing this, MJ should remain functional without interfering with your multimedia programs.

--OR--

4) Hack MJ to run as a Windows "service". This solution is the most effective but (depending upon your knowledge of computers) can be quite a pain. The instructions can be found on the web.

BTW, don't even bother with the idea of altering MJ's autorun.inf file. Any changes you make will only be in effect until you reboot. Why? Each time you restart your computer MJ re-installs itself, re-implementing all of it's defaults.

One might ask, why not just dump MJ and solve the problem once and for all? Well, aside from the MJ device itself, MJ doesn't require special phone equipment... it works on any corded or cordless phone system. It offers "911" service and includes a free incoming local telephone number. Basically it can potentially replace your normal phone service... with an annual cost of $20 per year. That said, if someone is just wants for a 2nd line for casual use (or just to make calls from a PC), SKYPE is probably a better choice (IMO) as it generally doesn't interfere with other software.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

The problem is not Magic Jack.

Magic Jack is not a resource hog.

The resourse hog is Roxio / Sonic / Averetec whatever, I wish they could get

their handles the same, so you can know what and where all the bloatware

is. Try and do a selective load with Roxio Creator, you can uncheck most everything

but it is still installed files on your harddisk.

I have been watching streaming videos online, running MS excel, and at times

listing to streaming CBS radio while surfing the internet and talking crystal clear

on the magic jack to my mother who lives 1800 miles away.

Never had a problem with any other program and magic jack.

Just recently I loaded and started Roxio to do some vhs to dvd and to

create some boot disks for a new system I just received, and that's when

the problems started.

If you get any buffer underrun (which the check mark is checked) while burning a CD,

You won't be able to burn another disk, until you do a "Clean-Up" of your temp files and disk space and registrys then reboot the computer, so don't act like Roxio is so robust. Roxio is not robust,

and is somewhat flaky and finichy. Roxio, doesn't clear out its buffers and files if it encounters an error. Leaves your system messed up.

But, I still like it and use it, just wish it didn't require work arounds like disconneting Magic Jack.

Also, why does Roxio have to be connected to the internet? I think it is monitoring and trying to send information over the internet everytime you try to make or copy a disk.

Let me check for an update myself. Why is Roxio always worried about updates if it is so strong?

If you do get an update from them, please let us know how it works out with Roxio???

MrTee is on track, in my humble opinion.

So the question is why does Roxio, Media Creator, whatever the name, why is it searching

for Media, when I didn't ask it to?

Simple, fix could be an added check box in Roxio to say, ignore certain drive letters, or directorys

. Shoot, Spybot has em and so does a lot of other programs, so the user should be able to

configure Roxio where to or where not to (ignore) searching for files.

My magic jack ususally mounts and uses drive: "K" and drive "L" for removable drives.

Edited by Rambo2

I was going to remain silent since you jumped on a 6 mo. old post, but your phrase

why does Roxio have to be connected to the internet? I think it is monitoring and trying to send information over the internet everytime you try to make or copy a disk.
gave me a chuckle.

No, it does not have to be connected to the internet to work -- people here recommend disconnecting your connection to it at times to avoid issues. Plus, who would Roxio send the information to?!?

Nobody said it was a resource hog - it just stops some apps from working - google it to find out :lol:

Basdc rule of thumb - connect it when you need to use it - then disconnect it when you don't

I was going to remain silent since you jumped on a 6 mo. old post, but your phrase

gave me a chuckle.

No, it does not have to be connected to the internet to work -- people here recommend disconnecting your connection to it at times to avoid issues. Plus, who would Roxio send the information to?!?

Sorry, I hate to jump on old posts, but the problem still exists.

As for all of the posts on magicJack problems on google, I don't think anyone wants a majority of those

problems related to Roxio-Sonic-Quesient-whatever.

Simple solution, is make a selectable parameter for Roxio to not automatically search for media.

That media search, and then hijack all of your media files with file tags also causes other problems

not related to magicJack.

I have disabled all of the PnP on Roxio / sonic. Also, stopped the internet flow.

Also, repaired the firewall that Roxio punches a permission hole in (without asking)...

Roxio is working fine, but I remove magicJack before I use roxio, and visa-versa.

But, just for simple burning of CD now I use CDBurner program.

The problem is Magic Jack

Now whether or not you are willing to check is up to you, but, believe me, it IS a problem with other apps.

Cure is simple - disconnect it when you aren't using it