• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows Vista Install Best Practice

chudwuck

Question

I just received my Creator 2009 Ultimate DVDs in the mail.

After having a lot of problems installing EMC10 (I finally reformatted my hard disk and gave up), I would like to do it right the first time with Creator 2009.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium running on a Dell XPS 410 with 4 gigs of RAM with a dual core CPU. I have the free EMC 9 installed that came with Vista from Dell.

When I opened the jewel case I found DVD 1 and DVD 2, and NO INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. I bought the program on disk because I expected some documentation with it.

The salesperson at Roxio assured me when I made the purchase that all installation problems have been fixed.

After reading through all of the posts, I can see that there are still some issues with installation. I will do a full system backup first and create a recovery point.

My question:

#1. Should I just insert disk 1 and hope for the best? Maybe it will just guide me through a problem free installation?

OR....

#2. Do a clean uninstall of EMC 9 first? Just to avoid a lot of issues, reinstalls, endless restarts, risky registry editing, etc.

how to proceed? What is the best practice? #1? or... #2?

3 answers to this question

I would use the clean install to remove the Dell OEM bversion and then run the installation

If it's the boxed DVD set, Program should have all the stuff in it but if there is a content disc, then install program first, reboot and then install the content

I had some problems with installing in Vista but many have not. Disc 1 is the program disc and Disc 2 is the content disc (I assume as I don't have the retail version). However, if you do have a problem installing, as mentioned in a pinned post, call and get a trouble ticket number and they will get info from you and help you. The problem I had involved DirectX and was fixed easily.

I now have v9,10 and 2009 installed sided by side with no problems and one system is similar to yours (Dell XPS400).

I had some problems with installing in Vista but many have not. Disc 1 is the program disc and Disc 2 is the content disc (I assume as I don't have the retail version). However, if you do have a problem installing, as mentioned in a pinned post, call and get a trouble ticket number and they will get info from you and help you. The problem I had involved DirectX and was fixed easily.

I now have v9,10 and 2009 installed sided by side with no problems and one system is similar to yours (Dell XPS400).

Thanks for the advice. I am a conservative guy, so will probably go with the clean uninstall first. I will let you know how it goes.

Archived