• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New Guy With Big Problem

nomad^phoenix

Question

I purchased EMC 10 about three months ago. I held out and wanted a new copy when I built a new computer, so when it was on sale/rebate, I purchased a copy. I have not been able to use this software once since I purchased it. Let me be clear, I have owned versions of this software since Adaptec owned the company, so I generally know what I am doing; but I'm just lost anymore.

So I call the company after the UI tells me that it cannot detect drives (but not before I pull out my hair). I get a tech who gives me a solution. I figure I'm in the clear once it works. I wait a week or two to try it because I am busy. I get hangs immediately. So I try to call the number again and cannot find it (its not in the manual, as you know). So from there I started an online work order and began to work through the problem with online techs, who each time were different and asked me questions like, "are your CD/DVD writer drivers up to date?" Yes. "Go to this particular Microsoft website for issues regarding upgrades to Vista." I didn't upgrade, I did a clean install. Back and forth, over and over. Frankly I am back where I started, the UI will not recognize the drives and I can't even remember how to get it to. I have installed px engine 4 10 28a with no luck and have tried to shut down all non essentials with no luck as well.

Now, I cannot even get the techs to take my calls, according to company policy, even though I am within ninety days because they have released a new product. So my only other option is to spend $30 on their other tech line. I have to say, if I have to do that, I will never, ever buy another one of their products again. Of course, now I'm at the end of ninety days, and Roxio doesn't seem obliged to do much. I cannot believe that this program will not work for me and there are no other options.

Can anyone offer sound advice that Roxio is unwilling or unable to give? Have they experienced anything remotely like this?

Thanks in advance,

Nomad^Phoenix

18 answers to this question

I had a similar issue with my old HP drive. I was an HL GSA-4166B OEM drive. HP replaced it twice. Got to the point the drive wouldn't recognize ANY disc that I inserted. Good possibility the drive is going bad. I ended up replacing the drive.

Still can play music, movies, and games on both. It is quite loud when I rip MP3s on the HP. Ungodly loud. Always has been, but that doesn't explain both drives, does it? Every single other item in my computer is new, just purchased in May, except those two drives. Is it possible that two year old drives would be so problematic for Roxio software? They were not for the last version I owned and had installed on XP, which was 8.5 I think. Heh, I still have the software all boxed up going back to versions 5 & 6. Is there any retail value to them, ha haha!?!

Did you try 4, 5 or 6 in Cdanteek's signature?

4 is not applicable. 5 is what I have done; installing the PX Engine, with no results. 6? Until they fix the bugs in the new beta, which I downloaded and quickly got rid of when I couldn't access my que on Netflix, I am sticking with 7; unless you have a compelling reason for me to uninstall and reinstall?

In addition to the other excellent tips.....

This is probably a stupid question, but when you downloaded the pxengine.exe, did you actually run the file? It doesn't work automatically like many updates do.

I've lost drives when I installed/uninstalled Roxio products and it worked every time. Of course, that doesn't mean it will work for you.

Yes it did. I runs, but I did not use it on this last bunch attempts you guided me through, it wasn't part of the process.

Some more info creped into the thread…

Lets try this:

Do the Clean Install process until all is removed.

Do the Upper/Lower removal – make sure you have the correct Keys!

Reboot your PC and see if you can use the Built in Burning to burn a disc. – RW type disc would be nice at this point… If it burns then use the OS to erase.

Only if the burning works, Install EMC10.

I have to ask what you mean by correct keys? This step? If so, I followed it to the letter, and there wasn't any Upper or Lower Filters in the file.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.

3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.

4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

I just tried to burn a disc with a single picture using Built in Burning (which I have never done, as I rely on Roxio's software) and while it took some time to format the disc, it did burn it exactly as it should have. If I have done this step correctly, then theortically when I installed EMC10, it should have worked, right?

You are thinking too hard :D

Everyone has been offering solutions or asking questions and you outsmart them, deciding you don't need to do it. But in the end, your install doesn't work and ours do…

Do the 4 and 10/11 that cd has listed. Only difference is might try copying the discs to your HD and make the install from there.

No drives detected. Back to where we started.

In addition to the other excellent tips.....

This is probably a stupid question, but when you downloaded the pxengine.exe, did you actually run the file? It doesn't work automatically like many updates do.

I've lost drives when I installed/uninstalled Roxio products and it worked every time. Of course, that doesn't mean it will work for you.

You have also overlooked the fact that playing and recording are two totally different applications. The fact that the drive can read data doesn't mean that it can write to a disc. The laser may be faulty - any number of possibilities

Specifics, what application your using within the Suite, any error messages and so on. Does windows see your drives in my computer? From the EMC 10 Home page, tools, Disc info or Disc and Device Utility, does it see your drives? What Drive does it show and what firmware? Are you trying to burn CD, DVD, R or RW? What brand of media are you using?

cd

Specifics, what application your using within the Suite, any error messages and so on. Does windows see your drives in my computer? From the EMC 10 Home page, tools, Disc info or Disc and Device Utility, does it see your drives? What Drive does it show and what firmware? Are you trying to burn CD, DVD, R or RW? What brand of media are you using?

cd

Absolutely, windows sees my drives. I use them daily to play games. Using an HP dvd640 and a Sony DVD-ROM (number from device manager says DDU1612), both internal, firmware is up to date. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz and 4 GB of memory on a Vista Ultimate platform. I have Service Pack 1 installed.

I don't get error messages, because I cannot get the UI to recognize the drives now. Here's what it says, "No drives detected." When it did recognize the drives prior to an uninstall (hoping that I could solve it that way), I could burn CD's and DVDs, but not copy them. I'm trying to copy onto Verbatim CD-R media.

I suppose that the first step is getting the UI to recognize the drives again, but I can't remember how it was done. Roxio's tech's just keep giving me the same advice...drivers, microsoft and px engine 4 10 28a...none of which have helped. Without this, I can't burn anything.

OEM Software? Whenever software comes with a piece of hardware here is what I do…

I follow an unbroken path from the box to the trash can. Works everytime!

What you need to do is to find someone whom you trust that knows PCs and burning. Invite them over and let them install it for you and show you how to burn.

Jim,

Nothing else has worked, so why discount the OEM? Because it doesn't have phone support? I don't have that now. I know PCs and Macs and state again, have only used Adaptec/Roxio since it came out. If I knew anyone else to help me, I wouldn't be on a forum.

You have also overlooked the fact that playing and recording are two totally different applications. The fact that the drive can read data doesn't mean that it can write to a disc. The laser may be faulty - any number of possibilities

No, I found that it won't copy when I can get the UI to actually find the drives. When it does, it records CDs and DVDs just fine...just not the copy function.

You are thinking too hard :D

Everyone has been offering solutions or asking questions and you outsmart them, deciding you don't need to do it. But in the end, your install doesn't work and ours do…

Do the 4 and 10/11 that cd has listed. Only difference is might try copying the discs to your HD and make the install from there.

That could be. And I haven't meant to be a pain, I really need help. The solutions are the same that Roxio offered prior, and they have not helped. I have just went throught the list (4, 10 & 11) and did what I could (the computer would not allow me to dump the files, so I had to uninstall all 13 of them one by one and then dump the files. There were no UpperFilters or LowerFilters, as Roxio had me remove them on the last go around. The Installer Clean Up Utility would not let me look for Roxio specific programs, so I hope that did no damage and turns out alright. I've even uninstalled the PX Storage Engine folder. I completed restart and reinstall. Restarted the computer again, and...

Thanks Sarge,

I really did look! :rolleyes:

cd

The funny thing is I just bought a brand new HP photo printer that came with Roxio 9. I am so very tempted to uninstall 10...again...and install 9 to see what happens. I am so disgusted and disappointed that words cannot even express what a waste of time and funds this has been.

Worse, my options with Roxio seem to be: A) call them with premium tech support and spend another $28 to get the product up and running, if they can. or B)spend another $100 on the new Roxio 2009 version and take my chances that the last $200 will somehow be well spent and work. Oh, then there's C) Nero (which I've never used) and D) install Roxio 9, as per above.

If you were me, what would you do?

That could be. And I haven't meant to be a pain, I really need help. The solutions are the same that Roxio offered prior, and they have not helped. I have just went throught the list (4, 10 & 11) and did what I could (the computer would not allow me to dump the files, so I had to uninstall all 13 of them one by one and then dump the files. There were no UpperFilters or LowerFilters, as Roxio had me remove them on the last go around. The Installer Clean Up Utility would not let me look for Roxio specific programs, so I hope that did no damage and turns out alright. I've even uninstalled the PX Storage Engine folder. I completed restart and reinstall. Restarted the computer again, and...

Some more info creped into the thread…

Lets try this:

Do the Clean Install process until all is removed.

Do the Upper/Lower removal – make sure you have the correct Keys!

Reboot your PC and see if you can use the Built in Burning to burn a disc. – RW type disc would be nice at this point… If it burns then use the OS to erase.

Only if the burning works, Install EMC10.

The funny thing is I just bought a brand new HP photo printer that came with Roxio 9. I am so very tempted to uninstall 10...again...and install 9 to see what happens. I am so disgusted and disappointed that words cannot even express what a waste of time and funds this has been.

Worse, my options with Roxio seem to be: A) call them with premium tech support and spend another $28 to get the product up and running, if they can. or B)spend another $100 on the new Roxio 2009 version and take my chances that the last $200 will somehow be well spent and work. Oh, then there's C) Nero (which I've never used) and D) install Roxio 9, as per above.

If you were me, what would you do?

OEM Software? Whenever software comes with a piece of hardware here is what I do…

I follow an unbroken path from the box to the trash can. Works everytime!

What you need to do is to find someone whom you trust that knows PCs and burning. Invite them over and let them install it for you and show you how to burn.

Archived