Emc8 And Mydvd Problems

smachol@yahoo.com

Question

I just installed EMC8 and am having a horrible time trying to make a simple DVD Slide show with MyDVD8. I was able to do this easily with EMC 7.5 but unfortunately I uninstalled that version and no longer have it.

The bottom line is that MyDVD freezes for hours at a time. All I have to do is click on 'Add Slideshow' and that's it. Nothing happens and the app freezes.

It did work last night, albeit very very slowly. I would take 30-40 minutes to do anything and an hour before it woul begin processing the preview. I let it run all night hoping that it would work in the morning, but no such luck. The app crashed and I lost everything I had worked on for several hours.

I have 2 GB ram, Win XP Pro SP2 and an ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB card.

While writing this, MyDVD crashed again.

Any iodeas? I searched for updates but there were none.

4 answers to this question

I just installed EMC8 and am having a horrible time trying to make a simple DVD Slide show with MyDVD8. I was able to do this easily with EMC 7.5 but unfortunately I uninstalled that version and no longer have it.

The bottom line is that MyDVD freezes for hours at a time. All I have to do is click on 'Add Slideshow' and that's it. Nothing happens and the app freezes.

It did work last night, albeit very very slowly. I would take 30-40 minutes to do anything and an hour before it woul begin processing the preview. I let it run all night hoping that it would work in the morning, but no such luck. The app crashed and I lost everything I had worked on for several hours.

Most definitely something wrong, but if you let it go more than 10 minutes without activity, then the long wait is your fault. It is quite easy to get out of the program.

The first thing to do is look in the tray and see if you have disabled Roxwatch. If you haven't disabled it already, it is there, and needs to be disabled.

Then reboot, and see if it makes a difference.

Also, you failed to mention your processor speed. And, if you can't get things to operate properly, as is, there is no doubt in my mind that any update that you were looking for, would not have helped, even if there was one.

Most definitely something wrong, but if you let it go more than 10 minutes without activity, then the long wait is your fault. It is quite easy to get out of the program.

Yep, too patient. I was also doing other things. :)

The first thing to do is look in the tray and see if you have disabled Roxwatch. If you haven't disabled it already, it is there, and needs to be disabled.

No Roxwatch.

Then reboot, and see if it makes a difference.
Been there, done that. No difference.

Also, you failed to mention your processor speed.

That I did. Pentiun 4-2.8 Ghz with 2GB ram. This is well within the minimum specs.

And, if you can't get things to operate properly, as is, there is no doubt in my mind that any update that you were looking for, would not have helped, even if there was one.

Uh, okay. Thanks, I guess.

To reiterate, EMC 7.5 worked with no problems or delays. Unfortunately I removed that and gave 7.5 to my son. (Both were full versions - not upgrades.)

Let us know if you have the same problem with creating the slide show in VideoWave. That really a much better program for making slide shows. You can get there from the home application or from MyDVD.

Two more things. When you created the slide show did "Slide Show Assistant" open and that is what you used? I'm not a great fan of the assistants. The second thing if you just installed the program. Media Manager tries to catalog all the files on your computer by default. If you are working with the files while they are being cataloged, that would eat up all your CPU time and can cause crashes. Close it and select your choices for reopening by using the icon in the lower right of your screen or go to media manager. You can select what folders to watch.

MyDVD 8 is sort of a mongrel program with most of it designed by Roxio with some Sonic tweaks.

I used the Create DVD option in the main EMC 8 menu. No 'slide show assistant' was used. There were no separate options for MyDVD or VideoWave. I started Videowave directly and the splash screen has been displayed for over 5 minutes now. It still hasn't loaded yet.

Also Media Manager is not loaded either - although it was before.

FWIW I have no problems with this PC. All applications run fine and I regular check for spyware.

Let us know if you have the same problem with creating the slide show in VideoWave. That really a much better program for making slide shows. You can get there from the home application or from MyDVD.

Two more things. When you created the slide show did "Slide Show Assistant" open and that is what you used? I'm not a great fan of the assistants. The second thing if you just installed the program. Media Manager tries to catalog all the files on your computer by default. If you are working with the files while they are being cataloged, that would eat up all your CPU time and can cause crashes. Close it and select your choices for reopening by using the icon in the lower right of your screen or go to media manager. You can select what folders to watch.

MyDVD 8 is sort of a mongrel program with most of it designed by Roxio with some Sonic tweaks.

Archived