• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Top 10 Virus/other Threats For This Week.

sknis

"Quote:"

This Week's Top 10 Spyware Threats

A company appropriately calling itself Pandora Software has created a Rogue Security Program Antivirus XP 2008 (Winifixer). This is a rogue, malicious backdoor trojan folks that attempts to scare you into paying for useless anti-spyware protection by leading you to believe that your PC is infected with malware applications. I surely do hate clowns like this. Preying on people in such a manner is so covert and dishonorable to say the least.

These guys are scoundrels. Rogue Security Programs say that they will to scan and detect malware or other problems on the computer. What they really do is dupe users into purchasing the program by presenting them with intrusive, deceptive warnings and/or false, misleading scan results. Rogue Security Programs use aggressive, deceptive advertising and are installed without adequate notice and consent, often through exploits.

1. Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec - Trojan Downloader

2. Antivirus XP 2008 (Winifixer) - Rogue Security Program

3. Trojan.Hacktool.YMFlooder.B - E-Mail Flooder

4. Trojan.TDSServ - Trojan

5. Rootkit.Win32.Clbd.hf - Rootkit

6. Virtumonde - Adware (General)

7. Adware.NetAdware.Gen - Toolbar

8. Trojan.FakeAlert - Trojan

9. INF.Autorun (v) - Trojan

10. Trojan.NewMediaCodec - Trojan Downloader

I would put Virtumonde at the top of that list - I've recently had to work on some computers that were infected with it - removal is a total nightmare (nothing seems able to remove it in the standard AV/Spyware apps)

You have to go through a complicated process (which will also remove all your cookies, stored passwords etc). It does get rid of it, but a 'format C:\' would probably be faster than going through the cleanup process on that sucker

• 1 month later...
I would put Virtumonde at the top of that list - I've recently had to work on some computers that were infected with it - removal is a total nightmare (nothing seems able to remove it in the standard AV/Spyware apps)

You have to go through a complicated process (which will also remove all your cookies, stored passwords etc). It does get rid of it, but a 'format C:\' would probably be faster than going through the cleanup process on that sucker

Hey Guys,

I am new on this forum, so let me know if i mess something up.

But my question is, i recently inquired this virtumonde thing, and dont want to format c, have to much information. Has any had success on getting this off there system. if so can you tell me how to do it so i can save my information.

stoney

Hey Guys,

I am new on this forum, so let me know if i mess something up.

But my question is, i recently inquired this virtumonde thing, and dont want to format c, have to much information. Has any had success on getting this off there system. if so can you tell me how to do it so i can save my information.

stoney

Not having had the "pleasure" of dealing with this nasty myself, I would suggest you do a google search on "virtumonde removal" (without the quotes). You'll get plenty of hits.

Run Spybot S&D - it won't get rid of it, but there is a link when it finds it which will refer you to their forum - you have to run a couple of programs to get a log and then forward that to their forum and they will tell you what to do there. The problem with virtumonde is it metamorphises and is never the same twice

Believe me - format c:\ and re-install is a LOT simpler than trying to get rid of that thing. Haul your data off onto a pen drive (it should be clean) as virtumonde moves into C:\windows and runs as a TSR but you can always scan the data on the pen drive, DVD or whatever before putting it back

I guess I have been pretty lucky not to have gotten bitten with some of these nasty viruses, But there have been a couple of times some time ago that I just couldn't seem to getrid of it and finally working with "Safe Mode" I managed to get rid of it. But as Daithi has suggested, some of these suckers are terrible to get rid of.

Frank...

Archived