Hasta Be A Bug!

Ed Stoessel

Question

I created a DVD disk image file and tried to burn a DVD from it. I selected the Copy mode with the image file option. The DVD image contains a 45 minute video with menus and scene selection. It also contains a data area where I put various files (JPEGs, html, Photoshop, etc. documents).

About two-thirds of the way thru the burn, Toast 9.0.2 stops on an error. The error message reads:

The file "Saint Pets School 1973#1871.jpg" could not be accessed. (Resource fork, -43)

The actual file name is 32 characters in length, perhaps coincidentally only 1 character longer than the previous maximum of 31 characters under OS 9.x.

I tried to burn this image file on two different burners (one internal, one external to my Mac) with the same result. I cannot burn this image to DVD on a second Mac either -- as long as I try to use Toast 9.0.2 to burn the DVD. It fails every time. I even created a new user account, as if a second computer wasn't sufficient demonstration, and got the same result.

BUT: If I use Disk Utility to burn the image file to DVD, the DVD burns without a problem. Both burners, both computers.

When burning a disk image to DVD, why on earth is Toast looking at file names within the image file? Shouldn't this be a straight replication of zeros and ones? I have had more failures with Toast 9 than successes and sure would like to get this software to work as it should on my computers.

PowerMac Dual 2GHz, OS 10.4.11. Second machine is a PowerMac G4, same OS and Toast version.

Thanks for any help. I hope product support reads this post.

Ed

2 answers to this question

I don't believe Toast will include the data portion of a video DVD disc image when using the Copy window. I'm presuming your disc image includes a VIDEO_TS folder.

What you need to do in this case is mount the disc image, choose DVD-ROM (UDF) as the format in the Data window and add the contents from the mounted disc image. Now burn your DVD.

That was good advice. Thank you! The disc image was originally created by Toast as a DVD-ROM, so I assumed that I could simply burn a copy using Toast. It's strange that Toast doesn't have an option to do that when Disk Utility handles the task without a problem. By the way, I was able to burn a DVD-ROM of the disc image file itself, but that doesn't produce a DVD-ROM that can be played in a DVD player.

Thanks again,

Ed

I don't believe Toast will include the data portion of a video DVD disc image when using the Copy window. I'm presuming your disc image includes a VIDEO_TS folder.

What you need to do in this case is mount the disc image, choose DVD-ROM (UDF) as the format in the Data window and add the contents from the mounted disc image. Now burn your DVD.

Archived