Problem Defining Tracks In Spin Doctor

billinrio

Question

I often want to split tracks of classical music that I have made into single files from LPs and from reel to reel tapes. I don't particularly mind defining the tracks manually. But even at maximum zoom, the waveform display in Toast (v.9.0.2) Spin Doctor (5.0.1.617t) isn't large enough for me to be able to accurately mark the track divisions. And I find the program's "Auto Define" option to be quite useless, since it typically makes far too many (or not enough) tracks that in no way correspond to the pauses between movements of the music. In the "Preferences/Waveform & Tracks" window there are three auto-define controls: Sensitivity, Minimum Track Duration, and Minimum Length of Silence". For me, these controls are not intuitive. When Spin Doctor identifies too few tracks, or too many tracks, what should I do?

Moreover, after a few attempts at defining the tracks, the application suddenly quits.

I'm using an iMac with OSX 10.5.4, a 3.06 GHz processor, 4GB of SDRAM, and the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS chipset.

The Spin Doctor version is 5.0.1.617t.

Can anyone provide me with guidance on any of this?

Thanks very much

Bill

7 answers to this question

Thanks for your reply; its good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I was able, at least, to solve the problem of zooming in sufficiently on the wave forms by going to Preferences/Waveform&Tracks and unclicking "Limit zoom range to improve performance". But the automatic track defining problem remains.

I'm not a fan of the automatic track marking. It only is useful when capturing from LPs or tapes where there is a clear multi-second break between tracks. There is no way to adjust its sensitivity to work with classical recordings.

I'm glad you found how to enlarge the waveform. What I often do is look at the times reported for tracks on my LPs and make manual track selections at approximately those times. I then zoom in to fine tune the actual start and end times. Listening with headphones is a big help.

I'm not a fan of the automatic track marking. It only is useful when capturing from LPs or tapes where there is a clear multi-second break between tracks. There is no way to adjust its sensitivity to work with classical recordings.

I'm glad you found how to enlarge the waveform. What I often do is look at the times reported for tracks on my LPs and make manual track selections at approximately those times. I then zoom in to fine tune the actual start and end times. Listening with headphones is a big help.

Yours are good suggestions. Thank you. I have a 71/2 ips reel to reel tape of Gould playing the Bach partitas. There are forty movements in all, and often almost no time between them. But I was hoping that the automatic track identification would be useful. It wasn't, and I just spent a few hours dividing the tracks manually while looking at the wave form. Its quite a bit of work, since you also have to enter the name of each movement for the tags. Having the track times would be very useful, but all too often neither LPs nor tapes provide them.

Come to think of it, maybe I should have just divided the recording into the 6 partitas. After all, how often does one think, "I'd like to listen to the Sarabande of BWV 828"?

If you're willing to listen through the long composition you want to mark into sections, do the following:

Open the pre-recorded audio file.

Select (in the upper right corner of the CD SD window) the button with the single arrow above the words Track Mode.

Start the file playing.

Click on the button above the word Action

A drop-down menu should appear.

When you come to a spot where you want to define the beginning of a new track, release the menu on the item Add Track to Playhead.

When the file has finished playing, choose Save Active Tracks from the File menu.

In order to save time if the file is very long, you can also skip to a spot just before the place where you'll want to define a track, start the file playing from there.

[Note: I am a musician, so this method is by far the easiest for me. I understand that some might find it difficult to distinguish musical sections "by ear".]

An alternative:

You might want to check out "Final Vinyl":

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16442

This program will allow you to mark tracks in a similar manner, but you can simply click on a button rather than prepare/select a drop-down menu action.

I have some other about Track Names...

I have managed to get track names into a full LP. In order to be safe, I have saved the file. When I reopen the file, the track names are gone. Is this standard or am I doing something wrong?

If I apply filters to the files, it seems to take forever (probably the better part of 30 minutes) to apply the filters and save the file. Is this a function of my older Macs speed or Spin Doctor? The same is true when I save to iTunes.

Thanks

Ron

I have some other about Track Names...

I have managed to get track names into a full LP. In order to be safe, I have saved the file. When I reopen the file, the track names are gone. Is this standard or am I doing something wrong?

If I apply filters to the files, it seems to take forever (probably the better part of 30 minutes) to apply the filters and save the file. Is this a function of my older Macs speed or Spin Doctor? The same is true when I save to iTunes.

Thanks

Ron

The track names remain for me. You might try trashing the spin doctor plist file in your User>Library>Preferences folder (it has deepsea in its name). I don't know if the speed you're experiencing is normal for your Mac.

I often want to split tracks of classical music that I have made into single files from LPs and from reel to reel tapes. I don't particularly mind defining the tracks manually. But even at maximum zoom, the waveform display in Spin Doctor isn't large enough for me to be able to accurately mark the track divisions. And I find the program's "Auto Define" option to be quite useless, since it typically makes far too many (or not enough) tracks that in no way correspond to the pauses between movements of the music. In the "Preferences/Waveform & Tracks" window there are three auto-define controls: Sensitivity, Minimum Track Duration, and Minimum Length of Silence". For me, these controls are not intuitive. When Spin Doctor identifies too few tracks, or too many tracks, what should I do?

Moreover, after a few attempts at defining the tracks, the application suddenly quits.

I have had the same problems with track divisions. Has anyone found a 'generic' set of settings to use with Toast's "Preference/Waveform & Tracks" that does a decent job? Or, will this vary so much from record to record that it impossible to set a generic setting? All my attempts so far seem to identify too many tracks.

Thanks

Ron

I have had the same problems with track divisions. Has anyone found a 'generic' set of settings to use with Toast's "Preference/Waveform & Tracks" that does a decent job? Or, will this vary so much from record to record that it impossible to set a generic setting? All my attempts so far seem to identify too many tracks.

Thanks

Ron

Thanks for your reply; its good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I was able, at least, to solve the problem of zooming in sufficiently on the wave forms by going to Preferences/Waveform&Tracks and unclicking "Limit zoom range to improve performance". But the automatic track defining problem remains.

Archived