Missing Certificate File

boscobuddy

Question

I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition installed on my computer. It came bundled with some other software that I brought. Whenever I drag, copy, or move a file from one place to another, the Windows Installer for Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition comes up, with the option to cancel. Each time I cancel it, it comes back up again, until finally I get a Severe Error Message, saying that it's "Unable to find a certificate file." When I click OK on this error message, I get another Severe Error Message saying "There was a problem authenticating your version. Please make sure your system is set to the current date." After going thru this process several times, it finally lets me drag, copy, or move what I was trying to in the first place. I have tried uninstalling, re-installing by overwriting, hoping to repair whatever is at fault, and deleting the whole Roxio Easy Media folder in Windows Explorer. I've even tried installing the full version of Roxio Easy Media Creator 6, in hopes that the missing certificate file would be there. Nothing works. Where do I get the certificate file, so that Windows will stop trying to install the Roxio Easy Media 7 Basic Edition? What I would really like, is to get the Roxio program off my computer all together. Any suggestions?

boscobuddy

7 answers to this question

Hi

It's boscobuddy again. I'm the one with the original issue on this thread. All this talk is well and good, but does anybody have a solution to find the missing certificate file or get this roxio program off my computer once and for all? I've tried the various solutions offered here, and the problem is still not solved. I even went into My Computer, and tried to delet all the parts of the program that I could find. There were two system files that were in the Roxio folder that couldn't be deleted. One was a Targetfinder .dll. I'm no longer interested in reinstalling or fixing the program. I just want the #$^@ thing off my computer.

boscobuddy

Hi

It's boscobuddy again. I'm the one with the original issue on this thread. All this talk is well and good, but does anybody have a solution to find the missing certificate file or get this roxio program off my computer once and for all? I've tried the various solutions offered here, and the problem is still not solved. I even went into My Computer, and tried to delet all the parts of the program that I could find. There were two system files that were in the Roxio folder that couldn't be deleted. One was a Targetfinder .dll. I'm no longer interested in reinstalling or fixing the program. I just want the #$^@ thing off my computer.

boscobuddy

To remove bits & pieces manually will simply screw up the registsry because you will have registry entries that don't point anywhere.

That's why Microsoft's registry cleanup utility was recommended.

Lynn

Hi

boscobuddy

A format C:/ should work.

I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition installed on my computer. It came bundled with some other software that I brought. Whenever I drag, copy, or move a file from one place to another, the Windows Installer for Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition comes up, with the option to cancel. Each time I cancel it, it comes back up again, until finally I get a Severe Error Message, saying that it's "Unable to find a certificate file." When I click OK on this error message, I get another Severe Error Message saying "There was a problem authenticating your version. Please make sure your system is set to the current date." After going thru this process several times, it finally lets me drag, copy, or move what I was trying to in the first place. I have tried uninstalling, re-installing by overwriting, hoping to repair whatever is at fault, and deleting the whole Roxio Easy Media folder in Windows Explorer. I've even tried installing the full version of Roxio Easy Media Creator 6, in hopes that the missing certificate file would be there. Nothing works. Where do I get the certificate file, so that Windows will stop trying to install the Roxio Easy Media 7 Basic Edition? What I would really like, is to get the Roxio program off my computer all together. Any suggestions?

boscobuddy

1. Fix registry permissions

a. Click on "Start" choose "Run", then type "regedit" and click "OK".

b. In the Registry Editor, click on the "+" next to "HKEY_Local_Machine".

c. Now click on the "+" next to "Software".

d. Right-click on the key (folder) called "Roxio" and choose "Permissions".

e. Make sure that "Administrators" and "System" have checkmarks for "Full Control" - "Allow".( This does not apply in win2000!)

f. If you had to add those checkmarks, click on "Apply".

g. Click on "Advanced".

h. Put a checkmark in "Replace permission entries on all child objects with the entries shown here that apply to child objects".

i. Click "OK".

j. Click "OK" again.

k. Now close the Registry Editor

e. Make sure that "Administrators" and "System" have checkmarks for "Full Control" - "Allow".( This does not apply in win2000!)

g. Click on "Advanced".

h. Put a checkmark in "Replace permission entries on all child objects with the entries shown here that apply to child objects".

i. Click "OK".

j. Click "OK" again.

g. Click on "Advanced".

i. Click "OK".

j. Click "OK" again.

Hi Paul

I followed the above instructions, and it didn't fix the problem. Full Control, Allow, and Replace permission entries were already checked. Got any other suggertions. Like I said, I would much rather get version 7 off of my computer all together, and just re-install the full version 6. But the problem with that, is that I can't delete or completely remove version 7.

Jack

Hi Paul

I followed the above instructions, and it didn't fix the problem. Full Control, Allow, and Replace permission entries were already checked. Got any other suggertions. Like I said, I would much rather get version 7 off of my computer all together, and just re-install the full version 6. But the problem with that, is that I can't delete or completely remove version 7.

Jack

Try the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to remove the program.

Cleanup

I had the same problem, I kept getting messages "Unable to find a certificate file." and "There was a problem authenticating your version", and I could not do anything about it. I did exactly what Lynn recommended, I downloaded the Windows Install Cleanup, and finally got rid of Easy Media Creator 7, problem resolved.

Archived