I Can't Add My Movies...!

gollummm

Question

Hi, I would REALLY appriciate some help with this...

When I'm adding a movie into Roxio MyDvd there's a message saying:

"Could not make thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installed. -47010"

The strange thing is that a FEW of my movies have been accepted and worked fine... But the most gets that message.

Also, I'm just using the allowed .avi or .mpg sorts so thats not where the problem lies...

What should I do? Is there some decoder I must install to be able to add my movies? Where can I find one?

5 answers to this question

Hi, I would REALLY appriciate some help with this...

When I'm adding a movie into Roxio MyDvd there's a message saying:

"Could not make thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installed. -47010"

The strange thing is that a FEW of my movies have been accepted and worked fine... But the most gets that message.

Also, I'm just using the allowed .avi or .mpg sorts so thats not where the problem lies...

What should I do? Is there some decoder I must install to be able to add my movies? Where can I find one?

avi files have different 'containers' such as divx and xvid. If you don't have the proper codecs, this could be the problem. However, Sonic's support site does mention this error as well as a few tivo sites. Here's Sonic's suggestions:

Symptom

When trying to import a video file, the message "Cannot complete last command, could not make thumbnail. Make sure you have the right decoder installed. DVDErr - 47010." pops up.

Solution

Sonic is currently looking into the exact cause of this error.

Right now, we have seen this error occur in a couple of instances. The first being that when a user uses scene detection while capturing the video. Try disbaling automatic Scene Detection while capturing and see if the problem imporoves. In some case, glitchy or old VHS tapes have a hard time being converted into the small video thumbnails. With Scene Detection activated, the large number of thumnails maybe cause the error. Again, Sonic is looking into the exact root of the problem and will update this page as soon as more is known.

Another reason for this problem could be the files are being imported may either be corrupt or not compliant for either a VCD or DVD. Make sure that you go through the parameters of a compliant files with the links below. Points of interest are the resolution, frame rate, and audio sampling rate.

Some customers have also encountered this error while capturing from their DV devices via firewire. Some common errors that can occur to get a decoding error through firewire:

1 Make sure that the firewire card/port is OHCI compliant for data. Many cards claim to be OHCI compliant for data use, but are not. The largest offender are cards made by video companies. We have seen many problems with cards made companies like Matrox, Pinnacle and other companies that also bundle or package their software with the 1394 card. These firewire software bundles sometimes add proprietary information through the actual firewire card that can encoding/decoding errors. Sonic's customers have the best luck with Adaptec, Keyspan, and Belkin firewire cards.

2 Make sure that your firewire drivers are OHCI compliant. The most common offender for non-compliant drivers is Texas Instruments. These are usually included with Dell computers. While the t say they are OHCI compliant, they are not as Adobe has also made a statement about their non-compliance in their Premiere "read me" documentation. To make your drivers' OHCI compliant, follow the steps below:

a) Right click on "My Computer" Select "properties"

:) Click on "Hardware" tab-->Device Manager

c) IN Device Manager window, drop down "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller." If the driver below doesn't say "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller", Right Click on that driver and select "Properties".

d) Click "Update Driver"

e) In the Hardware Wizard, click on the "install from a list or specific location." Click Next.

f) Select "Don't Search". Click Next.

g) Select "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". Click Next. Driver begins to be installed.

h) Click Finish on next window.

3 The final reason could be the actual video from the camera. Some things to check:

a) there are no major glitches in the video stream

:huh: The audio is 48k/16 bit stereo

c) Your are not capturing 16:9 (while we do support 16:9 video, most cameras do not add the necessary "flag" in the video stream that required by the DVD specification to ensure the aspect ration will be maintained).

Finally, this error can also happen when there is a large set of conflicting codecs on the same machine as MyDVD. These codecs are interfering with MyDVD's video filters thus MyDVD cannot read the files properly.

Remove any codecs that are not associated with MyDVD and Windows. Remove them one at a time until MyDVD works and then reinstall the codecs that previous to the offense codec.

avi files have different 'containers' such as divx and xvid. If you don't have the proper codecs, this could be the problem. However, Sonic's support site does mention this error as well as a few tivo sites. Here's Sonic's suggestions:

Symptom

When trying to import a video file, the message "Cannot complete last command, could not make thumbnail. Make sure you have the right decoder installed. DVDErr - 47010." pops up.

Solution

Sonic is currently looking into the exact cause of this error.

--------------------------------------------

Sonic is looking into the exact root of the problem and will update this page as soon as more is known.

----------------------------------------------

Finally, this error can also happen when there is a large set of conflicting codecs on the same machine as MyDVD. These codecs are interfering with MyDVD's video filters thus MyDVD cannot read the files properly.

Remove any codecs that are not associated with MyDVD and Windows. Remove them one at a time until MyDVD works and then reinstall the codecs that previous to the offense codec.

Q1 - As Sonic have been 'looking into' this since at least Apr 2006, have they, or anyone, found a solution??

Q2 - As it's probably related to a codes conflict, how do you remove individual codecs when it was a codec pack?, eg K Lite Codec pack.

Thanks

JS

Q1 - As Sonic have been 'looking into' this since at least Apr 2006, have they, or anyone, found a solution??

Really don't know.

Q2 - As it's probably related to a codes conflict, how do you remove individual codecs when it was a codec pack?, eg K Lite Codec pack.

It should be listed in the control panel under Add/Remove programs. I don't usually suggest codec paks as they don't always give you the choice of what to install. I prefer to use individual codecs that I can pick and choose to install. Sometimes, in the Start/Programs directory, you have a choice to uninstall the packs as well.

Also, this is a very old post and if you have problems, you might want to post a new message.

Archived