Praetor

Include Dvd-rom Content Checkbox

Question

I have a question about a feature in Toast 9.0.2. On my Mac hard drive, I have a folder called "DVDMovie". Inside this folder is another folder called "VIDEO_TS" which is a copy of an unprotected DVD. Here is what I am doing:

First open Toast, then select the Video section.

Click on "VIDEO_TS Folders".

Click the Add button at the bottom of the window and add the VIDEO_TS folder from the Mac hard drive. The folder is added to Toast. The name is the same as the parent folder of the VIDEO_TS folder. In this case, the name is "DVDMovie".

Next to the folder, there is an Options button. Click the Options button.

Next to Video, click on the list and choose Custom. Then make sure all items are enabled.

At the bottom of the window, there is a checkbox called "Include DVD-ROM Content". What is the purpose of this option? I read the Toast user guide and could not find any information on this.

Edited by Praetor

17 answers to this question

If you wanted to add data files or folders to the disc you'd check this box and go to the Data window. There you'd choose DVD-ROM(UDF) as the format, click New Disc and give it the same name as your video DVD disc and add those files and folders. Then return to the video window to click the burn button.

You probably have many commercial DVDs that have special content for viewing on a computer. This is one example of how this capability can be used.

If you wanted to add data files or folders to the disc you'd check this box and go to the Data window. There you'd choose DVD-ROM(UDF) as the format, click New Disc and give it the same name as your video DVD disc and add those files and folders. Then return to the video window to click the burn button.

You probably have many commercial DVDs that have special content for viewing on a computer. This is one example of how this capability can be used.

I tried the above steps but they did not work. After I burned the DVD, I mounted it in the Finder and checked the contents. The DVD contains VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, but none of the extra data files. Here is what I have on my Mac hard drive:

MY_DVD folder

>VIDEO_TS

>some picture files

I checked the "Include DVD-ROM content" box. Then I went to the Data section, chose DVD-ROM(UDF), added the extra picture files, and renamed New Disc so it is the same as the DVD title, which is "MY_DVD". Then I went back to the Video > VIDEO_TS folders section and clicked burn. Result: The burned DVD is missing the extra picture files.

I also have Popcorn 2, which also has the "Include DVD-ROM content" option. When this box is checked in Popcorn 2, any additional files and folders that are in the same hierarchy as the VIDEO_TS folder are automatically written to the DVD. So in my example, the result will be a DVD named "MY_DVD" which contains the VIDEO_TS folder plus those extra picture files at the root of the DVD. There is no need to switch back and forth between different DVD projects. Isn't this how Toast 9 should work?

Toast 8 also has this problem. I have opened numerous support tickets and carefully explained the issue and all the steps I took. But all I got were canned, generic responses which did not address the issue at all. It appears that the people copying and pasting those responses did not understand the issue at all. They told me that I would have to get Toast 9 in order to add extra data content. So I got Toast 9, hoping that the "Include DVD-ROM content" option would work correctly like it does in Popcorn 2. Unfortunately, that option still does not work correctly in Toast 9, and Roxio's tech support is of no help.

Edited by Praetor

I tried the above steps but they did not work. After I burned the DVD, I mounted it in the Finder and checked the contents. The DVD contains VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, but none of the extra data files. Here is what I have on my Mac hard drive:

MY_DVD folder

>VIDEO_TS

>some picture files

I checked the "Include DVD-ROM content" box. Then I went to the Data section, chose DVD-ROM(UDF), added the extra picture files, and renamed New Disc so it is the same as the DVD title, which is "MY_DVD". Then I went back to the Video > VIDEO_TS folders section and clicked burn. Result: The burned DVD is missing the extra picture files.

I also have Popcorn 2, which also has the "Include DVD-ROM content" option. When this box is checked in Popcorn 2, any additional files and folders that are in the same hierarchy as the VIDEO_TS folder are automatically written to the DVD. So in my example, the result will be a DVD named "MY_DVD" which contains the VIDEO_TS folder plus those extra picture files at the root of the DVD. There is no need to switch back and forth between different DVD projects. Isn't this how Toast 9 should work?

Toast 8 also has this problem. I have opened numerous support tickets and carefully explained the issue and all the steps I took. But all I got were canned, generic responses which did not address the issue at all. It appears that the people copying and pasting those responses did not understand the issue at all. They told me that I would have to get Toast 9 in order to add extra data content. So I got Toast 9, hoping that the "Include DVD-ROM content" option would work correctly like it does in Popcorn 2. Unfortunately, that option still does not work correctly in Toast 9, and Roxio's tech support is of no help.

I'm having this problem too with Toast 9.0.1 - however unlike you my folder of images (at the same hierarchy level as my VIDEO_TS file) does not get copied to the DVD using Popcorn 3 :(

I'm having this problem too with Toast 9.0.1 - however unlike you my folder of images (at the same hierarchy level as my VIDEO_TS file) does not get copied to the DVD using Popcorn 3 :(

Popcorn does not have the ability to add data content. This requires Toast. If you already have a VIDEO_TS folder and just want to add some data content in Toast then do it all in the Data window and don't use the VIDEO window. Choose DVD-ROM (UDF) as the format in the Data window. Click New Disc and give it a name. Add the VIDEO_TS folder and all other folders you want that can fit. Toast automatically adds an empty AUDIO_TS folder when you click the burn button.

Popcorn does not have the ability to add data content. This requires Toast. If you already have a VIDEO_TS folder and just want to add some data content in Toast then do it all in the Data window and don't use the VIDEO window. Choose DVD-ROM (UDF) as the format in the Data window. Click New Disc and give it a name. Add the VIDEO_TS folder and all other folders you want that can fit. Toast automatically adds an empty AUDIO_TS folder when you click the burn button.

Your statement about Popcorn is not true. Popcorn 2.0 does have the ability to add data content. See the previous response, dated Sep 12 2008, 06:53 PM. In Popcorn 2.0, I can select the "Include DVD-ROM content" option and it will copy any additional data that is in the same hierarchy as the VIDEO_TS folder. I just tried it now in Popcorn 2.0, and I was able to burn a VIDEO_TS folder, along with a single picture file, and a folder containing a text file.

Furthermore, the DVD-ROM (UDF) project in Toast does not provide automatic compression to fit a large VIDEO_TS onto a single layer DVD. So if you want to automatically compress a VIDEO_TS folder, you have to use the VIDEO project. The "Include DVD-ROM content" option in Popcorn 2.0 can compress a VIDEO_TS folder while adding extra files onto the DVD.

The problem is that the "Include DVD-ROM content" option in Popcorn 3, Toast 8, and Toast 9 does not work at all. But nobody wants to admit it or address it. All they have to do is test the feature using Popcorn 2.0. I have even provided the steps. Then try the same thing in Popcorn 3, Toast 8, and Toast 9. They will see that it works in Popcorn 2.0 but not in any of the newer applications. I have opened numerous support tickets, but Roxio's tech support was completely unhelpful. All they did was copy and paste generic responses which did not address the issue at all. Since Roxio's tech support is of no use, is there anyone higher up that we can complain to?

Edited by Praetor

Your statement about Popcorn is not true. Popcorn 2.0 does have the ability to add data content. See the previous response, dated Sep 12 2008, 06:53 PM. In Popcorn 2.0, I can select the "Include DVD-ROM content" option and it will copy any additional data that is in the same hierarchy as the VIDEO_TS folder. I just tried it now in Popcorn 2.0, and I was able to burn a VIDEO_TS folder, along with a single picture file, and a folder containing a text file.

Furthermore, the DVD-ROM (UDF) project in Toast does not provide automatic compression to fit a large VIDEO_TS onto a single layer DVD. So if you want to automatically compress a VIDEO_TS folder, you have to use the VIDEO project. The "Include DVD-ROM content" option in Popcorn 2.0 can compress a VIDEO_TS folder while adding extra files onto the DVD.

The problem is that the "Include DVD-ROM content" option in Popcorn 3, Toast 8, and Toast 9 does not work at all. But nobody wants to admit it or address it. All they have to do is test the feature using Popcorn 2.0. I have even provided the steps. Then try the same thing in Popcorn 3, Toast 8, and Toast 9. They will see that it works in Popcorn 2.0 but not in any of the newer applications. I have opened numerous support tickets, but Roxio's tech support was completely unhelpful. All they did was copy and paste generic responses which did not address the issue at all. Since Roxio's tech support is of no use, is there anyone higher up that we can complain to?

What I am referring to is when Toast or Popcorn 3 are being used to create a VIDEO_TS folder and not when the source is an existing VIDEO_TS folder. The ability to author a VIDEO_TS folder was added in Popcorn 3 and could not be done in Popcorn 2.

Toast will add data content when DVD-video is selected as the format in the Video window. It does not do this when choosing DVD video from VIDEO_TS. In the latter, Toast only accesses the VIDEO_TS folder and not any other content. If you want to copy the data content along with the VIDEO_TS folder then use the DVD-ROM (UDF) setting in the Data window for everything. Choose New Disc and then drag all the files and folders including the VIDEO_TS to the data window. Then burn to whatever size DVD is required. There is no option for fit-to-DVD in this case. Since Popcorn 3 does not have a Data window it cannot do this.

Something else to note is that making a disc image with data content and then burning it with the Copy window probably won't include the data content. That is because the fit-to-DVD option becomes available so Toast only sees the VIDEO_TS folder. If you make a disc image that has both a VIDEO_TS folder and data content then you must mount the disc image and drag the content to the Data window as I describe above.

Thanks for sharing the info about how Popcorn 2 handles VIDEO_TS folders differently than Popcorn 3.

What I am referring to is when Toast or Popcorn 3 are being used to create a VIDEO_TS folder and not when the source is an existing VIDEO_TS folder. The ability to author a VIDEO_TS folder was added in Popcorn 3 and could not be done in Popcorn 2.

Toast will add data content when DVD-video is selected as the format in the Video window. It does not do this when choosing DVD video from VIDEO_TS. In the latter, Toast only accesses the VIDEO_TS folder and not any other content. If you want to copy the data content along with the VIDEO_TS folder then use the DVD-ROM (UDF) setting in the Data window for everything. Choose New Disc and then drag all the files and folders including the VIDEO_TS to the data window. Then burn to whatever size DVD is required. There is no option for fit-to-DVD in this case. Since Popcorn 3 does not have a Data window it cannot do this.

Something else to note is that making a disc image with data content and then burning it with the Copy window probably won't include the data content. That is because the fit-to-DVD option becomes available so Toast only sees the VIDEO_TS folder. If you make a disc image that has both a VIDEO_TS folder and data content then you must mount the disc image and drag the content to the Data window as I describe above.

Thanks for sharing the info about how Popcorn 2 handles VIDEO_TS folders differently than Popcorn 3.

The topic of this discussion is the "Include DVD-ROM Content" option not working when using the VIDEO > VIDEO_TS Folder function. The other poster was also referring to this. But then you started referring to authoring a VIDEO_TS folder or using DVD-ROM (UDF). So your response did not really address the issue.

There is a giant elephant in the room, and everybody seems to be ignoring it. Everyone is saying "You can't do that in Toast", or "You have to do it this way". But they are ignoring a key piece of information.

FACT: When you use Popcorn 3, Toast 8 or Toast 9 and choose Video > VIDEO_TS Folder, then drag a VIDEO_TS folder into the Toast window, then click the Options button, then set Video to Custom, there will be a checkbox called "Include DVD-ROM Content". When this box is checked, it will display the words "Content will be copied from the same location as the VIDEO_TS folder".

FACT: In Popcorn 3, Toast 8 and Toast 9, selecting this option does nothing. The other data files are not copied to the DVD, despite displaying the text "Content will be copied from the same location as the VIDEO_TS folder" when this box is checked.

Selecting the "Include DVD-ROM Content" option is supposed to provide the same functionality as selecting that same option in Popcorn 2.0. It is supposed to automatically copy any files that are in the same hierarchy as the VIDEO_TS folder onto the DVD. It is also supposed to support compressing the VIDEO_TS folder while still copying the other data files. The fact that this option does nothing in Popcorn 3, Toast 8 and Toast 9 is a bug that needs to be fixed. Popcorn 3, Toast 8 and Toast 9 need to be fixed so the "Include DVD-ROM Content" option actually does what it is supposed to do. So instead of telling people it can't be done, or telling people to use DVD-ROM (UDF) or create disk images, the solution is to fix the "Include DVD-ROM Content" option so it actually works.

Edited by Praetor

Is anyone going to address this issue at all? I have submitted numerous support tickets, but all I got were generic, canned responses. Even though I listed the steps I tried, it seems that the Roxio support agents did not even bother to try and reproduce the issue. All they did was copy and paste generic responses without even understanding the issue. The "Include DVD-Rom content" option works properly in Popcorn 2, and Popcorn 2 is able to add additional data files to a DVD while compressing a VIDEO_TS folder. So one would expect the "Include DVD-Rom content" option to also work properly in Popcorn 3, Toast 8, and Toast 9. Since Roxio's tech support is useless, is there anyone higher up that we can complain to?

Is anyone going to address this issue at all? I have submitted numerous support tickets, but all I got were generic, canned responses. Even though I listed the steps I tried, it seems that the Roxio support agents did not even bother to try and reproduce the issue. All they did was copy and paste generic responses without even understanding the issue. The "Include DVD-Rom content" option works properly in Popcorn 2, and Popcorn 2 is able to add additional data files to a DVD while compressing a VIDEO_TS folder. So one would expect the "Include DVD-Rom content" option to also work properly in Popcorn 3, Toast 8, and Toast 9. Since Roxio's tech support is useless, is there anyone higher up that we can complain to?

I suspect that the issue won't be addressed by anyone in the Roxio forums. I've tested this and you are correct that the option to add data content in the custom setting does not work. It's a bug. It's irritating. It may never be fixed for all I know. Toast 9 has a Provide Feedback link in its Help menu. That's the only way I know to reach someone "higher up."

The alternative is to do one of the following:

1) If you don't need to modify or compress the VIDEO_TS folder then choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format in the Data window and add the VIDEO_TS folder and the data files and folders there, then burn the DVD.

2) If you want to select individual titles, choose audio streams, and/or want to compress the contents to fit a single-layer disc along with the data content, choose DVD video as the format and use the Media Browser to extract individual titles from the VIDEO_TS folder and set up the menu the way you want. (First put the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop so it can be seen by the Media Browser when DVD is selected with the browser's top button). Add the data content to the data window and check "Add data content in the Disc tab of the "More" window. For compression you'd need to choose Always re-encode in the custom encoder settings window.

Thanks for the "Alternative" tsantee--worked like a charm, first time I tried. Hate that we have to use a workaround, but glad y'all figured it out for us. Cheers!

Besides Roxio not fixing this problem in Toast 9, the most frustrating part of this issue is Roxio's tech support not even understanding the issue. I have opened numerous tickets and carefully explained the issue, along with providing detailed steps to reproduce the issue. But it looks like the tech support agents do not even take the time to read what people write, or to actually run the application and verify the issue for themselves. Every time I opened a ticket, they just gave a bunch of generic, canned responses which were copied and pasted from some script. And those generic responses did not even address this specific issue. Instead, they just repeat things like "Make sure the DVD is inserted with the label facing up".

Does anyone know if "Include DVD-Rom Content" works correctly in Toast 10? I will not purchase any new version of Toast until the "Include DVD-Rom Content" option works correctly.

Edited by Praetor

Praetor- to address your original question as to what checking the "Include DVD-Rom Content" is actually suppose to do, it should work just as it did for you with Popcorn 2. Checking the box should include any extra content on the DVD where the Video_TS Folder is located. If you have a current Video_TS Folder and would like to author a DVD with additional personal content such as photos or music to view on your computer you would then use the DVD-Rom (UDF) format. You would simply add the Video_TS Folder to the project window along with any other data you want included on the DVD. The QA group at Roxio is now aware of this issue and are looking into it. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Benndogg,

Using "DVD-Rom (UDF)" does not compress a large VIDEO_TS folder to fit onto a single layer DVD. That is why we need to use VIDEO_TS Folder as the project type, and why we need the "Include DVD-Rom Content" option to work correctly.

Edited by Praetor

It has been almost a year since this topic was started. When is Roxio going to fix this bug? It's not like we are asking for a totally new feature. The "Include DVD-Rom Content" checkbox is a feature that has never worked correctly in Toast 9 or Popcorn 3. And from what I have read, it does not work correctly in Toast 10 either!

Some DVDs contain DVD-ROM files in addition to the VIDEO_TS folder. The "Include DVD-Rom Content" checkbox makes it easy to burn both the VIDEO_TS folder, compress if necessary, and burn the other DVD-ROM files in a single step without having to resort to complicated workarounds.

To anybody wishing to add additional data files (image files, pdf files, etc) to a video DVD and make those files readable in a computer DVD-ROM drive: The correct procedure is to use the "Include DVD-Rom Content" checkbox as described in the previous posts. Do not listen to people who tell you to use "DVD-Rom (UDF)", or to use the Media Browser, or anything else.

When is Roxio going to fix this issue in Toast 9, Toast 10, and Popcorn 3?

Edited by Praetor

Hi there,

After searching on the internet I came across this thread. Just thought I would pass on my comments on how useless Roxio support is, happy to take your money when you buy the product but they dont give a stuff after that.

I recently authored a DVD that included some DVD Rom Content (word docs & pdfs). The project was created in Final Cut & authored in DVD Studio Pro. When running a copy off for the client with Toast 9, no matter wheat I tried it would not include the DVD Rom Content in the copied disc.

OK, so I contact Roxio support via their website, explained the problem in detail, that was a month ago & I have not even had the courtesy of a reply. What a joke this mob is. If anyone can point me in the direction of a better software option that Poxio please do. By the way, dont try & include an attachment with your support request as when you do I just throws out everything you have typed & you have to start again. Wankers!!!

Steve.

Hi there,

After searching on the internet I came across this thread. Just thought I would pass on my comments on how useless Roxio support is, happy to take your money when you buy the product but they dont give a stuff after that.

I recently authored a DVD that included some DVD Rom Content (word docs & pdfs). The project was created in Final Cut & authored in DVD Studio Pro. When running a copy off for the client with Toast 9, no matter wheat I tried it would not include the DVD Rom Content in the copied disc.

OK, so I contact Roxio support via their website, explained the problem in detail, that was a month ago & I have not even had the courtesy of a reply. What a joke this mob is. If anyone can point me in the direction of a better software option that Poxio please do. By the way, dont try & include an attachment with your support request as when you do I just throws out everything you have typed & you have to start again. Wankers!!!

Steve.

Although I can't help you with Roxio's support I'll point out that the only way to get this to work is to burn your DVD from the Data window. Choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format. Click New Disc and name the disc. Add the VIDEO_TS folder and and data content. Burn the DVD. Unfortunately this means it all must fit a DVD. You can't use the fit-to-DVD compression and have data content as well. I haven't checked if this has changed in Toast 10.

Hi,

I was searching the web to see what to make of the Toast option to "include data" when burning a video (DVD), since this particular movie is rather short and it seemed a shame to waste the un-used space on the disk.

Thanks to the tips in this thread I was able to create a video that plays in my video player and also save some of the related data files in the extra space of that DVD.

FWIW, I wasn't working with a Video_TS folder so I cannot comment on that process. What I did have was a .DV file (from iMovie). I placed that in the "Video" area of Toast (Toast 8) and then I created a "Data" area (of the same name - as "DVD-TOM(UDF)") and placed two files there.

When I mount the resulting DVD on my Desktop, I see the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders (as for any video DVD) and also the two data files, which I can access in the standard way. I can also play the DVD movie on my computer by dragging the Video_TS folder onto the DVD Player ap.