• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Big Problems With Emc 7.5...

groundzero55

Question

Note: this is AFTER updating the program so that is not an issue. I am also running this on XP SP2 with all updates, and there is no spyware or malware, or viruses on my machine. This is the retail version, on a cd, not downloaded.

EMC 7.5 is incredibly unstable on my computer. I constantly am in the middle of, say, making a new audio cd when the program suddenly and inexplicably closes without so much as an error message. This happens shortly after certain areas of the program screen "black out" which is just what it sounds like...big black splotches covering portions of the viewing area. When this happens the program sometimes stops responding, sometimes freezes, ALWAYS closes out the second I touch the "File" menu or try to add another song.

Anybody else have this issue? I'm good with computers but this has me at a loss. I literally cannot use the program as this happens without fail, every time.

OK, I'm home now and have more data.

I have received three different error messages now.

One was a brief "runtime error" message that disappeared when the program shut itself down.

The next one was a instruction "X" couldn't write to memory location "y" and the program gave me the option to terminate or debug.

I hit "cancel" for debugging, and lost everything.

I just ran it again and got a "The exception Priveleged Instruction, (0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x04bd72c4" "Clock OK to terminate.

The application with the indicated problem is shown to be creator7.exe

The second error message above was also creator7.exe. The first one was a "visual ...++" (I didn't see if it was visual basic or what before it disappeared) runtime error.

I did not re-boot between each error.

The errors also seems to show up if I was importing an MP3 that was not created by "Easy Audio Capture" and was located on a CD. Roxio created mp3's seem to be importing OK, for some reason.

So, it seems something is interfering with creator7.exe.

Bruce

Edit: I finally got some "hard" data!

Creator7.log says:

Unhandled exception caught in MP3::ACReaderImpl::GetTags (repeated 3 times)

I have uninstalled Roxio to see if a re-install will overwrite whatever changed and make it work again.

2nd Edit - Reinstalled 7.0 and 7.5 update (from Retail CD)

Tried to add mp3 to audio cd project list - "Application Error" - The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x28feff01". The memory could not be "read".

No Creator7.log generated.

Updated to version 7.5.2.49 from the Roxio Web Site

Same problems...program shuts down when adding MP3 to project list. No error message. No log file.

Changed to another set of mp3 files (all 96kbps files)...no problems

Back to the original set of mp3's...problems returned, first file I tried was an 80kbps mp3 file.

SOoooooo, it seems to be file specific, but that's all I can say.

BTW, these files play fine in other programs like WinAmp and Windows media player.

And, the one thing I can say may have changed...I checked all the file ID Info and updated it with Winamp version 5.21 which may relate to the problems I saw in the one Creator7.log file I could generate (see above)

That's it for tonight!

...Tried to add mp3 to audio cd project list - "Application Error" - The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x28feff01". The memory could not be "read".

No Creator7.log generated.

Updated to version 7.5.2.49 from the Roxio Web Site

Same problems...program shuts down when adding MP3 to project list. No error message. No log file.

Changed to another set of mp3 files (all 96kbps files)...no problems

Back to the original set of mp3's...problems returned, first file I tried was an 80kbps mp3 file.

SOoooooo, it seems to be file specific, but that's all I can say.

Hi gang...I've been investigating a similar problem with my EMC 7 that just began occurring on my latest audio CD burn. Beparker's on the right track, I think: The bug is file-specific.

After dragging and dropping one mp3 file at a time into the burn list, then saving the project each time, I got the familiar "memory could not be 'read'" message on one specific mp3 file.

With a restart and going back to that file, while within the Creator Classic screen, I right-clicked on the file and selected "Properties."

On the Summary tab, there is an editable spot called "Title." This Title info doesn't seem to match the IDV2 or IDV1 info I placed into the file from Winamp. In this case, there was a (subtitle) in parentheses. I removed the parens and the subtitle.

Voila! I could then drag the stubborn file to the burn list and complete the burn project.

I'm thinking that EMC is bugging out over parentheses and possibly other nontraditional alphanumeric characters in this very specific Title spot within the Summary tab of the Properties of one or more specific files - causing us all great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Might I make one other suggestion? You say this happens when you're working on Audio CDs, so there is nothing particularly video intensive going on. The DirectX 9.c requirement has more to do with playing and rendering of video than it does with just running Music Disc Creator. So, try going into the setting for your Monitor and video card, and try turning the hardware acceleration down a notch or two (or three) and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know if that helps.

I tried a few times going to lower and lower settings, still no change in the EMC program, but now I also got Windows error messages - "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and will now close" etc.

Needless to say I ended up putting the acceleration back to normal. I'm still at a loss.

I tried a few times going to lower and lower settings, still no change in the EMC program, but now I also got Windows error messages - "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and will now close" etc.

Needless to say I ended up putting the acceleration back to normal. I'm still at a loss.

Thanks for trying it and letting us know.

Well...not quite for tonight...

I did some more checking and if I go back and re-write file ID with WinAmp2.81, the mp3 files that are crashing Creator Classic v7.5.2.49 Audio CD project creation work FINE!!

So, it would appear that WinAmp 5.21 is the culprit here. It is putting something in the data stream when it writes the ID information to the MP3 file that Creator Classic does not like.

Don't forget the other hardware aspect. Sudden shutdowns can be caused by memory going bad or a bad hard drive, or a power source going bad. If you feel comfortable with working on computers, turn it off, ground yourself and check to make sure that your memory is seated properly. You may want to pop it out and then back in. There is a free program that you can download to check your memory. I don't remember who has it so you will have to Google for it.

On the hard drive, I had a similar problem with mine. It had bad sectors that Windows didn't recognize so it kept trying to write to that sector. Chkdsk didn't find it but another disc checking program did. I was usually trying to capture so it was in heavy CPU usage that it really showed up.

I'm not sure how to check for a bad power supply. If you have added some new hardware, the old one may not be big enough. They cost about $50 so that is one thing to try if you plan on keeping that old :) computer.

The splotches sound more like a video card/chip problem rather than one of the above but they are something to consider.

I replaced my 3 year old computer after trying to fix the unknown problem by replacing components when I realized that I would end up spending more money on components than by buying a new computer. That was two of the same brand that had problems after three years - my new on is a different brand. :huh:

Note: this is AFTER updating the program so that is not an issue. I am also running this on XP SP2 with all updates, and there is no spyware or malware, or viruses on my machine. This is the retail version, on a cd, not downloaded.

EMC 7.5 is incredibly unstable on my computer. I constantly am in the middle of, say, making a new audio cd when the program suddenly and inexplicably closes without so much as an error message. This happens shortly after certain areas of the program screen "black out" which is just what it sounds like...big black splotches covering portions of the viewing area. When this happens the program sometimes stops responding, sometimes freezes, ALWAYS closes out the second I touch the "File" menu or try to add another song.

Anybody else have this issue? I'm good with computers but this has me at a loss. I literally cannot use the program as this happens without fail, every time.

I have never had a problem with it, do you have any other packet writing programs on your computer, like in Nero or Sonic? If so you need to either disable there's or diable D2D in Roxio. Maybe someone else will have more ideas.

You haven't listed your computer specifications.

The minimum requirements for EMC 7.5 are

· Operating System – Windows 2000/XP Home or Pro (SP1 or later)

· CPU – 500 MHz Intel ® Pentium III or equivalent

· Memory – 128 Megabyte or better

· Display – 800x600 or more

· Hard Drive – 2.5 Gigabytes

· Other - CD or DVD writer

However, in practice, more than that is required - you need additional resources to run your Operating System, and any background programs (altho things like Anti-Virus, Screen-Saver, etc, can be temporarily turned off). Also, for Audio work you need "16-bit Windows compatible sound card and speakers" - this is more than merely on-board Audio.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/213/2

I suspect your system is being overloaded, which will cause a crash.

Lynn

I'm having similar problems also. I updated to 7.5 and whenever i try to add a song or even multiple songs at once the window just shuts down, but I dont have any "black outs" as groundzero55 reports. Also, when I'm brousing my mp3 list to add to a cd, some of the songs are just blanked out or have these little squares under either title or media type. EMC7 worked perfect before I installed itunes, but I since deleted that program and updated to 7.5 I also recived this error message: "The instruction "ox77d51086" referenced memory at "oxcfe3ee8c".The memory could not be read"If anyone can shine some light on this it would be so greaty appreciated!!!

I have a minimum of services running on my machine however, I've since added some information on my computer to my signature. Sorry, I'm new on this board, but I had to start sometime. None of my other programs ever have problems running, it's just this one.

Is it possible something else I have running is somehow conflicting specifically with my EMC 7.5?

I'm having similar problems also. I updated to 7.5 and whenever i try to add a song or even multiple songs at once the window just shuts down, but I dont have any "black outs" as groundzero55 reports. Also, when I'm brousing my mp3 list to add to a cd, some of the songs are just blanked out or have these little squares under either title or media type. EMC7 worked perfect before I installed itunes, but I since deleted that program and updated to 7.5 I also recived this error message: "The instruction "ox77d51086" referenced memory at "oxcfe3ee8c".The memory could not be read"If anyone can shine some light on this it would be so greaty appreciated!!!

My guess is it is possible that something may still be loaded from iTunes or one of the other programs that is causing the problem.

I have a minimum of services running on my machine however, I've since added some information on my computer to my signature. Sorry, I'm new on this board, but I had to start sometime. None of my other programs ever have problems running, it's just this one.

Is it possible something else I have running is somehow conflicting specifically with my EMC 7.5?

Do you have any other recording programs, such as iTunes, Nero, etc? (I don't think WinPlayer should cause a conflict.)

Lynn

I am now experiencing the same symptoms with v7.5. I would expect somthing that has been added/changed in Windows XP SP2 is effecting v7.5

I was able to make audio CD's before, but now, when I add an MP3 to an Audio CD project, CD Creator Classic just shuts down. No error message. I do see the black squares occasionally before the program shuts down, but not always.

I've got to figure out when the last time I could do this succesfully, but right now, my previously functional software is definitely no longet functional.

Dell D800 laptop, 1.7GHz, 1Gb Ram, Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates from Microsoft.

Bruce Parker

Edit: I just remembered, I made some audio CD's just BEFORE the most recent Microsoft Windows updates came out, so it may have been something in THERE that is interfering with making an audio CD.

Edit #2 - The first track usually imports OK. The second track produces ramdom black squares in the directory listing from which I am selecting tracks, then Creator Classic just shuts down, no error message. This sometimes happens with the first track, and the system MAY let me get to the third track, but it's ALWAYS shutting down without me being able to complete the process.

Do you have any other recording programs, such as iTunes, Nero, etc? (I don't think WinPlayer should cause a conflict.)

Lynn

Nothing, technically I suppose Winamp and Realplayer could record some things but these aren't running.

Most of the apps I'm running constantly are very small. Messengers, Spybot Resident, Weatherbug, NAV Autoprotect.

This was happening without any messengers running, btw.

EMC doesn't move slowly or anything, it's fine one second, then suddenly it's 100% unresponsive.

Nothing, technically I suppose Winamp and Realplayer could record some things but these aren't running.

Most of the apps I'm running constantly are very small. Messengers, Spybot Resident, Weatherbug, NAV Autoprotect.

This was happening without any messengers running, btw.

EMC doesn't move slowly or anything, it's fine one second, then suddenly it's 100% unresponsive.

You onboard video card is not compatible with EMC 7.5 since it cannot run DirectX 9c. I have the same card and was told this by Intel. I installed another video card (one that is fully DirectX 9c compatible) and everything works fine.

I need a video card anyway so I'll be doing that, I do need a new computer since I'm an update geek, but I'd rather wait until Vista comes out rather than buy a new computer that is based around XP. I remember all those problems people had when they tried to install XP on Win98-based computers. Ouch.

Hopefully the video card thing helps. I have plenty of memory, and I keep my computer defragged. The hard drive is also fairly new since I had it replaced not long ago.

Strange thing that I never figured out. When I first installed 7.5, there was a problem with the registration process...it wouldn't go through and kept giving me an error message, and told me it needed to be updated (which isn't possible without registration) yet it worked fine. I reinstalled it, and the registration worked. But only NOW it crashes when I use it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Guest mlpasley

I don't think you can get around the video card issue.

However, you might try changing your Windows Performance Settings to Adjust for Best Performance. Also change your Virtual Memory Settings to the minimum of your RAM (512) and the max to 2 times your RAM (1024). That might not solve your problem, but it's a fairly common recommendation for video editing.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a scratched CD, defragment your hard drive.

I'm not sure but the spec's on that controller says that if you have 128 Mb of memory then only 32 Mb can be used for Graphics. So depending on how much memory you have there might be a problem with not having enough memory for your graphis needs. And on top of that not being able to support DirectX 9c as

myguggi suggests, is most likely your problem. Even if you have a 3 year old computer you should be able to install a new graphics card that will suffice and not have to pay that much. It's one heck of a lot better than having dedicated items on your computer.

Frank....

Guest mlpasley
I am now experiencing the same symptoms with v7.5. I would expect somthing that has been added/changed in Windows XP SP2 is effecting v7.5

I was able to make audio CD's before, but now, when I add an MP3 to an Audio CD project, CD Creator Classic just shuts down. No error message. I do see the black squares occasionally before the program shuts down, but not always.

I've got to figure out when the last time I could do this succesfully, but right now, my previously functional software is definitely no longet functional.

Dell D800 laptop, 1.7GHz, 1Gb Ram, Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates from Microsoft.

Bruce Parker

Edit: I just remembered, I made some audio CD's just BEFORE the most recent Microsoft Windows updates came out, so it may have been something in THERE that is interfering with making an audio CD.

Edit #2 - The first track usually imports OK. The second track produces ramdom black squares in the directory listing from which I am selecting tracks, then Creator Classic just shuts down, no error message. This sometimes happens with the first track, and the system MAY let me get to the third track, but it's ALWAYS shutting down without me being able to complete the process.

Next time, post a new topic please.

Is it possible that these new music tracks have some type of copy protection on them?

I wouldn't think so. I have made Audio CD's from them before with v7.5 so I didn't expect any problems.

Bruce

Well, let's be certain. What file type are they, and where did you get them from? If they're .WAV or .MP3 files you created yourself, indeed, there should be on question of any copy protection. If you downloaded them from anywhere, or bought them as .WMA files, indeed there may be copy protection. (Not on .WAV files though, as far as I know there's no DRM coding for that file format.)

...I right-clicked on the file and selected "Properties."

On the Summary tab, there is an editable spot called "Title." This Title info doesn't seem to match the IDV2 or IDV1 info I placed into the file from Winamp. In this case, there was a (subtitle) in parentheses. I removed the parens and the subtitle.

Voila! I could then drag the stubborn file to the burn list and complete the burn project...

After having the same problems as described above, I tried a variation on this solution.

I opened the MP3's Properties, clicked on summary, and then advanced. It was then that I noticed that the ARTIST field included quotation marks (i.e.: "Weird Al" Yankovic). I removed the quotation marks, tried again, and Creator worked flawlessly.

-- Zack

I need a video card anyway so I'll be doing that, I do need a new computer since I'm an update geek, but I'd rather wait until Vista comes out rather than buy a new computer that is based around XP. I remember all those problems people had when they tried to install XP on Win98-based computers. Ouch.

Hopefully the video card thing helps. I have plenty of memory, and I keep my computer defragged. The hard drive is also fairly new since I had it replaced not long ago.

Strange thing that I never figured out. When I first installed 7.5, there was a problem with the registration process...it wouldn't go through and kept giving me an error message, and told me it needed to be updated (which isn't possible without registration) yet it worked fine. I reinstalled it, and the registration worked. But only NOW it crashes when I use it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Might I make one other suggestion? You say this happens when you're working on Audio CDs, so there is nothing particularly video intensive going on. The DirectX 9.c requirement has more to do with playing and rendering of video than it does with just running Music Disc Creator. So, try going into the setting for your Monitor and video card, and try turning the hardware acceleration down a notch or two (or three) and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know if that helps.

I wouldn't think so. I have made Audio CD's from them before with v7.5 so I didn't expect any problems.

Bruce

Then again, if they are from downloads, they would have DRM (Digital Rights Management) code attached which would limit the number of times they can be burned.

So the question comes up, where did these tracks come from?

Lynn

Archived