Encoding Problem

wiry

Question

I made one dvd and it worked perfectly. Then I began to have trouble. I made some changes and tried to encode again. I found strange things happening. Some black panels where there should be pictures. So I cleared the files and turned off my computer thinking perhaps the computer needed to be started again.

I then deleted all the movies from My DVD project and started again. Same thing happened. I have about twelve minutes left on the dvd but one of my sections is 24 minutes and that's the one I'm having trouble with. Is it too long?

I am running windows xp professional service pack 3 on Sony Vaio T2400 @1.83 GHZ with 1 Gig Ram. HD Capacity is 87 GB with 54 gig free. Appreciate your help on this

PS is the preview that shows while encoding correct? Or could it be different than the final result. Also, how do I play the iso file? Steps please. I get into the programs suggested but can't figure out how to play it instead of burn it.

20 answers to this question

I made one dvd and it worked perfectly. Then I began to have trouble. I made some changes and tried to encode again. I found strange things happening. Some black panels where there should be pictures. So I cleared the files and turned off my computer thinking perhaps the computer needed to be started again.

I then deleted all the movies from My DVD project and started again. Same thing happened. I have about twelve minutes left on the dvd but one of my sections is 24 minutes and that's the one I'm having trouble with. Is it too long?

I am running windows xp professional service pack 3 on Sony Vaio T2400 @1.83 GHZ with 1 Gig Ram. HD Capacity is 87 GB with 54 gig free. Appreciate your help on this

PS is the preview that shows while encoding correct? Or could it be different than the final result. Also, how do I play the iso file? Steps please. I get into the programs suggested but can't figure out how to play it instead of burn it.

In MyDVD, click on Tools, then on Options, then click in the circle to the left of Software, under Render. Then try encoding again.

I have to check it all the time because it doesn't hold. Why do you think that could be?

I believe that it defaults to whatever your hardware will be able to do, so you have to reset it.

It will stay at software render, if you open the same project again, but when you start a new project, it goes back to whatever the hardware is able to do.

My video card is quite capable of using hardware render, but I set mine to software, because Roxio didn't get hardware render right, in EMC 10, 9, or 8.

I just did some tests on my computer. Mine does not change, after I set it to software or hardware. If I set the project to software, save it, close out, open VideoWave, or MyDVD again, the setting is the same as whatever my last change was, whether or not it is a new project or the one I had worked on.

So, what I said, in my last post, about automatically going back to hardware, on a new project, isn't correct.

OK Here's where I'm at. I went back to video wave and reinserted the two frames that were showing black and they worked ok but now another frame is black. What is the difference between rendering it in software or hardware. Does hardware burn it directly to the dvd player? I am willing to try that because I am really fed up. All the other short pieces come out ok. It's the 24 minute one that I'm having the problem with. Please help.

OK Here's where I'm at. I went back to video wave and reinserted the two frames that were showing black and they worked ok but now another frame is black. What is the difference between rendering it in software or hardware. Does hardware burn it directly to the dvd player? I am willing to try that because I am really fed up. All the other short pieces come out ok. It's the 24 minute one that I'm having the problem with. Please help.

SOftware or hardware rendering has nothing to do with burning to DVD. It refers to whether Roxio uses the software on your video card to do some of the calculations or the software within the EMC program. Many of us have found that the software gives a better final video.

Where did that 24 minute video come from? In what format is it? What happens if you add it in Videowave and Output As a valid DVD mpeg2, best quality video. You can then add that mpg video

Edited by myguggi

I have just noticed something about all the photos that turn to black. All of them had borders created by Image Cropper. Others with borders were fine, but perhaps that's the problem.

The 24 minute video is a compilation of Titles, photos and movie files from my camera. I have four different movies but the 24 minute one is the longest. All of them are in videowave format. I was told that I would have the best resolution if I kept to dsms files and then created one long movie with menus in MY DVD

You are suggesting that I output it as a video file and then add the video files to My DVD? I thought I would lose resolution if I did that.

I'm willing to try anything. I'm back to starting over. I will probably try to render it with hardware this next time.

I also thought of something else. I have all my Zambia (my movie) files on a 6 gig stick usb drive. I moved the files that I'm using over to My Documents. Maybe the burning doesn't like going from drive to drive.

All of them had borders created by Image Cropper.
Interesting.... I've never had a problem with images that have been edited with Image Cropper. Which version of IC do you have? I can check to see if there is an issue.

You are suggesting that I output it as a video file and then add the video files to My DVD? I thought I would lose resolution if I did that.
Not if output using one of the 'MPEG for DVD' templates. MyDVD will not re-render those files. Edited by ggrussell

Well, I've succeeded and it seems that image cropper was the problem but only on this long movie. The shorter movies took the borders ok. So I went through all the pics that had borders and replaced with the original photo and it burned perfectly. I think shorter files (movies) accept the border ok. I am so sick of the music track. I must have listened to it 100 times. I'm hearing it in my sleep. And it's music I used to like. So glad it's resolved. Since I use a wide screen 40" Flat Screen Sony TV, the images don't get shortened the way they do on a tube tv. So everything's perfect. I had just assumed I would need to adjust them for the tv image.

Thanks for sticking with me. It was a long, boring post. But you only had to read it. I had to live it.

By the way, is there any way to buy more smart music? There isn't a whole lot of it that comes with roxio. I could use more ... expecially for short sequences.

Well, I've succeeded and it seems that image cropper was the problem but only on this long movie. The shorter movies took the borders ok. So I went through all the pics that had borders and replaced with the original photo and it burned perfectly. I think shorter files (movies) accept the border ok. I am so sick of the music track. I must have listened to it 100 times. I'm hearing it in my sleep. And it's music I used to like. So glad it's resolved. Since I use a wide screen 40" Flat Screen Sony TV, the images don't get shortened the way they do on a tube tv. So everything's perfect. I had just assumed I would need to adjust them for the tv image.

Thanks for sticking with me. It was a long, boring post. But you only had to read it. I had to live it.

By the way, is there any way to buy more smart music? There isn't a whole lot of it that comes with roxio. I could use more ... expecially for short sequences.

I have never had a problem using Image Cropper and borders in any of my projects but then none of my files would be 25 minutes long since I keep my clips down to about 10 minutes. I don't see how the length could create the problem you were having.

Did you ever do an output from Videowave to a DVD mpeg-2, best quality file with the problem pictures?