• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Slideshow Picture Properties

loujul17

Question

I'm preparing to create a slideshow of my daughter's wedding. I have jpeg pictures, tif pictures, psd pictures, png pictures and dmsp (or whatever Roxio's extension is). There resolutions are 72 ppi (or that may be dpi), 200, and 300. As I started placing these pictures and scrapbook pages on the storyboard, I began to wonder if I'm creating a monster instead of a simple slideshow. Is there a proper resolution for slideshows and a proper extension that should be shared by all pictures?

11 answers to this question

I used only six picture with various extensions and it did a beautiful job even with the audio I added. It played well on my computer screen, but when I played the DVD on my TV I noticed that the tops and sides of some of the pictures were cut off. Is there any way to correct this problem or will I have to put a border around each of the pictures to rectify this problem.

That is TV overscan and is normal. If you use a free program like Image Cropper to bulk crop those photos to 4:3, they will be within the "safe zone" and will show the entire photo on your television.

I don't have the link to Image Cropper handy, but hopefully, someone will drop in and post it.

That is TV overscan and is normal. If you use a free program like Image Cropper to bulk crop those photos to 4:3, they will be within the "safe zone" and will show the entire photo on your television.

I don't have the link to Image Cropper handy, but hopefully, someone will drop in and post it.

You can find it here: http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/crop.htm

Get Image Cropper here. Always keep it handy. :) One fo the few shareware/donate ware that I've ever paid for. Great app. USed it just the other day to crop some 4x6 prints I sent off to Walmart.

will I have to put a border around each of the pictures to rectify this problem.

That's exactly what Image Cropper can do and makes it very easy. Also has a batch mode. You can also choose the border color.

Image Cropper also supports many other aspect ratios like 16:9, 4x6, 5x7 , etc.

I'm preparing to create a slideshow of my daughter's wedding. I have jpeg pictures, tif pictures, psd pictures, png pictures and dmsp (or whatever Roxio's extension is). There resolutions are 72 ppi (or that may be dpi), 200, and 300. As I started placing these pictures and scrapbook pages on the storyboard, I began to wonder if I'm creating a monster instead of a simple slideshow. Is there a proper resolution for slideshows and a proper extension that should be shared by all pictures?

the resolutions of your source pictures don't really matter since they will all be "converted" to the DVD standard of 720x48 (for NTSC). Check the help system for which picture formats are allowed. BTW, dmsp is not really a picture format but simply the extension Roxio uses for their project files. No other program can open a dmsp file.

You may still want to start slow. Try making a short slide show with a few pictures (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes worth) and if that works OK, you can go from there.

BTW, if you take some time with the short slide show with some highlights, you can render it (output as - icon looks like an old film reel) in Video Wave and then add it to the production as the introductory movie that starts when you put the disc in the player.

Also BTW, if you do the rendering of that slide show in VideoWave and it hangs, note the time and see what is going on at that time. Doing that is a great way of trouble shooting a production to see if an image (format), transition, effect or music file has/will be a problem. When you go to render, pick mpg2... best quality.

Thanks for your quick response to my question. I'm not that worried now that I'll make a major mistake!

You may still want to start slow. Try making a short slide show with a few pictures (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes worth) and if that works OK, you can go from there.

BTW, if you take some time with the short slide show with some highlights, you can render it (output as - icon looks like an old film reel) in Video Wave and then add it to the production as the introductory movie that starts when you put the disc in the player.

Also BTW, if you do the rendering of that slide show in VideoWave and it hangs, note the time and see what is going on at that time. Doing that is a great way of trouble shooting a production to see if an image (format), transition, effect or music file has/will be a problem. When you go to render, pick mpg2... best quality.

Thanks for the additional info. I try that now.

Thanks for the additional info. I try that now.

I used only six picture with various extensions and it did a beautiful job even with the audio I added. It played well on my computer screen, but when I played the DVD on my TV I noticed that the tops and sides of some of the pictures were cut off. Is there any way to correct this problem or will I have to put a border around each of the pictures to rectify this problem.

Archived