Sign in to follow this  
David Smith

Is There A Maximum Filename Length That Can Be Burnt?

Question

Using my current software, Roxio Creator Plus Dell Edition (which I got with my laptop 18 months ago) I get an error when buring files off our company network which have a long path and long file name saying 'Maximum filename length of 106' characters. Is this restriction removed in the latest product please?

7 answers to this question

The limitation is not set by the program itself - it's the industry standard. It depends on whether you are using ISO 9660 or Joliet for the recording

Maximum File Identifier Length Increased

Joliet receiving systems shall receive directory hierarchies recorded with file identifiers longer than those allowed by ISO 9660 receiving systems.

ISO 9660 (Section 7.5.1) states that the sum of the following shall not exceed 30:

* If there is a file name, the length of the file name.

* If there is a file name extension, the length of the file name extension.

On Joliet compliant media, however, the sum as calculated above shall not exceed 128, to allow for longer file identifiers.

The above lengths shall be expressed as a number of bytes.

Are you using the "Create Data Disc" that is part of the Creator 2009? If so, you can click on the "option" button. The file system ISO lvl 2 it states allows for 212 chars. You might want to give that a try.

Are you using the "Create Data Disc" that is part of the Creator 2009? If so, you can click on the "option" button. The file system ISO lvl 2 it states allows for 212 chars. You might want to give that a try.

It is not just the filename… The limit for the file path is usually the one that is usually exceeded but they don't have a message for that.

Next is the folder limit…

Finally the filename.

Use Classic, use UDF and there are not problems.

That option re the 212 characters is certainly available and would seem the natural choice if it works. I cannot see what Jim is referring to with UDF? The first instance of the problem arose when trying to burn files coming from a 'deep' network folder location containing files with long filenames. However in this case it is now the filename length that is key as I have moved the files to a location on my local C drive.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

David

That option re the 212 characters is certainly available and would seem the natural choice if it works. I cannot see what Jim is referring to with UDF? The first instance of the problem arose when trying to burn files coming from a 'deep' network folder location containing files with long filenames. However in this case it is now the filename length that is key as I have moved the files to a location on my local C drive.

David

Just curious but could you post an example of a "problem" filename/path?

David

This is not the right place for this sort of question and it need to be moved.

State the version you are using as well as the specific program. You have not given us a clue as to if you are using Creator Classic or Data Disc. They are 2 different programs with differing ways of doing things.

Sign in to follow this