• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc V10 & Windows Xp (home) Sp3

charliej5

Question

I have just installed Easy Media Creator V10 on my Windows XP (Home) SP3 computer. Previously I had Easy Media Creator V8 and experienced no issues. Now, when I attempt to copy any data to a CD (or DVD), windows reports: "drive is not accessible. Incorrect function."

I shall be most grateful for any assistance in correcting this problem.

13 answers to this question

Download and run #5 in my signature, reboot and try again...

cd

First of all..........thank you for your response.

I downloaded and ran the pxengine update, rebooted and attempted Windows access again. No luck.

I do have an image backup of my system made prior to uninstalling ENC V8 that I can go back to, so at this point I can afford to be less cautious in my actions. Have you any further suggestions.

Can windows see the drives or does Roxio software not see the drives?

If you can't see a drive in windows try #4 in my signature.

cd

Again, many thanks.

Windows can see the drives, but when I double-click to open I get the not accessible blurb.

Easy Media Creator V10 can see the drives and will make a cd. I don't see any obvious problem with the functioning of EMC.

I am off to try #4 in your signature.

Thanks again.

I have just installed Easy Media Creator V10 on my Windows XP (Home) SP3 computer. Previously I had Easy Media Creator V8 and experienced no issues. Now, when I attempt to copy any data to a CD (or DVD), windows reports: "drive is not accessible. Incorrect function."

I shall be most grateful for any assistance in correcting this problem.

Verify if IMAPI recording is enabled by following steps below

1. Go to My computer>right click the drive in question >Properties>Recording Tab

2. Make sure the 'Enable recording - -' box is checked. If not do so, and then click "Apply" and "OK" buttons in that order.

After reading the information contained in #4, I do not think this is applicable to my situation. IS IT?

Device manager shows both drives working properly.

What is really throwing me a curve is the fact that both drives were properly functioning under Version 8, 7.5, 5, etc and now under V10 they are not.

Is it possible that my installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3 is having some impact? However, I did copy some MP3's to a CD a couple of days ago, well after having installed SP3.

Thank you for sticking with me.

Verify if IMAPI recording is enabled by following steps below

1. Go to My computer>right click the drive in question >Properties>Recording Tab

2. Make sure the 'Enable recording - -' box is checked. If not do so, and then click "Apply" and "OK" buttons in that order.

Thank you also for your assistance.

I did as you suggested. Neither drive had the "enable....." checked and I did so. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

Here is the first warning I got when I tried to copy a 12.7MB file to a blank DVD:

The file screamer.exe has extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file anyway." I clicked yes and then I get this warning:

"Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?" The options are "Retry" and "Cancel." I clicked "retry" and it simply continued to loop offering these two options. Finally I just clicked "cancel."

Any other thoughts?

Again, many thanks.

Open what with a double click? Details, details, please!

cd

Sorry that I was not explicit when I said I double click to open. In my computer, my CDRW drive is "K" and my DVDRW drive is "L." Windows "sees" those in my computer. To open the drive, I simply double-click the drive letter. This is where I get the inaccessible jargon.

Continuing thanks.

charliej5,

we could be here for days. You have to tell us why your double clicking on your drive? Is there media in the drive? Are you using a Roxio application then? What application are you using and what are you trying to do?

cd

I am sorry if I confuse....certainly not my intent.

Here is a blow by blow account which I am doing as I write this.

1. I place a previously recorded CD with 2 small text files on it in the CD drive.

2. I get a questionaire asking what I wish to do. I am selecting "take no action."

3. Next I am double clicking the desktop icon for my CD drive (K).

4. I then receive the inaccessible message.

The very same experience is happening with my DVD drive.

Now some interesting side notes:

I placed a previously recorded CD (MP3 files) in the drive. The questionaire came up and offered as follows:

1. Play using Windows Media Player

2. Copy disk using Roxio Record Now Copy

3. Add files using Roxio Central data

4. Copy disk using Roxio Central Copy

5. Transfer music using Media Import

6. Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer

7. Take no action

When I selected #6 (Windows Explorer) it opened the disk to view. I could double click any of the MP3 files and it opened my default player (Windows Media) and played the song. Also, when I closed the disk by clicking on

file and selecting close, I could re-open the drive and continue to have access to the MP3 files contained thereon.

I put the disk with the 2 text files in the drive and get the inaccessible message. I went over to my neighbors house with this disk and his CD drive opened it right up.

Hopefully, I have been clear. Admittedly, I am perplexed and maybe not communicating well.

Thanks for your continuing assistance. If I have omitted something or it is unclear, please don't be bashful.

1. I place a previously recorded CD with 2 small text files on it in the CD drive.

2. I get a questionaire asking what I wish to do. I am selecting "take no action."

1. Was the disc closed or burned as a multi session disc left open? In what software and application was it burned?

2. That is a windows interface part of your operating system. Nothing to do with Roxio software.

3. Next I am double clicking the desktop icon for my CD drive (K).

4. I then receive the inaccessible message.

Why, same disc?

I placed a previously recorded CD (MP3 files) in the drive. The questionaire came up and offered as follows:

In what software and application was that Mp3 disc burned? The disc is closed?

1. Play using Windows Media Player

2. Copy disk using Roxio Record Now Copy

3. Add files using Roxio Central data

4. Copy disk using Roxio Central Copy

5. Transfer music using Media Import

6. Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer

7. Take no action

2. Part of Sonic Roxio software. Do you use this packet writing software? This could be part of your problem are you using a formatted disc's? Do you know how to disable this in the startup in msconfig?

I went over to my neighbors house with this disk and his CD drive opened it right up.

Windows opened it? What operating system and service pack? What burning software is installed or not installed on this pc?

cd

1. Was the disc closed or burned as a multi session disc left open? In what software and application was it burned?

The 2 text filesis were simply copied from my pc's desktop and not burned. I right-click the file and drag it to my cd's desktop icon. When I release the mouse, I select "copy." Now, I am unable to do this, and the error reported is the inaccessible message. (This procedure formerly worked with both my CD & DVD drives.) To my knowledge, this is all Windows - no 3rd party software is involved. I was able to continue to add to this disk, until it reached physical capacity.

The MP3 disk is a CD -R and was made using Roxio Version 8. Windows can read the contents, and double clicking any of the MP3 songs opens Windows Media Player, my program of choice.

2. That is a windows interface part of your operating system. Nothing to do with Roxio software.

I thought I knew how to disable items in startup using msconfig. However, I find no reference to Sonic and in fact the only Roxio I find is "Rox tray watch." I have removed it from starting up, but it does not help with my problem. I do not use Sonic at all, unless there is something happening of which I am unaware.

Why, same disc?

To attempt to not introduce yet another variable in this mix.

In what software and application was that Mp3 disc burned? The disc is closed?

As stated, EMC V8 was used and the disk is closed.

2. Part of Sonic Roxio software. Do you use this packet writing software? This could be part of your problemput the are you using a formatted disc's? Do you know how to disable this in the startup in msconfig?

I shall appreciate your instructions because I am not seeing Sonic in the startup.

Windows opened it? What operating system and service pack? What burning software is installed or not installed on this pc?

When I went to neighbors to check the disk containing the 2 text files, I simply put the disk in his CD drive, closed the drive and double-clicked on his drives desktop icon. He uses Windows XP - SP2.

Once again, I really appreciate your efforts.

Edited to try to make the post readible.

Edited by grandpabruce