• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audio Effects: Where To Find How-to's Or Tutorials

darkcrash17

Question

Hello all. I've done some searching on this topic & found nothing so far so forgive me if I missed something and my question is redundant.

I downloaded Toast in order to get better control over volume variations in playlists. I sometimes make ipod playlists for restaurants. Including as many as 100 different sources on a 100-song playlist, with recordings from all eras, I found that the iVolume program, for which I had high hopes, was still not able to sufficiently modify either a flat-sounding '70s track or an in-your-face, bass-heavy contemporary track, and I'd still have to tweak individual tracks like these (or the albums they came from) to avoid jarring volume increases or "hey where's the music" volume decreases.

I spent some time on the phone with the Roxio sales dept describing what I wanted to do. Hopeful that I have found a solution as I work on a sample playlist. Playing around, learning how to use crossfades is not so difficult.

However -- I think that I only need one or two of the Audio Effects to accomplish my goals -- increase or decrease volume slightly, and perhaps boost bass a little. But there's no documentation or set of instructions on how to use these Effects. I'm not an audio engineer. An email to Roxio support elicited the helpful reply: try searching the web or Wikipedia. Gee thanks.

First question: Is there a web site, or a "dummies"-type book (or even a handbook with a more intermediate approach) that will guide me on how to use these effects? If anyone can provide a link or a book title I would be grateful.

2nd question: Is there a way to enlarge the tiny little volume meter at the bottom of the Toast window so that, once I find the correct Effect to use, I can accurately gauge volume levels? I can't read much at all from that little thing. My goal is to "automate" what I've been doing by ear, to save time and be more accurate.

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read this. I'll be happy to answer any questions about what I'm doing if I can in turn help you.

2 answers to this question