• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting And Editing For Dvd

nascar

Question

First of all I wanted to say hello...I am new to this Forum and have had Roxio 7.5 for a while. Here is my problem or question.

I taped a Clint Eastwood movie off TV onto a DVD disc. It was a two hour movie with all the commercials. I then used a program called VOB2MPG to convert the .vob file to MPEG2.

Now, I used Video Wave to edit out all the commercials. During the editing process, Video Wave froze up many times and had to go back and re-do until I finally finished.

Once I had the whole thing done and saved my work as a Production, I opened the Production so I could burn the finished movie to a DVD+R. Now, here's where the problem started.

After the movie loaded, I hit "burn" and was given a message that the file was too large for the disc (4.7 gig). I then had to choose "low quality" to get it to fit. I went ahead and burned the disc but on playback on my TV, the picture was poor quality and jerky.

How can I get the MPEG2 file so that I can burn the DVD disc at high quality?

3 answers to this question

First of all I wanted to say hello...I am new to this Forum and have had Roxio 7.5 for a while. Here is my problem or question.

I taped a Clint Eastwood movie off TV onto a DVD disc. It was a two hour movie with all the commercials. I then used a program called VOB2MPG to convert the .vob file to MPEG2.

Now, I used Video Wave to edit out all the commercials. During the editing process, Video Wave froze up many times and had to go back and re-do until I finally finished.

Once I had the whole thing done and saved my work as a Production, I opened the Production so I could burn the finished movie to a DVD+R. Now, here's where the problem started.

After the movie loaded, I hit "burn" and was given a message that the file was too large for the disc (4.7 gig). I then had to choose "low quality" to get it to fit. I went ahead and burned the disc but on playback on my TV, the picture was poor quality and jerky.

A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold only 60 minutes of video at best quality. To fit longer video on the DVD you have to reduce the quality which you have already done and have discovered the result.

You now have 2 options: split the movie into 2 parts so that each part is less then 60 minutes or burn to an iso image file (uncheck burn to disc and check create image file, ignore error message)). Once the iso image file has been created, use DiscCopier to burn the iso file to a DVD. For some reason, DiscCopier does a much better job of "fitting" the video to a DVD.

BTW, your computer propably did not freeze up but was just "very busy" trying to work with such a large video file. Editing large mpg files is very slow since the video has to be decompressed for display and editing purposes. That is why it usually much better to capture in smaller (10-15 minute) segments and edit and output (using Videowave) them as individual mpg files. These can later be combined seamlessly in DVD Builder.

Thank you so much for the information. I am not real familiar with saving as a .iso file but i"m sure if I tinker with it a little, I will get it. Thank God for this Forum because there is so much to learn about this program and the editing process. I'm sure I will have questions in the future and again, thanks for your quick response and help.

Rick

Thank you so much for the information. I am not real familiar with saving as a .iso file but i"m sure if I tinker with it a little, I will get it. Thank God for this Forum because there is so much to learn about this program and the editing process. I'm sure I will have questions in the future and again, thanks for your quick response and help.

Rick

If you follow Walt's directions, you will be fine. Choose where you want to save the .iso file. Once it has burned go to that file double click on the .iso file and it will open up in Disc Copier. You can choose how many copies you want to make.