• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ecdc 5x Not Compatible With Win Xp Sp3?

KTW

I have Win XP Service Pack 3. I tried to upgrade my ECDC v5.01_S23 to 5.3. I keep getting an error that states "CD does not detect any recordable devices". I was able to go from ECDC v5.01_S23 to ECDC 5.3 but when I rebooted I had to use recovery console because I guess Win XP SP3 doesn't like ECDC v5.01S23. I have no ECDC on my system now. I use the roxio zapper thingee to clear it all. Since I have an OEM version common sense would dictate I can upgrade to a workable version. Help. Thanks.

Since I have an OEM version common sense would dictate I can upgrade to a workable version. Help. Thanks.

Hello,

OEM versions nowadays are usually updated by patches or updates from the OEM. If yours is a Dell update, then this patch at Dell's site might help you update it. Dell were the people responsible for supporting their OEM version while it was "alive".

BUT there is no guarantee that you'll get any version 5.x working in XP-SP3. Service Patch 3 is just released, while the latest update to version 5 was released years ago before SP3 was even a twinkle in a programmer's eye. I don't think that even Dell could get Roxio to make an updater to accommodate SP3 at this time, since version 5 has been past end-of-life and out of support for years now.

Regards,

Brendon

I saw Brendon's post of 12/2007. That is how I found out about the 5.3 version. I followed what was said to no avail. I will mess around and see what happens. If I have to downgrade back to SP2 where it worked fine, then I will do it. I have no other options. Thanks, Later.

Edit: My system is a Gateway P3 and not a DELL.

Edited by KTW

I know XP can burn data etc... but not on it's own. It needs a program such as ECDC.... I did some research and decided that downgrading to SP2 is not a good idea. I will have to find another program that will perfom the same function. It is a shame that having an OEM version that isn't that old and XP compatible isn't worthy of a patch or something to keep it current and operable.Oh well, Thanks.

I know XP can burn data etc... but not on it's own. It needs a program such as ECDC.... I did some research and decided that downgrading to SP2 is not a good idea. I will have to find another program that will perfom the same function. It is a shame that having an OEM version that isn't that old and XP compatible isn't worthy of a patch or something to keep it current and operable.Oh well, Thanks.

I don't know where you're finding your incorrect information, but I've used WinXP to burn CDs. It does NOT need any other outside program to burn data discs - just "drag" the file to the burner drive, and then follow the prompts. (Do NOT format the disc - Packet-Writing is for short term use when the original is safely on the orignating computer but is NOT a long-term archiving program if you want to KEEP the data.)

Lynn

PS - ECDC 5 is 2001 program - ancient in computer terms. The current Creator 2009 is Version 11.

Edited by lynn98109
add PS

This is from the Help and Support in XP (type in make a cd).

post-68-1221651863.png

Everything is fine up to step 5. I do not have that temporary holding area so I can't go beyond step 5....I did not know they came out with ECDC 5 in 2001. I don't have an answer to why it came with this computer in 2004....I will figure something out. I knew I wasn't crazy,lol...Thanks for trying.

Everything is fine up to step 5. I do not have that temporary holding area so I can't go beyond step 5....I did not know they came out with ECDC 5 in 2001. I don't have an answer to why it came with this computer in 2004....I will figure something out. I knew I wasn't crazy,lol...Thanks for trying.

Are you saying that you can't double click on the cd drive that you're trying to record to?

Since you've said that you can't record to your cd drive after upgrading to WinXP SP3, it's possible that something in that update caused the drive to go missing. You should be able to write to a CD (not a DVD) using WinXP.

I can't find any information about why it might have lost the drive, so you might want to search the Microsoft site for further information before you do anything else.

However, they do have infomation about how to uninstall hardware like you CD drive. After uninstalling the hardware, when you restart the computer, WinXP should reinstall the drive and hopefully fix the problem. General instructions are here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../devicemgr.mspx

Of course, it's also possible that something has gone wrong mechanically with that drive.