Dvd Length

curlybum

Question

Hi,

A general question - Why is it that I can only burn 1 hr of hi-quality camcorder (mpeg) video on a 4.7G DVD, while I have seen 2hr current releases burned to the same discs?

I would really like to fit 2hrs of hi-quality video on a 4.7G DVD. How can I do this?

Thanks,

CB

11 answers to this question

Yup...that's right...can't. Not yet at least. Wait until Blu-rays come out though.

Long way off and sure to cost big bucks no doubt. I can't imagine how long it

would take to encode and burn off 20 plus gigs. Of course, it wasn't long ago

that a 700 meg cd seemed like a lot of space too.

"Of course, it wasn't long ago that a 700 meg cd seemed like a lot of space too."

But a week later I was scratching my head to get 705mb on one…

Personally I doubt that Blue Ray will ever make it in the real world. It will be incompatible with all existing Players and CD/DVD devices. Without backward compatibility no one is going to beat a path to their door.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess what I still don't understand is why this guy I know can take a new release like King Kong, do stuff to it like remove trailers and advertisements, etc and stick it on a regular 4.7G DVD. As a layman, it would sound to me like I should be able to put my home videos on a DVD 2 hrs at a time.

What am I missing here?

I'm confused....

My guess is that your friend is doing something that he has no rights to do. The DVD release of "King Kong" as far as I know is copy righted and without the permission to copy it in any way would be unlawful.

Frank....

Commercial DVDs are also dual layer. Read the covers on some DVDs and you'll see a warning (sometimes) that the movie may pause for a split second while the laser flicks back from the end of one layer to the other.

I can't be bothered with dual layer...for now at least. So, I am not sure whether VW can even burn onto one. Can't see why not. If the burner supports it and VW can see you have a disc with 9.6 Gigs of room, it should let you fill it with two hours of video.

But to answer your question about burning a 2 hour commercial DVD to a 4.7 Gig DVD....it's because he's using a program that compresses it to fit your DVD. You most definitely will see a loss of quality depending on the amount of compression needed and can run the risk of errors. There are a few programs out there that do this. I'm not sure if you could use it to shrink your video in the same way. Likely you could from an ISO file. But...like I said, you'll be compressing and you may or may not like the results. Definitely not something to be condoned for use with Kong or something you did not create yourself.

Bluray, purpleray...all those rays of promise. So true...without backwards compatibility, no one will care.

The good old, old, days when 1.44mb seemed like tons of room. Dang..gave away my age.

My guess is that your friend is doing something that he has no rights to do. The DVD release of "King Kong" as far as I know is copy righted and without the permission to copy it in any way would be unlawful.

Frank....

Yes no question that that would be the case, however a full sized video is still being burned onto a 4.7G disc... copyrighted or not...

Guest mlpasley
Yes no question that that would be the case, however a full sized video is still being burned onto a 4.7G disc... copyrighted or not...

You can burn slightly lower quality 2 hour (notcopywrited) video to a DVD by burning to an 'image file' rather than the 4.7 Gb DVD. Then use Disk Copier to 'shrink' (reencode) and burn to the DVD.

Bluray, purpleray...all those rays of promise. So true...without backwards compatibility, no one will care.

The good old, old, days when 1.44mb seemed like tons of room. Dang..gave away my age.

5 1/4 single sided, 143kb available after formatting with AppleSoft! – 1.44mb, my heavens, no one will ever fill one of those up!

And they were so much faster than cassette tape storage (CLOAD, CSAVE).

Hi,

A general question - Why is it that I can only burn 1 hr of hi-quality camcorder (mpeg) video on a 4.7G DVD, while I have seen 2hr current releases burned to the same discs?

I would really like to fit 2hrs of hi-quality video on a 4.7G DVD. How can I do this?

Thanks,

CB

Consumer software and hardware is nowhere near the quality of what the movie industry uses. Their software doesn't cost only $60-$100. :)

2 hours at high quality on a 4.7GB DVD? It isn't going to happen.

Can't -- buy a DL burner (if your version of EMC supports it) or a DVD production facility where they actually mold the information on the disc. Look here. The DL is cheaper. Some compressed formats such as DivX are also pretty good but you may need to upgrade your version of EMC 7 and buy a compatible player.

Hi,

Thanks,

CB

Archived