• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Controls

dgroy

Question

Hi,

I have a weird issue with EMC 8. I used it to create a DVD with 5 slide shows. So my menu has 5 items on it. If I click preview and then click on the up or down buttons of the "remote control" on the left side of the screen, the 1st and 5th menu items become selectable, but none in between ! I can get only to some (not all) of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th menu items by clicking on the LEFT button of the "remote control".

If I then burn the disc, I get the same problem on one TV. On another TV (using a different DVD player), the menu items are not highlighted so I cannot see what I'm selecting. Really weird. By pressing enter, then menu, and using the remote control, I can see that I can access, as with the other DVD player, only items 1 and 5. So same problem here as well, except in this case, I can see what I'm selecting!

Any ideas?

Finally, in a slide show, EMC8 allows to add a blank slide to which you can add text. This is really convenient if you want to add an explanation of what you are about to see on the followinbg slides. In the preview mode, the text I typed in appears. However, if I select the slide show that I just added this extra slide to, select edit movie, then select the "text" slide, and then add/edit text, it does NOT show me what I had previously typed in; it says "please enter text here" as if I had never added any text in the first place.

Any idea on this one as well?

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

MyDVD uses a preset template system. EACH template may navigate differently. For example, if the menu has

Then ONLY the up and down arrow will work.

If the menu has,

1 2 3

4 5 6

Then press the up/down to go from 1 to 4, 2 to 5 and 3 to 6. Use left to right for the horizontal buttons. Seems quite logical to me.

The buttons are preprogramed for each template and as far as I know, can not be changed. You can change the order of the slideshows/movie, but not how the buttons are navigated.

If you want or need that kind of control, you should purchased a dedicated DVD authoring app like Sonic's DVDit Pro 6.

MyDVD uses a preset template system. EACH template may navigate differently. For example, if the menu has

Then ONLY the up and down arrow will work.

If the menu has,

1 2 3

4 5 6

Then press the up/down to go from 1 to 4, 2 to 5 and 3 to 6. Use left to right for the horizontal buttons. Seems quite logical to me.

The buttons are preprogramed for each template and as far as I know, can not be changed. You can change the order of the slideshows/movie, but not how the buttons are navigated.

If you want or need that kind of control, you should purchased a dedicated DVD authoring app like Sonic's DVDit Pro 6.

I am using the "leaves" preset template that came with EMC8. It shows my 6 slide shows as follows:

If I am at 1, and press down, it goes to 5, then 6 and then back to 1

If I am at 1 and press the left arrow, it goes to 2, then 5, then back up to 4, then 5, then 4, then 5, etc..

If I am at 1 and press the right arrow, it goes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, then 5, then 6, then 5, then 6, etc.

If I am at 1 and press up, it goes to 5, then 1, then 5, then 1, etc.

Where is the logic in this? In a menu that is arranged vertically, should not the up and down arrows work sequentially up and down without jumping over any menu items?

Also, why is it that the menu selection (in this case the text highlighted in green with a green leaf next to the text appear on one DVD player, but not on the other?

I am using the "leaves" preset template that came with EMC8. It shows my 6 slide shows as follows:

If I am at 1, and press down, it goes to 5, then 6 and then back to 1

If I am at 1 and press the left arrow, it goes to 2, then 5, then back up to 4, then 5, then 4, then 5, etc..

If I am at 1 and press the right arrow, it goes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, then 5, then 6, then 5, then 6, etc.

If I am at 1 and press up, it goes to 5, then 1, then 5, then 1, etc.

Where is the logic in this? In a menu that is arranged vertically, should not the up and down arrows work sequentially up and down without jumping over any menu items?

Also, why is it that the menu selection (in this case the text highlighted in green with a green leaf next to the text appear on one DVD player, but not on the other?

I cannot recreate your problem. I just did a test using 5 short mpeg video files. On two DVD players, the menu navigated as expected; up and down arrows navigated to each of the 5 titles. Here was my sequence:

1. Open MyDVD.

2. Changed theme to Leaves (vertical selection, text only)

3. Clicked Add New Movie, navigated to my first MPEG file, and clicked Open. Repeated this 4 more times for each remaining title.

4. Clicked the Burn icon, unchecked burn to disc, checked Save disc image file, gave the file a name/location on the hard drive, and clicked Burn.

5. When complete, closed MyDVD and opened Disc Copier.

6. Navigate to the image file location and opened the ISO file.

7. Change the speed to burn to 1X (I use a DVD-RW and one of my DVD players will not play the disc if burn at a higher speed) and then burned the DVD.

8. Tested the completed DVD in two DVD players and menu navigation was as expected.

That was my sequence. Please post the sequence that you used if different and maybe someone can spot something that may be causing your problem.

Did you try rearranging the order of the movies once you selected them? EMC 8 doesn't like that.

On your second question, you may be adding the text to an internal track. It will show and play but will not show on your screen if you you are not viewing the internal tracks. You can add text in the timeline view but that text will stay in a location and, depending on the length "bleed" over to other images. To see the internal track, double click on the text image or use the icon to the far left just above the timeline after you have selected the text box. The internal tracks look yellow (on my screen).

Did you try rearranging the order of the movies once you selected them? EMC 8 doesn't like that.

On your second question, you may be adding the text to an internal track. It will show and play but will not show on your screen if you you are not viewing the internal tracks. You can add text in the timeline view but that text will stay in a location and, depending on the length "bleed" over to other images. To see the internal track, double click on the text image or use the icon to the far left just above the timeline after you have selected the text box. The internal tracks look yellow (on my screen).

No I have not been moving the clips around in the menu. Here's the procedure I use:

1) - Start Roxio Creator Suite Home

2) - Click on Create or edit DVD project (My DVD 8 loads)

3) - Change menu style to :"leaves"

4) - Click Add Slideshow, then add photos (and use 4:3 ratio)

5) - Navigate to my pictures, slect them, click next, remove the "apply pan & zoom to all" option., click finish.

6) - Program brings me back to the Leaves menu

7) - Rename the "slideshow" menu item to "one" by clicking on it.

8) - Repeat steps 4-8 to add 5 more menu items, and name them, two, three, four, five, six

9) - Click on "preview" at top of screen; remote control appears on left, menu on right.

10) - Click on down arrow repeatedly. In my case, this goes from menu "one" to "two, to "four", to "five" to "six", then " one" etc as before, but always skipping "three".

This behaves somewhat differently from before, but still does not work properly because it skips "three".. If I try left, from the "one" position, it goes as follows: three, six, five, four, three, six, five, four, three, etc.

Click Up from one, and it goes six, five, four, two, one, etc., skipping three.

Right arrow from one will give two, three, four, five, six and then it won't go further (you would expect it to go back to one

Ok, I tried to duplicate your problem and here is what I got:

Starting with #1 as default, I press the DOWN button and it cycles 1 thru 6. When I get to 6, it then goes back to 1 and cycles again.

If I start at 6 and press the UP button, it cycles 6 thru 1, but then stops. Does not go back to 6.

Pressing the RIGHT button was the same as pressing the DOWN button.

Pressing the LEFT button was the same as pressing the UP button.

post-49-1144616359.jpg

Ok, I tried to duplicate your problem and here is what I got:

Starting with #1 as default, I press the DOWN button and it cycles 1 thru 6. When I get to 6, it then goes back to 1 and cycles again.

If I start at 6 and press the UP button, it cycles 6 thru 1, but then stops. Does not go back to 6.

Pressing the RIGHT button was the same as pressing the DOWN button.

Pressing the LEFT button was the same as pressing the UP button.

Yours operates the way I would expect it to. Why doesn't mine? Should I reinstall the software? Is anyone else having this problem?

Go to Help/About and see what version you have. The last update patch was 8.05 for the standard retail version. I have the Deluxe version, but that shouldn't make a difference in how the menu styles work.

I have Build 805B30B ENU

By the way, how do you post a screen shot on this forum? The "insert image" icon asks for a URL, and the standard copy and paste commands do not work in this window.

Thanks.

That has to set by the adminstrator of the forum. If you have personal website, you can post a URL to an image there.

You do have the latest version. I have no idea why that template isn't working correctly for you. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Archived