• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd R Media Not Recognized

computrtchr

Question

When I try to copy a DVD or even record to one using EC9 it does not recognize that I have a blank DVD in the drive. If I go to the disk information section it recognizes it but whenever I try to perform any function to burn to it I get a message saying I need to insert blank media.

The program worked fine last week. I made no changes to my computer. Here is all that I have attempted to resolve the issue:

- media from different manufacturer(s)

- different varieties of media (+/- r, +/- rw) compatible with my drives

- uninstalling/reinstalling both internal dvdrw drives (including unplugging from the motherboard)

- checked for firmware updates (none available)

- Made sure DMA was enabled

- checked for driver upgrades

- uninstalled/reinstalled EC9

I can't seem to find a fix at the Microsoft or HP (drive mfr) webistes or on any other forum. My next step is to get rid of EC9 and try a different product unless I can get this resolved.

17 answers to this question

1. What is the make/model of the drive?

2. What brand of media are you using?

3. Try this and see if that rectifies the issue assuming the drive and the media used are compatible

One drive is the HP that came with the machine (TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N)

the other is an HP 16X SATA SuperMulti LightScribe Drive that we purchased aftermarket.

For media I've tried memorex lightscribe dvd +r (worked fine last week), verbatim data life plus dvd +rw, memorex dvd +r DL, and verbatim datalifeplus dvd -r. Both drives are +/-r & +/- RW compatible. Again, they all worked fine on Friday. I've also tried it with more than one from each spindle.

I forgot to list that I did install the px engine.

1. If you would also post the current firmware versions of each drive.

2. What applications in EMC 9 in specific that you have attempted resulting into the error described?

3. This is to assume both drives have identical behaviours of failure to detect the media.

4. Is this EMC 9 Basic or full purchased Suite?

1. If you would also post the current firmware versions of each drive.

2. What applications in EMC 9 in specific that you have attempted resulting into the error described?

3. This is to assume both drives have identical behaviours of failure to detect the media.

4. Is this EMC 9 Basic or full purchased Suite?

1. TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N is hb02, HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H60L is R90A

2. Copy (copy disk & burn image)

3. yes

4. Basic (came with the computer)

New development - everything works fine with the Iomega Hot Burn Pro I just installed with my tech's external DVD RW drive. I used it to copy disks with my 2 internals.

3. yes

New development - everything works fine with the Iomega Hot Burn Pro I just installed with my tech's external DVD RW drive. I used it to copy disks with my 2 internals.

If you Basic version came with your computer it is most likely an OEM version which means that it may have many of the features of the full EMC 9 version disabled.

Also if the program worked fine last week then something must have changed such as a "hidden" or automatic update.

Edited by myguggi

If you Basic version came with your computer it is most likely an OEM version which means that it may have many of the features of the full EMC 9 version disabled.

Also if the program worked fine last week then something must have changed such as a "hidden" or automatic update.

The software updates without me knowing it? That's not cool especially if the update makes it useless. I'm hoping there's a fix because I was considering getting the latest version but I don't upgrade buggy software.

The software updates without me knowing it? That's not cool especially if the update makes it useless. I'm hoping there's a fix because I was considering getting the latest version but I don't upgrade buggy software.

I did not mean a automatic Roxio update (which it does not do anyway) but a automatic Windows update which happens unless you have this option turned off.

If something ELSE is updated, it can impact something.

Example: When WinXP added SP2, problems started happening with ECDC 5.

Example: When Microsoft added IE 7 and WinPlayer 11 to updates (I declined, thank you), it "broke" EMC 7.

There have also been cases of a software program interferring with another software program, or with AntiVirus programs (AVG being notorious) "breaking" necessary registry entries for some programs.

Roxio hasn't been doing any stealth update downloads ... in fact, since the brand was bought by Sonic, it's more they are notorious for no updates at all.

Lynn

3. yes

All I can suggest is find out if HP has any updates for this version in any respect. Out of curiosity, did the external perform with the EMC 9 Basic? If you haven't test, do you mind giving it a try?

I have automatic updates turned off. Seriously, nothing changed on my computer since Friday when all was working fine. Yesterday I went to copy a video DVD that we made the night before and the program asked for a blank DVD even though one was in the drive. 6 hours yesterday and a few today searching websites, online forums and trying everything and the only thing that works is installing and using another software package.

All I can suggest is find out if HP has any updates for this version in any respect. Out of curiosity, did the external perform with the EMC 9 Basic? If you haven't test, do you mind giving it a try?

Just tried it, same error. I spoke to HP support this morning and they assured me I have the latest driver & firmware for my drives. That's why I moved on to Roxio/Sonic.

Just tried it, same error. I spoke to HP support this morning and they assured me I have the latest driver & firmware for my drives. That's why I moved on to Roxio/Sonic.

Ok. Try following

1. Go to Start --> Run --> Type "Regedit"

2. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Export the registry hive to desired location

4. Locate Upper Filter and delete the key

5. Locate Lower Filter and delete the key

6. Reboot

7. Run the previous PXengine.

I have automatic updates turned off. Seriously, nothing changed on my computer since Friday when all was working fine. Yesterday I went to copy a video DVD that we made the night before and the program asked for a blank DVD even though one was in the drive. 6 hours yesterday and a few today searching websites, online forums and trying everything and the only thing that works is installing and using another software package.

Can you copy the DVD to your hard drive either as a image file or as a Video_TS folder?

How did you create the DVD the night before? What program did you use to create the DVD?

Ok. Try following

2. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

6. Reboot

I'll try on Monday when I go back to work and let you know if it works. Thanks & have a great weekend!!! :)

Ok. Try following

6. Reboot

Just wanted to update that I tried this and it was unsuccessful. Iomega Hot Burn Pro is still working after a week and I've decided to move on. It took a lot of tries just to get logged in to the forum so it seems everything I touch related to Sonic/Roxio becomes a full time project. If a fix ever comes up I'll keep an eye out but I've gone ahead and ordered NTI's CD & DVD maker rather than expend any more energy on here.

Just wanted to update that I tried this and it was unsuccessful. Iomega Hot Burn Pro is still working after a week and I've decided to move on. It took a lot of tries just to get logged in to the forum so it seems everything I touch related to Sonic/Roxio becomes a full time project. If a fix ever comes up I'll keep an eye out but I've gone ahead and ordered NTI's CD & DVD maker rather than expend any more energy on here.

Logging on to Roxio has nothing to do with Roxio?sonic software but is directly related to your system setup. If you had problems then you are having other problems.

Normally software does just does not stop working overnight unless some changes were made to the system.

You never did answer my questions above?

Since the Hot Burn software does not include any video creation how are you going to create an videos to burn?

Logging on to Roxio has nothing to do with Roxio?sonic software but is directly related to your system setup. If you had problems then you are having other problems.

Normally software does just does not stop working overnight unless some changes were made to the system.

You never did answer my questions above?

Since the Hot Burn software does not include any video creation how are you going to create an videos to burn?

I'm aware of all of that. I ignored the questions because I already said NOTHING CHANGED on my computer. When I couldn't login to this discussion from 3 different machines I know it isn't my "system." Whatever it was that was not recognizing my id a pwd does now. Either way... I ordered a software package that will burn my video creations. The demo worked. Every program except this Roxio one seems to work so from my limited scope I'm done working on my "system." I may not be an expert but I have been dealing with these kinds of annoying computer issues since the days of DOS and I do know how to use the process of elimination to make the decisions I need to.

Right now we simply tape events and burn them to a DVD with my Sony DVD recorder on my TV - then I copy the DVD's for distribution. Nothing complicated. The software worked one week then didn't. Since I have to do a lot of gymnastics to get an update for Windows I know it didn't do any kind of "stealth" update. I wouldn't really have spent time I don't have posting here if that had been the case. I don't like my time wasted and I try not to do it to others.