• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Uninterrupted Analog Capture?

joelycat

Question

Just got the brand new video capture USB device working and I love it. But... I'm capturing from an analog cam and when there's dead space between recording "sessions", Roxio Media Import automatically stops capturing and asks if I want to save the file. I have 15 or 20 super 8 tapes that I want to put on DVD and would like to just start one and have it record until the end of the tape. Most of them have many "session" (kid's baseball game, birthday party, christmas, etc.) as I suspect most people do on their home movies. Is there any way that I can start the capture, walk away, and just let it save the whole tape? I'll edit later.

12 answers to this question

None of us have seen the gubbins so it's doubtful if anyone can answer.

There are a few possibilites running through my mind - a glitch on the tape, a sudden transition (where the tape has stopped/started) and things like that. You can combine the files tho in MyDVD and output to one contiguous file

You are using the Roxio Media Import, correct???

Use the Capture Entire Tape button or a little higher up Set Capture Length and put in the length of tape + a minute or two.

I don't see a "Capture Entire Tape" button??? I'm using Creator 2009; maybe they dropped it? I'll give the tape length a shot. Thanks.

Jim, since Media Import can not control a 'tape' when using analog capture devices, that option is not there. Here is a screen shot for my Hauppauge.

That makes sense (my screen looks like yours; no "Capture Entire Tape" button). I tried setting the recording length but it still stops capturing when it senses no signal. It's not a huge deal but it means I have to spend more time monitoring the captures, rewinding the tape, etc. The other thing that's a little frustrating is that the capture button is disabled until it gets a signal so I always lose a second at the beginning of a session. Again, not a huge deal but I'll toss out a suggestion to the Roxio developers: Add the ability to put it in capture mode, start capturing as soon as it gets a signal, and automatically save each "session". That would make importing analog home movies much simpler.

Overall I love the new USB capture device. The only problem I've had is that it occasionally goes into "fast forward" (not my camera; the capture) and the audio is distorted. It seems to be infrequent and hopefully it's a software issue that can be fixed.

Thanks for everyones help.

Again, not a huge deal but I'll toss out a suggestion to the Roxio developers: Add the ability to put it in capture mode, start capturing as soon as it gets a signal, and automatically save each "session".
Or perhaps have the software to just ignore 'no signal' and just capture 'snow' until the signal is present.

Jim, since Media Import can not control a 'tape' when using analog capture devices, that option is not there. Here is a screen shot for my Hauppauge.

Great theory but totally untrue…

You saw my screen cap. That is with a DAC-100 external A/D converter.

The button is there regardless if I hook up my VCR, camcorder, DVD Player or LaserDisc!

Not to rub salt into the wound, but mine is just as happy capturing a blank screen as it is when capturing a movie. :huh:

Difference may be that the DAC-100 is connected via Firewire.

Difference may be that the DAC-100 is connected via Firewire.
Most likely and fools the software into thinking it 'can' control the device.

Blank screen is different from 'snow'. Like when I connect my VHS recorder, it defaults to a blue screen when there is no video. Technically that is still a video signal being transmitted via composite and Media Import is happy to record it. When there is no signal at all (I turn the VCR off), 'snow' is usually displayed and 'Capture Now' is greyed out. Sometimes the software is just 'too' smart. LOL

post-49-1222126781.jpg

post-49-1222126788.jpg