roxio@nealbowes.com

Media Import - Video Capture Not Working.

Question

I am having trouble capturing video from a DVD.

When I start "Media Import," the home screen comes up. But when I click on "video," the whole screen closes. Sometimes I can restart "Media Import," but other times I get an error that says the component is already running. (Not according to my task manager.)

If I start the RC8 Suite Home, select "DVD & Video" and then click "Capture," "Media Import" opens and then the rest happens as described above.

Any thoughts anybody?

19 answers to this question

When I start "Media Import," the home screen comes up. But when I click on "video," the whole screen closes. Sometimes I can restart "Media Import," but other times I get an error that says the component is already running. (Not according to my task manager.)

If I start the RC8 Suite Home, select "DVD & Video" and then click "Capture," "Media Import" opens and then the rest happens as described above.

Any thoughts anybody?

Not without a bit more info. List your system specs, especially your make of video card, and the version of directx you have installed.

Not without a bit more info. List your system specs, especially your make of video card, and the version of directx you have installed.

I have the exact same problem. I really don't think it has anything to do with system specs if you have a recent computer (which I do - I bought it in December). There is a post in here somewhere about this that got me a little further before the program closes but it still did not work like it's supposed to.

One possibility MIGHT be having another version of a Roxio or Sonic product on your computer (like in my case MyDVD LE). It came with my computer. I plan to try uninstalling it but just have not gotten around to it.

My post has nothing to do with the original post . :D

Sorry but your post got to me. :) If I buy a new car with a 4 cylinder engine or the same car with an 8 cylinder engine, you are saying they perform the same ? I don't think so although they are both new. In computers it is the difference between a Celeron chip and a Pentimum 4. I won't go into math coprocessors but I can guarantee that there is a difference in performance. :huh: I had a AMD 1.7 plus (about 2.2 Intel Equivalent); my 3.4 is much, much faster. With this program, the more important variable is the video card AND having the latest drivers for it.

I have the exact same problem. I really don't think it has anything to do with system specs if you have a recent computer (which I do - I bought it in December). There is a post in here somewhere about this that got me a little further before the program closes but it still did not work like it's supposed to.

One possibility MIGHT be having another version of a Roxio or Sonic product on your computer (like in my case MyDVD LE). It came with my computer. I plan to try uninstalling it but just have not gotten around to it.

Any thoughts anybody?

Seems like your question may have been rhetorical.

It can, and often does, have everything to do with system specs. There are literally thousands of brand new computers sitting on shelves waiting to be bought that will have problems running this high end software. It's not 'how new' it is, it's 'how capable and compatible' the combined hardware is with todays technology that the program employs.

It can, and often does, have everything to do with system specs. There are literally thousands of brand new computers sitting on shelves waiting to be bought that will have problems running this high end software. It's not 'how new' it is, it's 'how capable and compatible' the combined hardware is with todays technology that the program employs.

You are correct on that call, Larry. A new boat anchor is sometimes no better than an old one. If it has the word Celeron in it, it could be an anchor.

Edited by grandpabruce

Thank you for the replies.

My computer is an HP Pavilion zd7000, running Windows XP with service pack 2 on a 2.66GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5600 video card, and DirectX9.

I can understand a program running poorly on a computer that doesn't have what it takes to run it, but for a component to launch and then close seems more like a programming bug to me. And especially because the other components seem to be just fine. I just used the VideoWave editor to put together a nice little short. It work very well and rendered flawlessly.

I do appreciate your input, so thank for the ideas.

Edited by roxio@nealbowes.com

Thank you for the replies.

My computer is an HP Pavilion zd7000, running Windows XP with service pack 2 on a 2.66GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5600 video card, and DirectX9.

I can understand a program running poorly on a computer that doesn't have what it takes to run it, but for a component to launch and then close seems more like a programming bug to me. And especially because the other components seem to be just fine. I just used the VideoWave editor to put together a nice little short. It work very well and rendered flawlessly.

I do appreciate your input, so thank for the ideas.

Glad to see you are up and running now.

Glad to see you are up and running now.

Nope, it's still broken.

I posted my system specs because somebody wanted to see them.

Tech support suggested I turn off all background programs, reboot, and try again--which to me sounds like "it couldn't possibly be our fault." I gave it a shot anyway, but to no avail. I'm waiting for their next suggestion. They're aren't too quick with responses.

But there seem to be a lot of fine folks looking at these forums, so if anybody has an idea now that my specs are posted, please let me know. Thank you!

Now that we know that your computer is above the minimum standards, the next question to ask is what is the DVD you are trying to capture? I assume that you know that a protected DVD can't be copied and could give you the type of action you are seeing. There is usually a warning message but perhaps it got turned off.. When you open Media Capture/Import, do you see your drive listed as one of the sources for the video? Is that DVD reader/player internal or external (USB)?

Your original post indicates that you can't get that far. Is that still true? Does the same thing happen when you chose photo or audio?

Make sure your drivers are up to date. Go here to see if you are up to date. nVidia has new drivers released recently. You may want to consider updating to those but make sure you get the right ones. Make sure that you have that nVidea device set for best performance and not best appearance..

Also make sure that you have the newest version of DirectX9 - that's 9© dated Feb 2006. I know you statred that you had 9 but did not give the letter version.

Nope, it's still broken.

I posted my system specs because somebody wanted to see them.

Tech support suggested I turn off all background programs, reboot, and try again--which to me sounds like "it couldn't possibly be our fault." I gave it a shot anyway, but to no avail. I'm waiting for their next suggestion. They're aren't too quick with responses.

But there seem to be a lot of fine folks looking at these forums, so if anybody has an idea now that my specs are posted, please let me know. Thank you!

Edited by sknis

Yes sir, everything is up-to-date.

I think I got the settings switched to "high performance." It had been on "high quality." One day, I'd like to know the difference there.

But...there is no change. The video capture still starts up--for a second--and closes back down. The drive letter is listed. Audio capture works just fine.

At first, I was trying to capture a 2-minute clip from a professional DVD that I needed for an event. But it also closes down with a "home-made" DVD or when the drive is empty.

I updated my technical support ticket on April 12. No response yet. It's possible they were closed to observe Good Friday, though. But I have had much faster and more helpful responses from companies with much less expensive programs.

I don't think I mentioned that I have InterVideo's Win DVD installed as my DVD player. Could this or another program be responsible for all this?

I am glad that there are folks who are passioate about this program and are willing to help others via these forums.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Louisiana for hurricane recovery efforts. So, if I do not respond to any posts for a few days, please don't think it's because I don't appreciate your responses.

Thank you.

I'm still having this problem.

I opened a ticket with customer support. I received one response which did nothing to solve the problem. I replied with information on April 12. It's a full two weeks later and there has been no response.

I have the same problem, however this work-round works for me.

Open the Roxio Media Import from the Roxio Home or your Start program list

Click on either of the Photo or Audio buttons first. The window should stay open.

From the Photo or Audio window click on the Video button.

Now the Video window should stay open and you can use it.

Good Luck.

Same problem here. Using the $80 value Dazzle DVC90, which now has a value of $0 to me. Have tried the audio and then flip to video, no luck. Issued webticket with Roxio with ALL my system specs, response was, it SHOULD work. Well, it doesn't! No other issues with EMC 8 Deluxe Suite. Anybody want to buy to DVC90?

Regards,

If you check at Pinnacle System's website, there is a known issue with the Dazzle DVC90 and the VIA USB chipset. This includes motherboards and add-in cards. The Dazzle does not work with either of my machines listed below. My Gateway Laptop is 100% Intel.

Same problem here. Using the $80 value Dazzle DVC90, which now has a value of $0 to me. Have tried the audio and then flip to video, no luck. Issued webticket with Roxio with ALL my system specs, response was, it SHOULD work. Well, it doesn't! No other issues with EMC 8 Deluxe Suite. Anybody want to buy to DVC90?

Regards,

The Dazzle doesn't work for me, either. There are a number of folks who have posted, saying it does not work for them. However, that does not mean it doesn't work for the majority of people.

Is there a fix for this, other than changing hardware?

I don't have a clue, but the fix will be on Pinnacle's site, not here. I am going to take a cyber stroll over there in a minute or so, to see if they have anything to offer in the way of a solution.

However, I will probably stop for a beer on my way over. :)