• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drive Letter Access (dla)

jay_roach

Question

I have a Dell Dimensioin 5100 mce 2005 edition. I have had to uninstall Roxio emc 8 because of the conflict with the TV tuner card. I formatted a cd/rw disk and it came up with the statement that because I was using a pre-release of sonic dla that the results could not be guaranteed. I went to sonic and downloaded the DLA. I notice it shows it is DLA - OEM. Not sure what problem that is since I already have a DLA installed. I did install the new DLA from sonic but it does not seem to work. I do not know how to uninstall the new DLA and leave things alone. Does anyone know where I find the new DLA on my computer? I want the drag-to-disk feature that I had in emc 8. The DLA that came installed on my dell will not let me add files to the cd/rw (it was formatted and had other data already on it).

9 answers to this question

Standard Caution: Packet writers (D2D, DLA, InCD) are for transferring files from one PC to another when no other means exists. They are too unreliable to be used for "backups" or "archives"…

Oh really? I had a feeling this was too good to be true!

Sigh....I just got a new Dell Dimension 3100/E310.

It seems as if the only software that comes with their CDRW is:

Sonic Solutions DLA 5.x..(which seems to translate into Roxio DLA)

Sonic Solutions DigitalMedia v7 (I didn't install this yet because it seems to be DVD related)

Then what kind of reliable CD ROM burning software can we use for backups?

Thank you,

M

Oh really? I had a feeling this was too good to be true!

Sigh....I just got a new Dell Dimension 3100/E310.

It seems as if the only software that comes with their CDRW is:

Sonic Solutions DLA 5.x..(which seems to translate into Roxio DLA)

Sonic Solutions DigitalMedia v7 (I didn't install this yet because it seems to be DVD related)

Then what kind of reliable CD ROM burning software can we use for backups?

Thank you,

M

If you are just burning to CD's, you can use the built in software in Windows XP. It won't burn to a DVD, though, so if you want to do that, get one of the Roxio EMC suites, and use Creator Classic to burn.

If you get EMC 8, make sure that you get the Deluxe version.

I have a Dell Dimensioin 5100 mce 2005 edition. I have had to uninstall Roxio emc 8 because of the conflict with the TV tuner card. I formatted a cd/rw disk and it came up with the statement that because I was using a pre-release of sonic dla that the results could not be guaranteed. I went to sonic and downloaded the DLA. I notice it shows it is DLA - OEM. Not sure what problem that is since I already have a DLA installed. I did install the new DLA from sonic but it does not seem to work. I do not know how to uninstall the new DLA and leave things alone. Does anyone know where I find the new DLA on my computer? I want the drag-to-disk feature that I had in emc 8. The DLA that came installed on my dell will not let me add files to the cd/rw (it was formatted and had other data already on it).

DLA is not compatible with Drag to Disc.

Likewise DLA did not come with your Roxio software. It was most likely included with your OEM version of RecordNow from Dell.

You should be able to copy the files off of your discs and format them using DLA. They should work as expected then.

Standard Caution: Packet writers (D2D, DLA, InCD) are for transferring files from one PC to another when no other means exists. They are too unreliable to be used for "backups" or "archives"…

DLA is not compatible with Drag to Disc.

Likewise DLA did not come with your Roxio software. It was most likely included with your OEM version of RecordNow from Dell.

You should be able to copy the files off of your discs and format them using DLA. They should work as expected then.

Since I was having problems with emc 8 and after uninstalling it I must have made the mistake of assuming that it was the DLA that was part of the drag to disc. Thanks you for clearing that up for me.

Would you be able to tell me what other software (other than emc 8) would allow me ot backup files to a cd in my burner? I have always used emc8 but finally realized there is a conflict between emc 8 and MyDVD. When both are installed I am not able to capture via my tuner live TV programs to record on dvd. I could always uninstall emc8 and reinstall it and the problem would not appear for a short time.

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it.

If you are just burning to CD's, you can use the built in software in Windows XP.

Thank you, but I read that there is no XP software that burns CDs, and if there is, I missed it.

Are you talking about NTBackup?

Also, someone (who couldn't remember any offhand) said that companies in Europe have several very nice (free) CD-R/RW programs that burn data for CD-Rs. Do you know of any?

Thanks, Monica

Thank you, but I read that there is no XP software that burns CDs, and if there is, I missed it.

Are you talking about NTBackup?

Also, someone (who couldn't remember any offhand) said that companies in Europe have several very nice (free) CD-R/RW programs that burn data for CD-Rs. Do you know of any?

Thanks, Monica

Huh? It is built into Windows XP. I don't remember where it is, because I don't use it.

Huh? It is built into Windows XP. I don't remember where it is, because I don't use it.

That's okay. The only one I found was "Backup" and all it allowed me to do was create a .BKF file.

Didn't help me burn it or anything.

If you ever discover the name of this program, please let me know!

-M

That's okay. The only one I found was "Backup" and all it allowed me to do was create a .BKF file.

Didn't help me burn it or anything.

If you ever discover the name of this program, please let me know!

-M

As Bruce said,, it's 'built into the XP OS. You won;t find it listed as a program.

Simply open up 'My Computer', right click on the disc drive and select properties to open the Properties window for the drive. As long as XP recognizes the drive as a cd burner there will be a tab labeled 'Recording'. On that tab, make sure the 'Enable CD recording....' option is checked. Then to use it, you simple use explorer to select files you want to burn. Right click on them, select 'Send To' and your burner should be one of the options to 'send them to'. OR, just drag them to the drive in explorer/my computer. You should then get a prompt (typically from your system tray) that you have files ready to write. Follow the instructions in the wizard, and it will burn them to the cd.

Archived