• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Mark Homewood

Burning Sd Movies On Blue Ray

Question

Just curious before I buy the product. I have a blue ray burner in my new PC and what I really would like to do is to burn Standard Definition movies (mostly cartoons recorded off of the cable box) for the mother of all babysitting blue rays :) Meaning I'd like to throw 25 gigs of mpg SD files on a blue ray disk and play it in the PS3 so that my niece would be occupied for quite a while. Any feedback on this??

Thanx

13 answers to this question

Not having Blu-Ray I'm going to hazard a guess here with an answer

I presume you have a Blu_Ray player - first of all, you need to find out if it will play back DivX or .avi files - if not, then you will have to convert the files

From what I can gather, a Blu-Ray disc will only hold about 60 - 80 minutes recording time in HD format

What I'm looking to do is to throw the SD movies I have on the Blue Ray discs. Not planning on burning in HD format for this purpose

Get a BD RW disc and let us know how it works!

When you are on the cutting edge somebody has to take the step. When it comes to BD, none of the Guru's have one so it is up to you.

You will either be the next Chuck Yeager or we will name the smoking crater after you :rolleyes:

What I'm looking to do is to throw the SD movies I have on the Blue Ray discs. Not planning on burning in HD format for this purpose

Perhaps you missed the suggestion to burn the videos to a DivX format disc. They will play on many standard DVD players (check your manual). You can get 5-6 hours on a standard DVD blank.

Creator 2009 will do that conversion. If you go to the DivX site here, they have an add-on to allow you to have several videos and menus. Again your player will have to be able to handle that type of disc (DivX Ultra).

Perhaps you missed the suggestion to burn the videos to a DivX format disc. They will play on many standard DVD players (check your manual). You can get 5-6 hours on a standard DVD blank.

Creator 2009 will do that conversion. If you go to the DivX site here, they have an add-on to allow you to have several videos and menus. Again your player will have to be able to handle that type of disc (DivX Ultra).

I'm not really looking to play them on a standard DVD. I'd like to play them on the Blue Ray disk in my Playstation 3

I have been trying to find a link to Blu-ray formats. I'm fairly sure that SD MPEG 2 video is still a 'legal' Blu-ray format. I'll keep looking though.

Got the Creator 2009 Ultimate. Burned 9 Babylon 5 episodes on a 25GB Blue Ray disk. This process took about 18 hours (transcoding the 9 files and burning). For reference I have a Quad Core and 4 GB of RAM. Played fine on my Playstation 3. With the cost of the blanks, I'm not sure I'll do this that much, but it's nice to know that it is possible. Also converted some mts2 files for play on media center and it worked fine (but the transcoding takes forever)

Got the Creator 2009 Ultimate. Burned 9 Babylon 5 episodes on a 25GB Blue Ray disk. This process took about 18 hours (transcoding the 9 files and burning). For reference I have a Quad Core and 4 GB of RAM. Played fine on my Playstation 3. With the cost of the blanks, I'm not sure I'll do this that much, but it's nice to know that it is possible. Also converted some mts2 files for play on media center and it worked fine (but the transcoding takes forever)

Thanks for coming back and posting your results. It is good to know, for those who can afford the burner and media.

Thanks Mark!

I am guessing that would be about 45 minutes per episode w/o commercials = 6:45 total?

It is interesting that we would expect about a 1:1 render time for a Standard DVD and you are showing about 1 : 2.6 going to BD… Of course there is a lot more going on with BD frames.

Thanks Mark!

I am guessing that would be about 45 minutes per episode w/o commercials = 6:45 total?

It is interesting that we would expect about a 1:1 render time for a Standard DVD and you are showing about 1 : 2.6 going to BD… Of course there is a lot more going on with BD frames.

Jim, I'm also a bit disappointed in both the render times and the inability to put a few more episodes on the Blue Ray disc. Although I may not actually burn them, I'm going to try the SpongeBob episodes that I have my Media Center record from cable to see if that gets me any more episodes per disc. My best guess is that until media comes down in price, I may not be using the blue ray portion of this software, as I can burn 5 sponge bob episodes on a regular DVD

You are not grasping Video Reality…

Time is what we measure with, not Episodes…

Yes you can get 4 or 5 hours on a 4.7 GB DVD but the picture is carp! The only way that happens is to drop to 352 X 240 and going under 3mbps.

Now there is no way you can maintain quality with those settings! If it is a cartoon there isn't a lot of quality to start with… Likewise VHS tape (normal) TV doesn't start off with a lot of quality either…

Now with BD you can put 5 hours on one 25 GB disc at 1920 X 1080 and 25mbps and still have room for 2 more hours!!!

But burning low/medium quality source files to BD is sort of a waste unless it is to save you walking to the Player to change discs…

To be honest, I am theorizing a little on this. I do not have a BD burner or Player so I am just playing with the software and looking at the numbers…