• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Do You Think This Idea Will Ever Go Anywhere In The Us?

Syrallas

Just read this story.

I invite your comments ....

I struggle to figure out why everything has to change to satisfy a few human beings! I know, just because things have gone one way for decades or generations is no reason not to change but in a day when people are dying from starvation, disease and war, can't PETA just GET A LIFE and help humans? They probably stand to gain in this by hiring women and reselling their 'product' for them.

I tire of their message.

That's my comment. :blink:

I don't even know where to begin on this!! First of all, I am not sure their information is accurate. As for producing milk, (please correct me if I am wrong), as long as there is continued "stimulation", milk is produced. So their comment that cows need to be impregnated every 9 months seems crazy to me!! (This is why people can breastfeed their children until they are 5-6 years old, but don't even get me started on that!!)

I believe PETA needs to put their efforts into other issues as some of you mentioned. How about child abuse and homelessness? Humans are suffering everyday in our country!! I think we need to focus more on that!! Just my opinion!! :)

Rachel

I saw a T-shirt that said something like:

People for the

Eating of

Tasty

Animals

And no, I don't think it'll catch on in the US. Having grown up on a dairy farm, our cows were only bred every 12 months. They were dried off after about 9 months so they weren't producing during the last "trimester" of their pregnancy. As for living in "filthy conditions", trust me, you don't want to milk a "filthy" cow. You need to get "up close and personal" with them, and things need to be clean so you don't get externally induced bacteria in the milk.

Okay... that's my comment.

What a scary thought! Can human breast milk be pasteurized? Egads, this really is a disgusting thought. I love animals, but I cannot see where it is inhumane to milk a cow!

PETA should stick to trying to get the process whereby veal is created outlawed and banned. To me that is one of the most inhumane things ever. And get rid of animal testing for cosmetic purposes. I can understand (even though I don't like to think about it) the need for testing for drugs that might save lives, or operations that might save lives, but for COSMETICS? Phooey. Get some volunteers and pay them.

Watched a documentary years ago showing what makes veal veal. Never bought nor ordered it again. Won't even allow it in the house. Guilty as a carnivore, but that just goes beyond the boundaries of cruelty.

IMD

I don't even know where to begin on this!! First of all, I am not sure their information is accurate. As for producing milk, (please correct me if I am wrong), as long as there is continued "stimulation", milk is produced. So their comment that cows need to be impregnated every 9 months seems crazy to me!! (This is why people can breastfeed their children until they are 5-6 years old, but don't even get me started on that!!)

I believe PETA needs to put their efforts into other issues as some of you mentioned. How about child abuse and homelessness? Humans are suffering everyday in our country!! I think we need to focus more on that!! Just my opinion!! :)

Rachel

Pretty much true for humans (ala: "wet nurses" or the 5-6 year old nurser) but not for most cows. Most dairy cows drop off in production after about 9 months, so indeed they do need to have calves on a regular basis to keep producing. There's always the exception, I can recall a couple cows my dad had that kept their production up right through without needing to have a calf.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty much true for humans (ala: "wet nurses" or the 5-6 year old nurser) but not for most cows. Most dairy cows drop off in production after about 9 months, so indeed they do need to have calves on a regular basis to keep producing. There's always the exception, I can recall a couple cows my dad had that kept their production up right through without needing to have a calf.

Thanks for that info. Dave. I didn't know cows were different than us!! I learn something new everyday!

Rachel