• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
revwally

External Usb Blu-ray Buner That Works With Toast!

Question

On a whim yesterday I saw that Circuit City had a Buffalo Technologies External USB 2.0 Blu-ray Reader/Writer on sale. I decided to give it a shot thinking it might just work with a Mac, even though Mac support wasn't mentioned. To my pleasant surprise - it did.

I plugged it in and opened Toast and Toast immediately recognized the drive. Last night I put in a Blu-ray BD-RE disc and burned a 8.3 GB MPEG-2 file to it. This morning I popped it in my playstation and it played flawlessly. It also successfully formatted and erased the BD-RE disc.

Just as side note - I tested this on my MacBook Pro and my Mac Mini and both worked without a problem.

3 answers to this question

That's great to hear... I was wondering about that drive but instead went with an OWC 4x which appears to be defective... it won't burn BD-RE discs via Firewire 400 or 800, only via USB 2.0. So I may send it back for a refund and pick up the Buffalo at Circuit City! Thanks for the heads up.

That's great to hear... I was wondering about that drive but instead went with an OWC 4x which appears to be defective... it won't burn BD-RE discs via Firewire 400 or 800, only via USB 2.0. So I may send it back for a refund and pick up the Buffalo at Circuit City! Thanks for the heads up.

The Buffalo only connects via USB but has successfully burned everything I've thrown at it so far (BD-RE, DVD+DL, and DVD+R).

The Buffalo only connects via USB but has successfully burned everything I've thrown at it so far (BD-RE, DVD+DL, and DVD+R).

Picked up mine today at Circuit City and was amazed to see that it actually works great on a Mac! I wonder why they don't advertise it as such, very strange. I had avoided it all this time because it was so specific about being Windoze only. USB isn't a problem since I'm replacing an LG DVD burner that decided to stop working (and never really worked 100% anyway)... have already burned my first BD-RE disc successfully! Thanks again for the heads up.