IMD

Solved The Problem!

In a previous post I outlined the problems encountered trying to experiment copying the c: drive to an external, and ending up with a RAW formatted external in the process.

After typing out my post, it dawned on me that I had lost the hidden partitions, system partition, microsoft reserved, and basic data. So I went into DOS, typed in the proper commands to recreate and size those partitions, went back into Disk Management and deleted any extra partitions, and the formatting went through, it is back to NTFS, and I can read and write to it without a hitch.

I did this just using the diskpart utility. Made sure I didn't do it on my new system LOL!

Don't know about anyone else, but every bit of knowledge gained is a plus in my book.

If anyone else finds themselves with this particular problem, you can PM me and I'll type it out step by step. The reason I say this is because I saw MANY posts out there, doing a search, whereby people found themselves with a RAW partition or entire disk, and there simply were no good answers out there.

Just love solving problems :)

IMD

Guest ml

I lost an internal drive in a similar manner when a diskcopy failed.

Couldn't reformat it in any reasonable way and kept getting error messages.

I ended up doing a diskcopy of a data only internal drive to the failed internal drive. Then I could format the failed drive.

Computers..... they can drive you crazy sometimes.

Now I KNOW why I'm crazier'n most ;) I'm surrounded by the darn things.

This will show you just how crazy I am: I use an encryption program for certain messages. Only this one (and it is supposed to be the best) is now so good that it invisibly does this. I know it does because I tested it out on the clipboard in Outlook.

Just uses the keys on your keyring and to you it looks quite normal.

But I'm not happy with that, I like it the old way whereby I cannot read a thing! LOL! So here I go again with a 336 page users guide (and I've had several previous versions of this software), and my eyeballs are falling out already...but being compulsive-obsessive, I know I won't fall asleep until I find what I'm looking for, along with that Tim Allen Santa Clause I DVD I had in my hand yesterday ;) ;) ;) ...sad, but true!

Indy

In a previous post I outlined the problems encountered trying to experiment copying the c: drive to an external, and ending up with a RAW formatted external in the process.

After typing out my post, it dawned on me that I had lost the hidden partitions, system partition, microsoft reserved, and basic data. So I went into DOS, typed in the proper commands to recreate and size those partitions, went back into Disk Management and deleted any extra partitions, and the formatting went through, it is back to NTFS, and I can read and write to it without a hitch.

I did this just using the diskpart utility. Made sure I didn't do it on my new system LOL!

Don't know about anyone else, but every bit of knowledge gained is a plus in my book.

If anyone else finds themselves with this particular problem, you can PM me and I'll type it out step by step. The reason I say this is because I saw MANY posts out there, doing a search, whereby people found themselves with a RAW partition or entire disk, and there simply were no good answers out there.

Just love solving problems :)

IMD

hello imd. i am also from NJ. can you please pm me the directions.

i am having so many problems lately i think i will go mad!! 6 am and i still am trying to getting my roxio to open!! LOL but thats another kettle of crap!! i think it has to do with frostwire and limewire.

i wish goback worked with vista i loved it!! i tried do a system restore to go back before in i installed frost and for some reason ALL my restore points are gone! arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg.

I've PM'd you for more information.

One thing when you remove Roxio 2009 (remember I didn't get around to getting Ultimate 2009 yet) is that you have to remember to remove ALL of it. It creates about 4 different entries in your "add remove" programs from control panel. And then reboot afterwards if you are going to reinstall.

If you have gone and lost partitions and had things reformatted in the process on your externals, I can help you there, as well as with lost data after a reformat, so long as you didn't make the big RAW boo-boo that I made. An old saying in the photography business is to make every mistake there is to make, and then you REALLY learn. It is kind of like that with computers too. I'm a big believer in Norton Save & Restore 2.0 (formerly Ghost), but on the Vista Ultimate 64 bit (I can't speak for the other versions) it has an image backup and restore built right in.

And if the rest of you want to laugh (this is pretty darned funny, if you think about it)...January of this year my oldest son presented me with another server, a Linksys NAS200. Within it resides (2) 1TB HD's. Well, as it was a birthday gift, he came over and set it up. I provided the HD's. But from the time we turned it on there was a whole lot of 'clicking' going on with that server. He said he didn't like the sound of it, that there was probably something wrong with one or both of the HD's. They were both brand new Seagates, but as the server (set up to mirror) was new to me, I was used to using IIS, I wasn't at all sure he was right.

Two days ago I got my answer. Suddenly the clicks got louder, and more insistant, not stopping. I wanted to find the log files to see if someone was hacking in. Always keep in mind the new computer I'm on now is foreign to me. So I asked Linksys where I might find the access logs. Usually it is not a problem as my two sons are the only ones who use it with me.

As I was in chat with Linksys to find the logs, I realized that Drive 2 was not being recognized by the system at all. It was "unformatted" "uninstalled" "un everythinged". Stupidly, I listened to Linksys instead of following my own instincts, and removed the mirror. So, over 32,000 files were gone. GONE.

I took the HD's out of the server, and Drive 2 was so hot to the touch that I burned my fingers. You might say this was all horribly unlucky, but I look at it this way; had I not BEEN in my study when this went on, there is a possibility that the house may have gone on fire.

Licking my wounds, I checked the warranty on Drive 2, not a problem, warranteed until 2012. I packed it up, put it in the McDuffmobile, and ran out to pick up an identical HD. But now the info was gone. LUCKILY, as I had not trusted a new piece of equipment, I had the very, very vast majority of files copied to a 2TB Fantom FireWire 800. Meanwhile I mailed the troubled drive back to Seagate.

So, I inserted the new HD, put back my settings, and began using Vista to just drag and drop the 32,000 files. Here I learned something else that might benefit someone:

Vista did an admirable job of copying all but the files with very long names (which you will find quite often in compilations or with classical music). Those it made me skip. It did not give me the opportunity to rename the files during the transfer process, and it did not give me the information as to which folder or album these tunes might reside. I have MY music on there, and my sons have their own folders for THEIR music, and the idea is that when my son goes RV'ng, he doesn't have to drag all this info around with him but can simply get it from the server at any time. The other son can actually access manuals and whatnot while on duty, even procedures for this or that. But if the file name is too long...Vista can't handle the transfer. Jotting down information such as names and file sizes (believe me it gives very limited info), anything that might lead me to the right file, I had an idea of where to look for the non-transferred files.

So I had to use WS_FTP Pro and upload them that way, and that way it let me keep the original file names. It is something to keep in mind. The server will accept the very long file names, but Vista, on its own, will not transfer them as such.

This part is funny though: The exact file count was 32,233. It came down to 42 files which Vista said were too long to transfer. Knowing my memory is not that good, to hold 42 file clues, I figured I'd use SnagIt to capture each one, whatever information the window gave me, and then manually move them. Lo and behold, as soon as I open SnagIt, there is an update available. I get the update, naturally. I didn't think it would make me close Windows Explorer, but it did. My connection to my server was lost, and I had to wait until it compared all 32,233 files to come back up with those files again so that I could move them.

As I've said, if there is a mistake to be made, I generally don't miss a single one! LOL! But the issue is taken care of now, and the Linksys server no longer clicks and makes noises, so it was, in fact, Drive #2 that was bad right out of the box.

When the replacement 1TB Seagate arrives, I'm fortunate enough to have 8 HD slots in my new machine with only 2 in use at the moment, both 1TB, so I'll just add the new one to that.

Roxio 2009's "copy and convert" is still not working properly either on the Vista 54 Bit Ultimate OR XP Pro. I'm going to leave it on both machines until I sort out the problem. EMC 10 works fine on the XP Pro, so I'll just leave that one there.

IMD