• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rony2

Video Capture Usb - Critique

Question

What must be typical of Roxio, I believe that this simple product was rushed to market.

- They shipped the wrong drivers. This is apparently being corrected on a individual basis but at the customers inconvenience.

- They included the wrong instruction card in the package. They have posted a correction in the KB

- If there is any documentation on how to use this device or how it fits in with 2009, I haven't been able to find it.

I have managed to capture one vhs tape but hesitate to go further. The captured video very different than what is seen on the TV. Is almost too dark to see. If anybody knows how to correct this I believt the device is OK. Why couldn't they have just taken a few more days to get it right!

8 answers to this question

What must be typical of Roxio, I believe that this simple product was rushed to market.

- They shipped the wrong drivers. This is apparently being corrected on a individual basis but at the customers inconvenience.

- They included the wrong instruction card in the package. They have posted a correction in the KB

- If there is any documentation on how to use this device or how it fits in with 2009, I haven't been able to find it.

I have managed to capture one vhs tape but hesitate to go further. The captured video very different than what is seen on the TV. Is almost too dark to see. If anybody knows how to correct this I believt the device is OK. Why couldn't they have just taken a few more days to get it right!

You have made ONE capture and reached all of these conclusions!!!

Try some other sources, DVD Player/camcorder/TV/PC and then come back and let us know what you find.

In 3 days you have made one capture and 7 complaining posts… Why don't you just return it for a refund?

You have made ONE capture and reached all of these conclusions!!!

Try some other sources, DVD Player/camcorder/TV/PC and then come back and let us know what you find.

In 3 days you have made one capture and 7 complaining posts… Why don't you just return it for a refund?

Touchy, touchy.

Several years ago I purchased Creator 8 for the sole purpose of creating a dvd slide show from the more than 3000 slides I have scanned into my computer. It was a desaster. The program was buggy and so bad that Roxio replaced it with a huge patch. There also the manual was almost useless in that a novice like me couldn't make a slideshow. Thanks to a couple helpful people in this forum I managed to cobble together a sideshow from a trip with my grandson. However the experience was so bad that I romoved the program and haven't gone back to my slides since. Currently I have a bunch of vhs tapes that I want to convert to DVD. I purshed 2009 and Video Capture USB for this sole purpose. For the reasons stated, this wasn't a good experience either. So if this is my reason for purchase and this is my experiences why would I "Try some other sources"?

Instead of putting me down, why don't you answer the one question I had if there is an answer and you know it or you can even point to the answer in the manual or help section. If you can't I guess my conclusions are correct. They released the product before it was ready!

I'm not touchy but your conclusion is… well, simply ridiculous.

I turned the key yesterday and my car didn't start right away. Therefore all GM cars are untested and clearly junk that was rushed to market! And don't even get me started on the Briggs & Stratton at the other end of the rope!

Spend more time trying and less time defending your fantasies…

Video is hard work but you have to be willing to put forth some effort. And I never had any perticular problems with V8. There was a 8.0 to 8.05 update for the CD version, hardly a "Big Patch". I do not even recall what it was supposed to fix.

I would love to work with you on this capture device as I am sure others would but your attitude may be a problem getting anywhere...

I'm not touchy but your conclusion is… well, simply ridiculous.

I turned the key yesterday and my car didn't start right away. Therefore all GM cars are untested and clearly junk that was rushed to market! And don't even get me started on the Briggs & Stratton at the other end of the rope!

Spend more time trying and less time defending your fantasies…

Video is hard work but you have to be willing to put forth some effort. And I never had any perticular problems with V8. There was a 8.0 to 8.05 update for the CD version, hardly a "Big Patch". I do not even recall what it was supposed to fix.

I would love to work with you on this capture device as I am sure others would but your attitude may be a problem getting anywhere...

OK Could you tell me how I can capture the vhs video so that it would be more representative of what I see on the TV and not be so dark?

OK Could you tell me how I can capture the vhs video so that it would be more representative of what I see on the TV and not be so dark?

Just wondering how goes the video appear on the computer while you are capturing?

Have you ever calibrated either display? Most people haven't. I got really frustrated when I tried to edit photos and then print them out. Some were too pink and some looked greenish. I ended up spending over $400 for professional display and printer calibration equipment. Point being - you may never get exactly what you see on a TV and what you see on a computer monitor the same. Both devices have color adjustments and brightness/contrast adjustments. Unless the two are calibrated the same way, they will never be the same.

Also how you preceive a display can be affected by ambient light. For example if the TV is in a room that is dark, the image may 'appear' more bright. And if the computer is in more birghtly light room, the image may apear more dark. There are tons of variables when comparing displays.

Your best solution? Ignore the darker computer display. Edit and burn a DVD RW and then watch the video on the TV. Most likely it will look just fine.

Dark

Since we cannot see what you see, 2 things come to mind…

As I suggested, use another source to see how it looks!

As Gary said it could be the way your PC presents it. Use a DVD RW for testing and burn it to see how it looks on your TV.

You have to move forward with this instead of just mulling in place. I do believe you, I had a still capture device some years ago that worked great until I tried it with digital camcorders. Tried 2 of them and it was too bright. If you are considering a refund, you need to get moving and make up your mind.