• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Chpaters

dementian27

Question

4 answers to this question

Is it possible to take a DVD thats say 1 hour 30 min and split it up into sections, and then put it back onto tast so I can have custom chapters? I don't know maybe there is a different way, if there is please let me know. Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly what it is you're trying to do. You have an existing DVD. Does it have chapter markers? Are you wanting a DVD that has a chapter menu (Toast calls it a scene menu). Tell me more about your project and desired outcome.

If you use the Media Browser to extract the video from a DVD (drag to the the Video window) Toast will retain any existing chapter markers. If none are present it adds a chapter marker each five minutes. Selecting "Include Scene menus for video" in the Disc Settings window (click the More button) will get you a DVD that has chapter menus. You cannot specifically place a chapter marker where none existed using Toast.

Ok, Well I have a DVD that doesnt have any chapters at all, it's just 1 long video. It is actually a video of a concert and I want to make a chapter for each song so i can easily navigate, but form what you said it doesn't sound like I can do that. Thanks.

Ok, Well I have a DVD that doesnt have any chapters at all, it's just 1 long video. It is actually a video of a concert and I want to make a chapter for each song so i can easily navigate, but form what you said it doesn't sound like I can do that. Thanks.

Don't give up so easy. There's always a way.

One option is to extract the video using the Media Browser as I noted. Then select the title in the Video window and click Export. Save as a DV. Then import that DV video into iMovie. There you can add chapter markers at the start of each song. After you save your iMovie project you can select it with the Toast Media Browser (see Toast Help for info). Toast will place those chapter markers and can make a scene menu for each marker. The scene menu is just a thumbnail image at the chapter point. There isn't any text description you can add to describe each marker.

You'll need lots of hard drive space to do this. A 1-hour video requires about 12 GB of space for the DV video and iMovie duplicates that when it is imported.

Another option is to get Miraizon's Cinematize or MPEG Streamclip. With those you can save MPEG 2 clips of video segments from the DVD that you select. When you drag each of those clips to Toast they will appear as individual titles. You then can add text to each title to describe it. By choosing the "Play all items continuously" option in Toast the DVD will automatically keep playing from one title to the next without returning to the menu. This option is much faster than the previous option because it doesn't involve any re-encoding of the video.

Yet another option is to purchase Pixela's CaptyDVD 2 for $70. After extracting the MPEG with Toast you can use that file directly in CaptyDVD, which offers the option to place specific chapter markers and to design chapter menus. I use it with concerts videos I've recorded from TV. One warning: it isn't easy to learn. Plan to have lots of do-overs.

Archived