Hard Drive Recovery

paulmpianist

About half a year ago I had a HP pavillion a350n crash so that it wouldn't boot up. It would try to boot up and get as far as the blue Windows XP screen it offered the F10 and F1 options to get into setup and into recover but that was all.

I took the hard drive out and bought an external hard drive enclosure box.

I put a new hard drive in the HP computer and then installed Windows. everything is fine there. However when i put the old hard drive in the external box and tried to look into it to copy the "My Documents" files and "Shared Documents" files... the computer wouldn't recognize the hard drive in the USB box.

I can't get the HP to recognize that it has a USB storage device.

A new hard drive in the external box shows up. The old crashed one won't show up. If i reformat it like i did half a year ago i will lose all the videos and music i recorded and composed.

thanks for any help.

i could take it to micro center or CompUsa and they could get it but i thought this external hard drive case would do it.

About half a year ago I had a HP pavillion a350n crash so that it wouldn't boot up. It would try to boot up and get as far as the blue Windows XP screen it offered the F10 and F1 options to get into setup and into recover but that was all.

I put a new hard drive in the HP computer and then installed Windows. everything is fine there. However when i put the old hard drive in the external box and tried to look into it to copy the "My Documents" files and "Shared Documents" files... the computer wouldn't recognize the hard drive in the USB box.

A new hard drive in the external box shows up. The old crashed one won't show up. If i reformat it like i did half a year ago i will lose all the videos and music i recorded and composed.

thanks for any help.

i could take it to micro center or CompUsa and they could get it but i thought this external hard drive case would do it.

I have no clue why you would post this in the Roxio forums, because it has abosolutely nothing to do with the product. Contact HP, and ask them about your problem, or go to the Afterdawn forums.

thanks for any help.

You don't have anything like GoBack, or some sort of boot manager installed on the "problem drive" do you? That could be preventing the drive from being recognized. If you do, you may have to install the drive as the primary and disable that application, then you may be able to use it in the external case. Or, alternatively, just install this internally as the secondary drive and see if that makes any difference.

Depending one how badly "crashed" the drive is, your data may or may not be recoverable. Something like Norton DiskDoctor may help, or may not.

Good luck!

I can certainly agree with Bruce. I suggest that Roxio had nothing to do with the OP's problem. I suggest "Pilot error" with other hardware problems.

Frank....

Not arguing about being a Roxio problem, but after all this is the General Chat area, where non-Roxio and non-CD/DVD burning items are to be discussed. (According to the title, only non-Roxio stuff is supposed to be discussed here.) So, this is a perfectly legit thread. However, getting participants is on an "as you can" basis, by all means.

The only reason that I posted here Dave was one of the other posts that the same OP had made on one of the other Roxio forum categories was blocked or locked. However, No problem with the general chat area as you suggest.

Frank....

The only reason that I posted here Dave was one of the other posts that the same OP had made on one of the other Roxio forum categories was blocked or locked. However, No problem with the general chat area as you suggest.

Frank....

Actually, this was the one that was locked, I asked Bruce to unlock it. At that point, I hadn't found the other threads that had been started. I probably should've looked around a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be something as simple and as tiny as a jumper on the drive. You want the bad drive to be a slave to the good drive, but you'll have to review your hardware instructions to be sure you have it right, especially when it comes to using an external enclosure. I think most drives now have an auto-detect setup (I know that's not the right term, but I can't recall it in a hurry), and that will be the state it was in when you purchased it.

If you have a spare bay in the computer it makes more sense to put the bad drive in that, if only temporarily, and make sure the master is connected to the end connector on the primary IDE ribbon (as it should already be), with the slave (with correct jumper position) connected to the penultimate connector on the primary IDE ribbon. Power connections to both, of course.

You should find that you have full access to the slave, since the operating system is on the master, and you may feel far more comfortable in moving the data off the bad drive, with plenty of exploration to be sure nothing is missed, before reformatting it. At least one surface scan is advisable. You may also find that you prefer to keep the drive in the machine, especially if you have had trouble with it. I have both laptop-size and desktop-size external drives, and while I love the former, putting a 3-1/2" drive in an enclosure that requires a power supply and weighs a ton (with drive) is rather a waste and probably hard on the drive.

Cable Select is the term I was trying to remember. The following link is one example of one manufacturer’s page with explanations that would aid someone who had a drive from that manufacturer:

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref...r_settings.html

In your case, simply look up the web site for your brand and model number. (Usually the drive itself is plastered with labels or other indications of jumper settings.) Incidentally, that company also has its own software for formatting its drives, and you would be best advised to use such manufacturers' products if they are available for your drive.

As for those who so indignantly claimed that your post had no place in this forum, I might point out that you may now have a full hard drive of data with no place to put it but on removable media, such as Roxio might be able to write to. You might be astonished at the list of things that should be saved. So might we all, if we put our heads together. On the other hand, if you have enough space on the main drive or else on a third drive, that may not be necessary.

Start with Outlook.pst, with a note regarding format. Unless you were faithfully keeping backups on removable media, that is irreplaceable. The same is true of all data that changes from day to day (and hour-to-hour, up to the crash). Scoop up goodies that you thought were gone forever. Be very careful with programs: you are running everything from your primary drive, but if you double-click on an executable on the secondary drive, you may have smoke coming out of the machine. You can retrieve programs, but I think it’s tricky. Good luck.

(My apology for the major edit.)

Archived