Clean Install

vid2man97

Question

Hi John,

I'm not the biggest fan of the clean installs either and have been thru my share of them and still don't know why after 3 clean installs for v9 wouldn't work for me but the 4th did! I quit asking. However, it does help to start fresh.

I would suggest you do a clean install, then reboot and shut down all antivirus, firewall, internet security, spyware etc. programs and try the install again. .

I don't mean to butt into a thread where I have no input, but this reply really caught my eye.

I'm currently using emc10 and have an issue (for which I have a work-around) that has not been resolved after two clean installs. I now have to wonder if I might benefit from trying another clean install or two. I also wonder if it might benefit all those people out there who have an issue, are told to clean install, and return to the forums with "my problem's still there...clean install is a waste of time". Something to consider?

8 answers to this question

I don't mean to butt into a thread where I have no input, but this reply really caught my eye.

I'm currently using emc10 and have an issue (for which I have a work-around) that has not been resolved after two clean installs. I now have to wonder if I might benefit from trying another clean install or two. I also wonder if it might benefit all those people out there who have an issue, are told to clean install, and return to the forums with "my problem's still there...clean install is a waste of time". Something to consider?

What is your issue and what is your work around? It may be helpful to others with similar problems.

I'm also curious as to whether having an older version of EMC makes any difference. In my case I had EMC7.5 and 9 installed before installing 10. Since then, I've removed 7.5 and when I had reformatted (due to another problem) I installed v9 then v10 and it worked fine.

What is your issue and what is your work around? It may be helpful to others with similar problems.

I'm also curious as to whether having an older version of EMC makes any difference. In my case I had EMC7.5 and 9 installed before installing 10. Since then, I've removed 7.5 and when I had reformatted (due to another problem) I installed v9 then v10 and it worked fine.

There is one Here from back in July/Aug but it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this problem…

Vid2man97 has a burn problem in EMC 10 and this posting is about an installation problem. About as related as a Fish is to a Frisbee!

But since he was dragged kicking and screaming into doing a Clean Install he posted here to say it didn't work, therefore no one should bother. All his programs run but he can't burn a DVD…

Edited by Jim_Hardin

There is one Here from back in July/Aug but it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this problem…

Vid2man97 has a burn problem in EMC 10 and this posting is about an installation problem. About as related as a Fish is to a Frisbee!

But since he was dragged kicking and screaming into doing a Clean Install he posted here to say it didn't work, therefore no one should bother. All his programs run but he can't burn a DVD…

If you read my post above, you'd see that yes, my interjection had nothing to do with this thread. I was only commenting on Beerman's situation wherein he found a clean install was needed a few times before it "took".

I never ever said a clean install doesn't work(and no one should bother)...it just didn't work for me (twice). Prove me wrong and I'll appologize. No two situations are ever alike and I'd never (unless I was up till the wee hours and had one too many pints) make a suggestion that something that didn't work for me is unsuitable for someone else.

I was suggesting that for all the people out there that have problems (and you're one of the ones Jim, to suggest so quickly, though probably rightly so) to do an clean install, that it may take a second or third shot at it before it "takes" in the was it took Beerman a few tries when he was installing v9. Maybe I thought, I'd take Beerman's lead and try clean installing v10 on my system a third or fourth time.

Actually, I CAN burn DVDs, easily and regularly with Nero. Thank god I have it on my system because that's my workaround...to burn an iso with emc10 and burn the iso to disc with Nero. Not the best situation but the only working option I have at this time as emc10 will not allow me to burn due to some bizarre unquantifiable gremlin deep in my system.

Edited by vid2man97

If you read my post above, you'd see that yes, my interjection had nothing to do with this thread. I was only commenting on Beerman's situation wherein he found a clean install was needed a few times before it "took".

I never ever said a clean install doesn't work(and no one should bother)...it just didn't work for me (twice). Prove me wrong and I'll appologize. No two situations are ever alike and I'd never (unless I was up till the wee hours and had one too many pints) make a suggestion that something that didn't work for me is unsuitable for someone else.

I was suggesting that for all the people out there that have problems (and you're one of the ones Jim, to suggest so quickly, though probably rightly so) to do an clean install, that it may take a second or third shot at it before it "takes" in the was it took Beerman a few tries when he was installing v9. Maybe I thought, I'd take Beerman's lead and try clean installing v10 on my system a third or fourth time.

Actually, I CAN burn DVDs, easily and regularly with Nero. Thank god I have it on my system because that's my workaround...to burn an iso with emc10 and burn the iso to disc with Nero. Not the best situation but the only working option I have at this time as emc10 will not allow me to burn due to some bizarre unquantifiable gremlin deep in my system.

This discussion has no place in this thread thus it was removed.

The Clean Install resolves issues 90+% of the time.

When it does not, it still establishes a base line from which to proceed.

Advising someone to do a Clean Install is proven advice.

Advising someone not to, is very poor judgment and only delays a solution while raising the anxiety level!

This discussion has no place in this thread thus it was removed.

---Yes, thanks for splitting it.---

The Clean Install resolves issues 90+% of the time.

---Depending upon the issue, it probably does.---

When it does not, it still establishes a base line from which to proceed.

---I suppose it probably does but to most people it seems like such a radical step when possibly the problem merely involves one of the other many issues like out of date drivers, settings,and so on. Many people have had their problems solved without having to resort to a clean install. That doesn't mean it isn't needed though. When it comes to this area of expertise, you have more than I ever will and if you believe it's a magic bullet, so be it.---

Advising someone to do a Clean Install is proven advice.

Advising someone not to, is very poor judgment and only delays a solution while raising the anxiety level!

I still can't recall ever advising anyone not to do a clean install. I try my best not to advise, and at most merely suggest as this isn't my area of competence, let alone expertise. I leave that to my contributions in the photoshop and photography forums. I've just seen other people, including myself follow the clean install advice and still have the same problem we started with (albiet very very few).

My own "kicking and screaming" was because emc was the last program installed on a new system that had never seen any version of emc installed previously. To me, that's a "clean install". For it not to work off the bat, and be told a "clean install" is needed seemed ridiculous and still does. But, I did two clean installs (yes to the letter...it's not rocket science after all), still with no joy. Obviously I have a system quirk that will not allow emc to properly access my burner (though Nero has no problem whatsoever). So be it, but again my situation is unique and no one else should infer that the clean install is not worthwhile to them. Reading Beerman's reply in the other post that he needed four "clean installs" for v9 merely raised the question in my mind though that maybe if I "clean installed" a few times, one may "take". So when someone does a clean install and comes back with the same problem, maybe instead of implying they didn't "follow it to the letter", they might be suggested to simply try again a time or two. Hopefully second or third or fourth time's the charm.

I too with EMC 10 partial operating failure re-installed and re-installed and clean installed and clean installed and only when using the MS Windows installer Clean up Utility was there success, it seems that Roxio dumps files all over the place and the usual Windows Un-Install does not delete all of these files. When working, EMC is a brilliant piece of software, when not working it is the most frustrating I have come across.

I too with EMC 10 partial operating failure re-installed and re-installed and clean installed and clean installed and only when using the MS Windows installer Clean up Utility was there success, it seems that Roxio dumps files all over the place and the usual Windows Un-Install does not delete all of these files. When working, EMC is a brilliant piece of software, when not working it is the most frustrating I have come across.

Did you read the pinned post at the top of this forum? Step #1 is to use the MS Windows installer Clean up Utility :rolleyes:

As to Roxio dumping programs all over the place, many programs do that and a Windows uninstall always leaves remnants for most programs. Roxio is not unique in any of this.

Did you read the pinned post at the top of this forum? Step #1 is to use the MS Windows installer Clean up Utility :rolleyes:

As to Roxio dumping programs all over the place, many programs do that and a Windows uninstall always leaves remnants for most programs. Roxio is not unique in any of this.

Hello there in Canada, see www.willgowheelchairs.com, follow link to youtube, now at start of manufacturing Canada, China, these are the start of some of our videos in which Roxio plays a great part.

Roxio all now up and running perfectly, the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility was the solution.