How To Split Dvds?

d1v2d9

Question

I'm working with Toast 6 (also have Popcorn) and OSX 3.9. I'm looking for instructions about how to split up files that exceed the 4.38GB single DVD limit.

I have two uses for it: 1) to create a bootable data DVD (after using Carbon Copy Cloner) that will extend over 2 or more DVDs; and 2) to simply copy a multi-DVD-sized music file.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

3 answers to this question

Well as I remember, Stuffit Drop Stuff (I think it is) will "assemble" split files into their original wholeness. Now, if that's anywhere near accurate, I assume a bootable DVD would result. That is, you put in the two or three DVDs, the last one somehow triggers Drop Stuff to do its work and viola! Or am I completely missing something about how computers work?

Dave

If I understand your process correctly the error in your reasoning is that somehow an application can be launched and used (Stuffit) before the Mac is finished booting up from the DVD. The only way I know to create a bootable OS X DVD is to use the Toast Copy window to duplicate an existing bootable DVD. I don't believe you can make a bootable backup of your system that is burned to disc. But if the folks at Carbon Copy Cloner say it can be done, then I must be mistaken.

I'm working with Toast 6 (also have Popcorn) and OSX 3.9. I'm looking for instructions about how to split up files that exceed the 4.38GB single DVD limit.

I have two uses for it: 1) to create a bootable data DVD (after using Carbon Copy Cloner) that will extend over 2 or more DVDs; and 2) to simply copy a multi-DVD-sized music file.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Toast 7 includes a disc spanning feature that will automatically split the content. Apple's application called Backup will burn data across multiple discs as well. It comes with a .mac subscription. Retrospect burns across multiple discs. Stuffit Deluxe can create archives that it will split into DVD-sized segments. I doubt any of these would make a bootable DVD that is split across two discs (how would that work?), but they will handle the multi-DVD-sized music file.

Stuffit Deluxe can create archives that it will split into DVD-sized segments. I doubt any of these would make a bootable DVD that is split across two discs (how would that work?), but they will handle the multi-DVD-sized music file.

Well as I remember, Stuffit Drop Stuff (I think it is) will "assemble" split files into their original wholeness. Now, if that's anywhere near accurate, I assume a bootable DVD would result. That is, you put in the two or three DVDs, the last one somehow triggers Drop Stuff to do its work and viola! Or am I completely missing something about how computers work?

Dave

Archived