Can't Capture From Vhs

daveflorida

Question

Just bought Creator 2009 that came with the USB capture device for the sole purpose of transferring VHS tapes either to my computer or DVD. Installed everything per instructions. Plugged in VCR and clicked "capture video"...nothing.

Called tech support who sent me directions on doing a clean install. Followed verbatim, everything went fine but still no capture from VCR.

Called tech support back and he emailed me a link to update the drivers for my ATI Radeon video card. Did that but still no capture.

Per tech support, tried changing capture mode to software rather than hardware...nothing.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 for the record.

I'm getting Deja Vu here... same experience years ago with Dazzle products on a different computer. Purchased two different models over a year period and neither worked. Dazzle told me to take a hike when I dared ask for a refund. I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'm beginning to think capturing video on a computer is still years off for some reason.

One thing I have to say... N. American support is greatly appreciated with relatively short hold times. Just wish I didn't have to take a week off from work just to save some old videos.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 answers to this question

So the RCA composite cables of the USB device are connected to the Out ports of the VCR (the same ports where the TV cables are connected to the VCR)? Did you start playing the VCR so the software will detect signal coming in?

Describe the steps that you are trying to do in details.

Edited by malatekid

So the RCA composite cables of the USB device are connected to the Out ports of the VCR (the same ports where the TV cables are connected to the VCR)? Did you start playing the VCR so the software will detect signal coming in?

Describe the steps that you are trying to do in details.

Thanks. Yes, I have the RCA cables (tried several different pairs) connected to the out, both audio and video on my VCR into the supplied connectors on the USB capture device. I have tried it different ways: opening the software with the VCR already on with a tape running, opening the software first, then turning on the VCR, disconnecting the USB capture device then open software then plugging in device, etc.

I also tried capturing from my Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 to eliminate the Roxio software as a cause. It is recognizing a "USB 2861" device but says it could not be opened.

One thing I failed to mention in my first post (but I did mention it to tech support): When I installed the capture drivers from the supplied disk, on my first install as well as my second "clean install", I received an error message halfway through the install:

MS Visual C++ Runtime Library

program......files\RoxioShared\11.00\Sharedcom\contentmanager11.exe

The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more info.

After I clicked OK, the install proceeded to completion. When I plug in or unplug the capture device, I get the standard Windows bell, so the computer knows something is connected. I am plugging directly into one of my USB ports, not my multi-USB box as well.

In terms of exactly what I am doing, step by step:

Open Roxio software and either: click capture video directly from main screen, or click on video-movies on left side and then, under import, click on capture video. Have tried with various combinations of hardware plugged in or not, as I mentioned above.

Thanks again for any help!

Thanks. Yes, I have the RCA cables (tried several different pairs) connected to the out, both audio and video on my VCR into the supplied connectors on the USB capture device. I have tried it different ways: opening the software with the VCR already on with a tape running, opening the software first, then turning on the VCR, disconnecting the USB capture device then open software then plugging in device, etc.

I also tried capturing from my Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 to eliminate the Roxio software as a cause. It is recognizing a "USB 2861" device but says it could not be opened.

One thing I failed to mention in my first post (but I did mention it to tech support): When I installed the capture drivers from the supplied disk, on my first install as well as my second "clean install", I received an error message halfway through the install:

MS Visual C++ Runtime Library

program......files\RoxioShared\11.00\Sharedcom\contentmanager11.exe

The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more info.

After I clicked OK, the install proceeded to completion. When I plug in or unplug the capture device, I get the standard Windows bell, so the computer knows something is connected. I am plugging directly into one of my USB ports, not my multi-USB box as well.

In terms of exactly what I am doing, step by step:

Open Roxio software and either: click capture video directly from main screen, or click on video-movies on left side and then, under import, click on capture video. Have tried with various combinations of hardware plugged in or not, as I mentioned above.

Thanks again for any help!

Read this thread. It is pinned above this forum:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=42602

Read this thread. It is pinned above this forum:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=42602

Thanks for the thread. So, I possibly have the wrong drivers?

I purchased mine in the store, not online. I explored the driver disk and I do have several files on it, not one.

In device manager, I have a USB Capture device showing up under sound, video and game controllers. Manufacturer is eMPIA Technology. Location is 0 (USB 2861 Device). It says the device is working properly. The driver date is 3/6/2008, version 5.8.306.0

Does anyone know if this is an outdated driver?

I purchased mine in the store, not online. I explored the driver disk and I do have several files on it, not one.

In device manager, I have a USB Capture device showing up under sound, video and game controllers. Manufacturer is eMPIA Technology. Location is 0 (USB 2861 Device). It says the device is working properly. The driver date is 3/6/2008, version 5.8.306.0

Are you trying to copy home movies or studio movies that are copy protected?

Are you trying to copy home movies or studio movies that are copy protected?

Only home movies that aren't copy protected. They're the only proof I once had a full head of hair!

Only home movies that aren't copy protected. They're the only proof I once had a full head of hair!

oops.. just realized I'm running XP SP3. I didn't realize THAT got slipped on my computer. Don't know if this is causing any of my problems?

My bet is that you have the wrong drivers and have to contact Roxio Support to get the correct ones. I don't see them posted anywhere.

You should have two entries:

1. USB 2861 Device. Drivers are Microsoft

2. USB Capture Device. I have Windows Vista 64 Bit and my drivers are the same version as yours.

My capture device works. Just a thought. You MIGHT uninstall both of these devices from within Device Manager. When uninstalling...Windows will ask that when you remove the hardware, do you want all the drivers removed...tell it YES. Reboot...and plug the capture device in again. Then cancel windows installing any drivers and put the disk in and try again.

Bob