Help

champers

Question

6 answers to this question

You're actually in the "Copy & Convert 3" forum, but it's probably as good as any for your question.

What sort of disc is the DVD on? DVD+R or RW, or DVD-R or RW ?

What Sonic/Roxio software do you have? [name and version number]

Regards,

Brendon

You're actually in the "Copy & Convert 3" forum, but it's probably as good as any for your question.

What sort of disc is the DVD on? DVD+R or RW, or DVD-R or RW ?

What Sonic/Roxio software do you have? [name and version number]

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendan Thanks for your quick reply.

Im not sure what type of disk it is. It is a game of football that has been given to my son. Thinking about it it could evevn be a Cd. The software I have is Roxio Creator Version 9.0 116

I hope this is enough information.

Thnaks

Vicki

Hello Vicki,

We need to know precisely WHAT it is before we can help much here. If you can examine the physical disc it should be possible to tell if it's a CD or DVD [if in doubt, just tell us all the manufacturer's printing you can see] and if it's a pressed commercial disc [silver colored] or a burned one [the data side has a colored hue, yellow, green or blue, rather than being water clear]

Since it will play in the computer, pop it in the drive and turn down Windows' offer to run it. Open "My Computer" and see what Windows says is in the drive. Right-click the drive icon, and select 'Explore' rather than 'Open', to see what sort of files it has on it.

If it has a folder called VIDEO_TS then it's a DVD. No such folder and Windows says it's 700 MB or less in size, and it's a CD.

If it doesn't have a VIDEO_TS folder, tell us what sort of files it has.

Is your software just called "Creator 9" and supplied by Dell or a disc drive vendor, or is it a Roxio supplied "Easy Media Creator 9" ?? [Does it have a program to make DVDs ??]

How's that for a start?? :)

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendan

The disk is a DVD RW and the type of file is AVI file.

My programme is called Roxio Creator DE but it did come as part of a Dell package.

I am able to copy DVDs.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Vicki

Edited by Brendon

Hi Vicki,

Right, I have everything I need to know now, thanks. [i took the quote out of your post since it wasn't needed :) ]

The AVI file will play happily on your computer but won't play on older DVD players without being converted into a Video-DVD.

Easy Media Creator 9 has the ability to convert AVI files to Video-DVD, but I understand that Dell did not [for some reason] want that ability included in your Creator Dell Edition, which is a cut-down suite.

In EMC9 the converter is accessed through the "DivX DVDs" menus - see below. If your DE version doesn't have those menus, that would seem to confirm what I was told. :(

post-208-1223280368.jpg

In that case you will need to find some other software which will convert from AVI to DVD-Video. EMC 9 or later will do it, or you can find other convertors available through an Internet search. "DivX to DVD" is a good phrase to search with, as the DivX codec will handle most of the popular compressors.

If you ever get a new DVD player, it would be worth looking out for one which is "DivX certified" since they can play AVI files on data CDs or DVDs without the need for conversion.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendan

You were right my programme must be a cut down one because when I opened it it doesnt have the DivXDVD line.

I guess I will have to look for a new programme,

I also have Nero Express on my computor but I dont know how to use that either.

I am going to ring Dell to see if there is anyway i can get the full programme.

Thank you for your help you have been great.

Cheers

Vicki