Mydvd8 Certificate File Missing Or Corrupt (win2k)

braze

Question

This is a brand new retail install of EMC8 suite.

I can run every program included except MyDVD,

which gives the following popup error:

"The certificate file is missing or has been corrupted. Please re-install it."

I can run MyDVD Express, but not the full version.

I've searched around and others that had this problem

where either running windows XP (which suggested a registry

permission fix - which I cannot do in windows 2000), or they

were upgrading from previous EMC7 (which I'm also not doing).

This is a plain complete install of a retail version of EMC8.

I'm running it from an account that has admin privledges.

I installed it from an account that has admin privledges.

I have registered. I can launch every other program included in the set.

All my drivers sound be up to date (not that it sounds related to a driver).

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ~1.3GHz, Memory: 512MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

Easy Media Creator 8 Retail

Any idea how or why I cannot run just this particular program in Windows 2000?

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

I have done this numerous times, including cleaning out all registry entries around roxio stuff manually as well as using the suggested tools - and have now worked out that it is the (automatically downloaded) update that breaks this app. When installed clean MyDVD works fine. As soon as the update is installed, it comes up with this error!

This is on a Windows XP (SP2) machine.

So, come on, Roxi/Sonic, please can you provide an update that does not break people's systems... you need to find out why this is happening and fix it! In the meantime, I suggest that people do NOT accept the automatic update for this software if they want to continue using MyDVD!

There is no update that is automatically downloaded, that I know of. You have to tell it to download. If you don't want to be notified of any updates, click on the Roxio Home icon on your desktop, then click on Tools, then click on Options, and disable it.

post-81-1146832812.jpg

There is no update that is automatically downloaded, that I know of. You have to tell it to download. If you don't want to be notified of any updates, click on the Roxio Home icon on your desktop, then click on Tools, then click on Options, and disable it.

Agreed. But that still does not make it right that a suppoosed update to the software, which purports to fix and improve things, breaks some of the software... I have even installed the software clean except for the MyDVD option, updated this, and then 'added' MyDVD only to find exactly the same fault coming up.

There is a major BUG in this supposed update! Roxio/Sonic should fix this PDQ so that the update does not break software that it is supposed to be updating!

I would also think that there MUST be some patch that they can create to fix this problem without having to deinstall/reinstall the software repeatedly. They charge enough for this software, especially as the Open Source and Freeware products to continue to improve! So, please, Roxio/Sonic, fix this problem so that users can get on with using the software that they are paying for!

I have now also looked at this on another machine with WinXP SP2 and have found exactly the same situation. Run the basic install, all is well. Upgrade to SP1 and it breaks MyDVD. I am just about to completely rebuild a machine on which I can test to see if the SP1 "fix" is specifically the problem.... maybe then we can convince Sonic/Roxio to look at this and get their installers and fixers to a place where they actually work without users having to dive into the registry, run "repair" tools, etc.

One thing of note in both cases is that, as I already have WinDVD as my DVD player (and as Sonic seems to override whatevere is installed and become the default DVD decoder for WMP even if you tell it otherwise) and as I don't want 'yet another backup utility' forced on my machine that can't be removed (Sonic BackupMyPC) I followed support's guidance to make a copy of the basic installation disk without these two directories, as there is NO WAY to stop these being installed with the installer - and no way to remove them after installation either!

Put all of this together, and the quality of this software (and the bloadtware that it includes, some of which you don't even have the ability to stop installation of - or uninsttsall after) makes me think that I should be looking elsewhere for product to do the things I need.

Gof help people who are not technically capable trying to cope with this!

For those that might later search this forum. Here is what

I got from tech support that appears so far to be working.

I guess their new user out of the box install means install,

un-install, re-install again. Install twice just to make sure.

Geesh ;-)

Note this is the windows 2000 work around:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow the instructions below to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to remove software

1. Download Microsoft windows installer clean up utility

a. Enter the following address into the Address Bar of your web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

b. Scroll down to and click on Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now

c. Click on Save and select to save to your Desktop

2. Install and use the Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Easy Media Creator

a. On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install

b. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

c. Select Roxio Easy Media Creator and Roxio Burn Engine (if listed)

d. Click on Remove

e. Reboot your system

3. Re-install Easy Media Creator

Well, I have just installled - from scratch - WinXP Pro SP2 on a machine plus the drivers (HP nw8000) and then Easy Media 8. MyDVD worked fine and then I installed the upgrade to 8.05 and, yet again, it comes up with 'missing or corrupt certificate'.....

The only other "difference" from a bog-standard installation situation is that I install the Easy Roxio apps, without installing Sonic Player or MyPCBackup (as they clashed with other software on the system, and generally cluttered up the services and system, notably clashing with WinDVD which I use for playing DVDs and it's config in WMP) and using the custom install deselecting Roxio Backup (why 2 backup apps anyway, especially as I already have my own backup regime), media manager and home service.... to try to manage how much resource this suite takes from my machine!

I stop BackupMyPC and Sonic Player, as instructed by Sonic/Roxio support, by copying the install CD and simply deleting the directories that hold Sonic Player and BackupMyPC.... as the installer does not allow you to deselect these apps. I double checked with them to make sure that this would not cause problems, and was assured this was the case (so, why do they force them to be installed anyway)...

I have already complained about this stealth installation of software that does things to my machine that I don't want and have no control over (sounds like a virus, doesn't it), but Sonic/Roxio seem to want to simply stuff software on our machines without allowing the owners of the machine to control what is installed. It would not be "so" bad if you could uninstall these modules, but the way they are installed does not even show them as options for uninstalling!

So, come on Sonic/Roxio - get the installer sorted and get your updates tested properly so that installation does not break apps that you ship - let alone apps you ship breaking other apps!

I have done this numerous times, including cleaning out all registry entries around roxio stuff manually as well as using the suggested tools - and have now worked out that it is the (automatically downloaded) update that breaks this app. When installed clean MyDVD works fine. As soon as the update is installed, it comes up with this error!

This is on a Windows XP (SP2) machine.

So, come on, Roxi/Sonic, please can you provide an update that does not break people's systems... you need to find out why this is happening and fix it! In the meantime, I suggest that people do NOT accept the automatic update for this software if they want to continue using MyDVD!

Archived