• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

("crc Or Ecc Error - Medium Error." [03/10/00]) Please Help!

beeboman

Question

I need some help. I've already done a clean install and finally had no issues installing the program. I should note that I am running Windows Vista Ultimate (32). I have an HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA Device burner which is capable of burning DVD+/-R DL. Every time I try using one of the DL discs (I've used about 5 so far) I get this error message:

: ("CRC or ECC error - Medium error." [03/10/00])

Sense Key = 0x03

ASC = 0x10

ASCQ = 0x00

ULONG: Error Number = 13100001

STRING: Error String = CRC or ECC error - Medium error.

and then this one:

Unspecified error: 0x13100001

I am at my wits end here and ready to send this back to request a return. I am trying to burn 11 .mpg files and 1 .avi file. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature. The total size of all 12 files is under 8 gb so I do not understand why I get this message when I try to burn the CD. I should also note that when burning, it goes anywhere from 17-45% until it stops and gives me this error. Someone please let me know what I can do to get this to work. :blink:

17 answers to this question

Did you post this before under a different name? – If so I want to see what has been done.

You are aware that the file size "12 files under 8 gb" is totally useless information???

The combined Time is the only thing that matters. A 4.7 GB disc will hold about 1 hour of DVD Move. An 8.5 will hold slightly under 2 hours… I should point out that these "times" are for Best quality and VCC will re-render to fit the media, within reason… 4 hours onto a 4.7 GB is a snap but I have not really pushed it to see at what point it will break!

What happens if you use a 4.7 GB disc?

Provide some details and we will see what we can do. Are you using 'dash' or 'plus' DL media?

Did you post this before under a different name? – If so I want to see what has been done.

You are aware that the file size "12 files under 8 gb" is totally useless information???

The combined Time is the only thing that matters. A 4.7 GB disc will hold about 1 hour of DVD Move. An 8.5 will hold slightly under 2 hours…

Provide some details and we will see what we can do.

Jim,

No, I have not posted before. I am brand new to the Roxio community. I used a 4.7 gb dvd+r to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours onto the disc, so I really don't believe that was "totally useless information". I am not using DVD Copy which would is where the combined "Time" aspect applies. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD-Video feature. Like I said, I used a 4.7 gb disc to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours on to the disc. I have tried to get even just 6 files (total time 6 hours) onto the DVD+R DL disc. I don't know what sort of details you need other than what I have provided, so please let me know what else you will need to help me out. Thanks!

Jim,

No, I have not posted before. I am brand new to the Roxio community. I used a 4.7 gb dvd+r to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours onto the disc, so I really don't believe that was "totally useless information". I am not using DVD Copy which would is where the combined "Time" aspect applies. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD-Video feature. Like I said, I used a 4.7 gb disc to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours on to the disc. I have tried to get even just 6 files (total time 6 hours) onto the DVD+R DL disc. I don't know what sort of details you need other than what I have provided, so please let me know what else you will need to help me out. Thanks!

We are here at the same time. Yes the file size is totally useless info no matter how you want to phrase it…

The only time it would be of any relevance is if you were burning a Data Disc with Creator Classic or Burn Data Disc.

The program you are using is making a DVD Movie. That is all it will do.

Is that not what you intended to do?

We are here at the same time. Yes the file size is totally useless info no matter how you want to phrase it…

The only time it would be of any relevance is if you were burning a Data Disc with Creator Classic or Burn Data Disc.

The program you are using is making a DVD Movie. That is all it will do.

Is that not what you intended to do?

Jim, I am still failing to see why the time is irrelevant since I was able to get over 4 hours worth of video on a 4.7 gb disc. According to what you said

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Oct 5 2008, 12:08 PM) *

The combined Time is the only thing that matters. A 4.7 GB disc will hold about 1 hour of DVD Move. An 8.5 will hold slightly under 2 hours…

So, if a 4.7 is only able to get about an hour worth of DVD movie, why am I able to get 4 hours worth of mpg's on to the DVD?

Here is some of my system information:

System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

Model Latitude D820

Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM

System type 32-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 2

64-bit capable Yes

Storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 112 GB

Disk partition (C:) 23 GB Free (110 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 1 GB Free (2 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M

Total available graphics memory 1023 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 767 MB

Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.5683

Primary monitor resolution 1280x800

DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Network Adapter Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Please let me know what else you might need. Thanks again.

Oh, okay so since it re-renders how much could I get on a DVD+R DL disc?

Jim, I am still failing to see why the time is irrelevant since I was able to get over 4 hours worth of video on a 4.7 gb disc. According to what you said

So, if a 4.7 is only able to get about an hour worth of DVD movie, why am I able to get 4 hours worth of mpg's on to the DVD?

What program, in the suite, did you use to get 4 hours of video, on a standard (4.7GB) DVD?

What program, in the suite, did you use to get 4 hours of video, on a standard (4.7GB) DVD?

I am using the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature. If you check my first post I explain exactly what it is I am trying to do.

I'm not sure what question of Jim's I am not answering. I have provided all the details as to what it is I am trying to do. I really do want some help so I don't have to return the program. I am fairly new at trying to burn with Double/Dual layer DVD's and need all the help I can get. Jim, please detail what it is that is needed to try and resolve this issue. I feel that I have answered your questions, so please let me know what more you need.

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Oct 5 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Time is not irrlevant and Jim does not state that: he posted that file size is irrlevant. Also, a Standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of best quality DVD. You can squeeze on longer videos but the quality will be reduced.

We would like to know what program you used to put 4 hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD and how you did it. Please answer that question in detail.

Time is not irrlevant and Jim does not state that: he posted that file size is irrlevant. Also, a Standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of best quality DVD. You can squeeze on longer videos but the quality will be reduced.

We would like to know what program you used to put 4 hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD and how you did it. Please answer that question in detail.

I have already answered all these questions. As for the time vs. file size being irrelevant, I had a brain fart and posted the wrong words. I meant to say file size. So to answer again, I used the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature using Roxio Creator 2009 with a DVD+R 4.7gb to get 4 hours worth of video onto the DVD. What I am trying to do is to get even more hours of video onto a DVD+R DL 8gb disc, but I get the Medium Error message when it gets about 30% done. I figure that if I can get 4 hours on a regular DVD+R that I can get even more on DVD+R DL disc. Again, any help is appreciated.

I am using the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature. If you check my first post I explain exactly what it is I am trying to do.

I'm not sure what question of Jim's I am not answering. I have provided all the details as to what it is I am trying to do. I really do want some help so I don't have to return the program. I am fairly new at trying to burn with Double/Dual layer DVD's and need all the help I can get. Jim, please detail what it is that is needed to try and resolve this issue. I feel that I have answered your questions, so please let me know what more you need.

You said nothing about burning 4 hours of video to a DVD, in your first post.

BTW, that error you got means the burner doesn't like the media, the media is bad, or your burner is going belly up.

I have already answered all these questions. As for the time vs. file size being irrelevant, I had a brain fart and posted the wrong words. I meant to say file size. So to answer again, I used the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature using Roxio Creator 2009 with a DVD+R 4.7gb to get 4 hours worth of video onto the DVD. What I am trying to do is to get even more hours of video onto a DVD+R DL 8gb disc, but I get the Medium Error message when it gets about 30% done. I figure that if I can get 4 hours on a regular DVD+R that I can get even more on DVD+R DL disc. Again, any help is appreciated.

What format aree you trying to burn onto the DL disc.?

Perhaps somethng here will help.

It is possible that you got a bad batch of discs.

Again, I have answered all these questions that are being asked. You're right it wasn't my first post that I mentioned 4 hours, it was my second post. I guess I'm just frustrated that people are only reading part of the post and asking me the same question The media that I am trying to burn is MPG and AVI. My next move it to burn a DVD+R instead of the DVD+R DL and I guess that will rule out the burner going bad. As for the batch of DVD's being bad...what a waste of money if that is the case. I mean, DL DVD's aren't cheap. I've pretty much spent the worth of the program in 2 batches of DVD's. Is it normal for the burning process to be okay and then just crap out about 1/3 of the way through? What else can I do to try and pin-point what the issue is?

Thanks for the link!! It does help.

Again, I have answered all these questions that are being asked. You're right it wasn't my first post that I mentioned 4 hours, it was my second post. I guess I'm just frustrated that people are only reading part of the post and asking me the same question The media that I am trying to burn is MPG and AVI. My next move it to burn a DVD+R instead of the DVD+R DL and I guess that will rule out the burner going bad. As for the batch of DVD's being bad...what a waste of money if that is the case. I mean, DL DVD's aren't cheap. I've pretty much spent the worth of the program in 2 batches of DVD's. Is it normal for the burning process to be okay and then just crap out about 1/3 of the way through? What else can I do to try and pin-point what the issue is?

Thanks for the link!! It does help.

It seems that you are trying ti burn a data disc rather than a video disc. Use Creator Classic instead.

I think many thought that you were trying to put video on a disc for playing on a DVD player.

It seems that you are trying ti burn a data disc rather than a video disc. Use Creator Classic instead.

I think many thought that you were trying to put video on a disc for playing on a DVD player.

No, I am trying to put video on a disc for playing on a DVD player. I have already been successful with putting the video on a DVD+R but not a DVD+R DL. Thanks for the help though!

No, I am trying to put video on a disc for playing on a DVD player. I have already been successful with putting the video on a DVD+R but not a DVD+R DL. Thanks for the help though!

Your responses are confusing and that is why people keep asking questions. For example what does "I am trying to put video on a disc for playing on a DVD player" mean? That could mean that you are creating a data disc or a video disc. DVD player could mean a stand-alone player or a player on your computer system and they behave completely different.

Are you using mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4? Are you using DV avi or DivX? All of these are different formats and responses would we different.

Your responses are confusing and that is why people keep asking questions. For example what does "I am trying to put video on a disc for playing on a DVD player" mean? That could mean that you are creating a data disc or a video disc. DVD player could mean a stand-alone player or a player on your computer system and they behave completely different.

Are you using mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4? Are you using DV avi or DivX? All of these are different formats and responses would we different.

No, they are not confusing if you read ALL the posts made. I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over again. I want to have it play in a standalone DVD player AND computer DVD player. I'm sorry that some people are having difficulty reading all the posts. If you can't help me, then don't comment and say that I'm not answering questions, because that is just not true. I am trying to answer the questions with my limited knowledge of DVD+R DL's. I realize that no one HAS to help me, but I am trying to avoid having to return this product which is why I decided to use the forum. Based on what I've read, I figure it might be a media issue. But for the people who haven't read ALL the post, here is everything that I have already posted condensed down to one post:

I am trying to put MPG and AVI files onto a DVD+R DL disc. I have no idea what type of MPG file it is...the properties show that it is an MPG file. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature. The total size of all 12 files is under 8 gb so I do not understand why I get this message when I try to burn the DVD.

I used a 4.7 gb dvd+r to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours onto the disc, so I really don't believe that was "totally useless information". I am not using DVD Copy which would is where the combined "Time" aspect applies. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD-Video feature. Like I said, I used a 4.7 gb disc to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours on to the disc. I have tried to get even just 6 files (total time 6 hours) onto the DVD+R DL disc.

System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

Model Latitude D820

Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM

System type 32-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 2

64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 112 GB

Disk partition (C:) 23 GB Free (110 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 1 GB Free (2 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M

Total available graphics memory 1023 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 767 MB

Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.5683

Primary monitor resolution 1280x800

DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Network Adapter Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

I used the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature using Roxio Creator 2009 with a DVD+R 4.7gb to get 4 hours worth of video onto the DVD. What I am trying to do is to get even more hours of video onto a DVD+R DL 8gb disc, but I get the Medium Error message when it gets about 30% done. I figure that if I can get 4 hours on a regular DVD+R that I can get even more on DVD+R DL disc.

Whatever other information would be helpful to help resolve this issue, please let me know. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to try and help.

No, they are not confusing if you read ALL the posts made. I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over again. I want to have it play in a standalone DVD player AND computer DVD player. I'm sorry that some people are having difficulty reading all the posts. If you can't help me, then don't comment and say that I'm not answering questions, because that is just not true. I am trying to answer the questions with my limited knowledge of DVD+R DL's. I realize that no one HAS to help me, but I am trying to avoid having to return this product which is why I decided to use the forum. Based on what I've read, I figure it might be a media issue. But for the people who haven't read ALL the post, here is everything that I have already posted condensed down to one post:

I am trying to put MPG and AVI files onto a DVD+R DL disc. I have no idea what type of MPG file it is...the properties show that it is an MPG file. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature. The total size of all 12 files is under 8 gb so I do not understand why I get this message when I try to burn the DVD.

I used a 4.7 gb dvd+r to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours onto the disc, so I really don't believe that was "totally useless information". I am not using DVD Copy which would is where the combined "Time" aspect applies. I am using the Copy and Convert DVD-Video feature. Like I said, I used a 4.7 gb disc to get 4 files with a total time of 4 hours on to the disc. I have tried to get even just 6 files (total time 6 hours) onto the DVD+R DL disc.

System

I used the Copy and Convert DVD Video feature using Roxio Creator 2009 with a DVD+R 4.7gb to get 4 hours worth of video onto the DVD. What I am trying to do is to get even more hours of video onto a DVD+R DL 8gb disc, but I get the Medium Error message when it gets about 30% done. I figure that if I can get 4 hours on a regular DVD+R that I can get even more on DVD+R DL disc.

Whatever other information would be helpful to help resolve this issue, please let me know. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to try and help.

You aren't paying attention or aren't replying to questions, with the information asked. Some examples are:

1. Jim, in Post #4 of this thread, said that SIZE of the file wasn't necessarily relevant and that time is. Your response was that you failed to see why TIME was relevant. It is, if you want any quality, and if you want it to actually burn to a DVD.

2. I then asked you what program you used to burn 4 hours to a DVD. You said that you used Copy and Convert, and you had said that in your first post, then changed it to your second post. You didn't mention using Copy and Convert to burn that 4 hour video in either post.

3. Walt (myguggi) asked you what file types you are trying to burn. You told him Mpeg and Avi files, of which there are many types, hence him asking about DivX files and mpeg 4 files, etc. You posted the same thing as you posted in the post that Walt questioned the type.

Check your burner, and media, by trying to burn a disc, using the native Vista burning software.

Archived