• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

stevebaze

Dvd Rom Plus Videos

Question

I have burnt a DVD ROM disc with family tree webcards on it and also on the same DVD burnt a number of movies on the other partition.

I cannot access the movie side when I have burnt showing the DVD web cards and I cannot access the DVD Rom when I have burnt showing the movies.

I am assuming that my assumption that I can burn both on the same disc, in their respective partitions, and access them both is not correct, or am I forgettig something?

To clear up another point - If i run my family webcards on my Mac I can access the movies that are embedded in the webcards on my Mac - however, when I run the disc on a PC with either Vista or XP when I try to access the movies in my webcards I get a blank picture area that says I need a Plug-In.

Is the above because my Mac links itself to my movies on on my hard drive but there is no link when I run the disc on a PC?

Other points - is that when I open my family webcards the icon which opens the web cards disappears

also I cannot drag and drop the disc from my DEsktop to the trash because I get a message telling me that the application is still in use but i can dismount the disc by opening the tray.

Cheers

Steve

2 answers to this question

I don't know what a webcard is but I'm confident it is treated as data on a disc. Are your movies in a VIDEO_TS folder so they can be played on a standalone DVD player or are they movie files for playing on a computer? Or are you trying to create a video DVD from movie files to be burned along with the webcard data files?

If you have an existing VIDEO_TS folder plus the data files just choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format in the Data window, click New Disc, add the folders and files and burn your DVD. If your movies are for playing on a computer and not on a standalone DVD player then do the same thing and choose either Mac & PC or DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format.

If you want to create a video DVD from movie files along with data content let me know and I'll pass along that instruction.

Since I don't know what a webcard is I don't know what plugin may be needed to view them on a PC.

Toast doesn't make aliases to files on your Mac unless you drag an existing alias to Toast.

I don't know what a webcard is but I'm confident it is treated as data on a disc. Are your movies in a VIDEO_TS folder so they can be played on a standalone DVD player or are they movie files for playing on a computer? Or are you trying to create a video DVD from movie files to be burned along with the webcard data files?

If you have an existing VIDEO_TS folder plus the data files just choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format in the Data window, click New Disc, add the folders and files and burn your DVD. If your movies are for playing on a computer and not on a standalone DVD player then do the same thing and choose either Mac & PC or DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format.

If you want to create a video DVD from movie files along with data content let me know and I'll pass along that instruction.

Since I don't know what a webcard is I don't know what plugin may be needed to view them on a PC.

Toast doesn't make aliases to files on your Mac unless you drag an existing alias to Toast.

"are you trying to create a video DVD from movie files to be burned along with the webcard data files? "Yes.

I have a Family Tree application - Reunion 9. When you want to send the family tree to people, either by disc or upload to a website, you convert the family tree into web cards. The webcards contain cross referred data, jpgs, mp3s and movies. They are not in a Video_TS folder they end up in the webcards as QuickTime movie files (zzxx.MOV files)

It is the fact that if I send this disc burnt as a DVD ROM to a windows computer everything except the movies (quicktime) reads and works as a cross referred database. My thought was that I could put the movies into one half of the DVD so that they could be read on a computer or desktop DVD player and the other half as a DVD ROM would contain the database, but stripped of its movies, so that to read the DVD ROM you played it in your computer, and then you put the DVD into your DVD player and watched the movies. But I suppose the answer is two discs - one as a DVD ROM and the other as - a disc with movies on it.

I think I want my cake and eat it

Cheers

Steve