Sign in to follow this  
dm12

Restoring Files To New Operating System - Vista

Question

I seemed to be having some problems with my Windows XP computer so I purchased Back On Track 3 in order to protect my data. I did the backup and a few days later it crashed. It was a little older so decided that rather than go through the repair I would buy an new computer. I felt very secure knowing I had backed up all my files. But, Back On Track is not compatible with Vista so now what? Actually, I tried to contact support and with every reply I got a different answer. I was told it would, I was told it wouldn't and I was told to repurchase which I will not do unless it will work. So now I have a new computer and all my files, I just can't get the two of them together. BOT turned out to be a real waste of money and the support was useless. Can somebody tell me how I can recover my files from the backup DVD's I created. Would be very appreciative.

3 answers to this question

Can you explain why you think BackonTrack is not supports on Vista while the system requirement page indicates it is supported. Have you tried browsing the contents of backed disc?

Did you backup only data files or was this a total system backup including OS? I believe should be able to extract your files using will windows explorer.

Can you explain why you think BackonTrack is not supports on Vista while the system requirement page indicates it is supported. Have you tried browsing the contents of backed disc?

Did you backup only data files or was this a total system backup including OS? I believe should be able to extract your files using will windows explorer.

Yes, I did see that the system requirements say Vista but on the page that tells which products Vista supports, BOT is not there. I asked the question of the support team and one said it did and one said it didn't. I questioned it because the first time I tried, I could not read the discs. I was also told that I need to purchase the program again in order for it to work. On your suggestion I tried again and yes, I can see the files so thank you. Seems a few may be missing but I can live with that. I don't recall if I did the entire system although I think that I did so my next question would be, if I did, and my system has crashed, it is possible to restore from these dvd's and would this simply involve booting from disk 1? Thanks again. I wish I had been told this by the support team and not what was clearly cut and paste from the website.

Well first thing, BOT 3 is a supported product on Vista :) And glad to know that your attempt to read the disc is successful. But yes, if you had used "Disaster Recovery" you would have been able to restore entire hard drive. So you have a choice to attempt to install BOT 3 on Vista and then restore the files or simply copy the readable files from the backed up discs. Generally, if you are experiencing problems reading some or more files, it could be related to poor media. As a thumb rule, in future scenarios, make sure you do a test restore before discarding original source content to confirm the integrity of data.