• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Question About Cable Tv Quality

djohnspangler

Question

This is not a Roxio specific topic but it is a root of my applications.

Can anyone tell me why it is that when I turn my computer on I get diagonal "rain" lines in my television (not monitor) picture? It happens primarily on channel 2 and 3. I record programs onto my computer to burn to disc but the cable TV signal is affected by the computer being powered.

What can I do to remedy this?

5 answers to this question

Thanks for all the options. None seem to fit the bill. Is it possible that my hdd emits a freqency that interferes with certain channel bands. I'm going to try a shielded RG-6 cable.

You could also try connecting your cable to your vcr and use the RCA jacks out into your tv. Or buy a RF to RCA converter (do google on "rf to rca".

Could be lots of things. Grounding is a major problem with most electronics. Does your house have the 3 prong electical outlets? Most older houses don't. Sometimes even poor cable connectors can cause soemthing like that and it could be electromagnetic interference like CB radios or even a wireless router too close. I get that once in a great while only in one room, but it always goes away.

This is not a Roxio specific topic but it is a root of my applications.

Can anyone tell me why it is that when I turn my computer on I get diagonal "rain" lines in my television (not monitor) picture? It happens primarily on channel 2 and 3. I record programs onto my computer to burn to disc but the cable TV signal is affected by the computer being powered.

What can I do to remedy this?

When I first got my tv tuner card, the picture on some channels was not as good as on others. It turned out that the copper pin in the cable was not long enough to make a good contact with my card. I pulled the cable out further with pliers and the picture was immediately better. Could be interference too like Gary mentioned but that might be harder to figure out. Lastly, depending on what the source is (cable, satelite, antenae) you might need an amplifer if you're sharing too many cable connections. Leakage can cause this as well.

Could also be too much power draw on one house electrical circuit. :)

Could be lots of things. Grounding is a major problem with most electronics. Does your house have the 3 prong electical outlets? Most older houses don't. Sometimes even poor cable connectors can cause soemthing like that and it could be electromagnetic interference like CB radios or even a wireless router too close. I get that once in a great while only in one room, but it always goes away.

Archived