• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

File Name Length

prettyms

Question

5 answers to this question

Does anyone know the maximum file name length of the various versions?

I know Roxio 6 has a 128 character file name limit.

Does anyone know how long the character length is for versions 7 and 8?

If I recall correctly, the 128 character limit was for UDF (packet writing). The limit isn't Roxio's, but the specification for that file system, and that specification hasn't changed. Of course, Packet Writing is considered a risky way to write discs.

The Joliet limitation, for session written discs (considered more reliable, and definitely more readable in other systems) is 31 characters for the file name and 31 characters for the path., and that specification hasn't changed in Version 7 or 8.

Again, these are file system specifications that Roxio has to live within, they're not arbitrarily imposed limits by Roxio.

Hope that helps!

If I recall correctly, the 128 character limit was for UDF (packet writing). The limit isn't Roxio's, but the specification for that file system, and that specification hasn't changed. Of course, Packet Writing is considered a risky way to write discs.

The Joliet limitation, for session written discs (considered more reliable, and definitely more readable in other systems) is 31 characters for the file name and 31 characters for the path., and that specification hasn't changed in Version 7 or 8.

Again, these are file system specifications that Roxio has to live within, they're not arbitrarily imposed limits by Roxio.

Hope that helps!

That is a TREMENDOUS (and informative) Help!!! Thanks so much

Here is an old Roxio tech note on CD filenames, etc. The 'filename' as used in this context, I believe includes the entire path. For example:

C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 8\Disc Copier\DiscCopier8.exe

UDF

The UDF file system allows up to 127 characters per filename. DirectCD writes in the UDF file system. However, if you close a DirectCD for Windows disc to make it readable in a normal CD-ROM drive, to ensure compatibility it is necessary to convert the filenames to Joliet, so they will be truncated to 64 characters.

Read full text here

Here is an old Roxio tech note on CD filenames, etc. The 'filename' as used in this context, I believe includes the entire path. For example:

C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 8\Disc Copier\DiscCopier8.exe

UDF

The UDF file system allows up to 127 characters per filename. DirectCD writes in the UDF file system. However, if you close a DirectCD for Windows disc to make it readable in a normal CD-ROM drive, to ensure compatibility it is necessary to convert the filenames to Joliet, so they will be truncated to 64 characters.

Read full text here

Many thanks!!!

As was pointed out, the limits are based on international standards and have nothing to do with versions of software. Although at the time V5 and previous versions were written Win95 ruled so there was no point in addressing anything beyond Win95 limits.

Here are the limits for Joliet:

Filename – 64 characters max

Pathname – 128 characters (full path + filename)

8 subdirectories max

4gb file length limit

UDF is far more forgiving than indicated. It isn't the file name that causes problems, but usually the path name (full path + filename)

If you are using Classic, select UDF, No Bridge and turn off Validate. Then you should be able to burn anything you have on your PC.

Archived