• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sound Editor Super Sloooowwww....

cafetimer

Question

I've been trying to use Sound Editor (first from EMC 7.5 and now EMC 8 Suite's version). Almost impossible to use for simple things such as locating a particular track position or merging files, which turns the application unusable considering the lot of times you would need to locate any part of a track in order to edit it. My PC specs are way above the system requirements. In the past I've used an old version of Nero's sound editor on an older machine without any problem.

The main specs of my PC are:

PC: HP ze5478cl laptop

Processor: Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz

Operative System: Win XP SP1 (Home Edition)

Hard drives: 80 GB Toshiba MK8025GAS (internal), 250 GB Maxtor external HD

RAM: 512 MB DDR

Video Card:RADEON IGP 345M

DVD/CD: Sony DW-P50A (+R/RW), HPdvd-740e (+-R/RW DL)

Capture card: Legacy Video Card

Some active apps: NAV Pro 2004, Belkin's Bullguard (for UPS), Roxio's Drag and Drop, Spy Sweeper.

Noticed somewhere on the requirements section something about Windows XP SP2. However I've been running other apps from EMC 8 without problems and I have SP1 installed as indicated above.

Any help will be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

The program requirements are SP2 but I think you can get away with SP1 for most applications. You have an on-board sound chip so make sure you have the latest drivers for it. Go here

Do you have the latest version of DirectX 9 ©? If not download and install. Go to Windows/Start/Run and type in DxDiag and run the tests; see if anything shows up.

There should be nothing in Sound Editor to cause it to run slow. Just to check, turn off watched folders in Media Manager; perhaps it is cataloging your sound files and hasn't yet completed.

Make sure that NAV is not checking the files already on your computer so when you access a file, it scans it for viruses. If you do any video work in the future, make sure it is shut down entirely (disconnect from the internet first).

Wao, sknis, your solution worked like charm. Updated the audio drives and turned off Audio Manager. Now this sound editor flies!!!!!!

The program requirements are SP2 but I think you can get away with SP1 for most applications. You have an on-board sound chip so make sure you have the latest drivers for it. Go here

Do you have the latest version of DirectX 9 ©? If not download and install. Go to Windows/Start/Run and type in DxDiag and run the tests; see if anything shows up.

There should be nothing in Sound Editor to cause it to run slow. Just to check, turn off watched folders in Media Manager; perhaps it is cataloging your sound files and hasn't yet completed.

Make sure that NAV is not checking the files already on your computer so when you access a file, it scans it for viruses. If you do any video work in the future, make sure it is shut down entirely (disconnect from the internet first).

I've been trying to use Sound Editor (first from EMC 7.5 and now EMC 8 Suite's version). Almost impossible to use for simple things such as locating a particular track position or merging files, which turns the application unusable considering the lot of times you would need to locate any part of a track in order to edit it. My PC specs are way above the system requirements. In the past I've used an old version of Nero's sound editor on an older machine without any problem.

Some active apps: NAV Pro 2004, Belkin's Bullguard (for UPS), Roxio's Drag and Drop, Spy Sweeper.

Noticed somewhere on the requirements section something about Windows XP SP2. However I've been running other apps from EMC 8 without problems and I have SP1 installed as indicated above.

You don't need SP2 to run most of EMC 8. You can't use the Liveshare portion of the suite without SP2, but the rest of the programs that I use, in the suite, run well with only SP1 installed.

What do you mean when you say slow? I can grab the slider and get to most any track, quite quickly.

You don't need SP2 to run most of EMC 8. You can't use the Liveshare portion of the suite without SP2, but the rest of the programs that I use, in the suite, run well with only SP1 installed.

What do you mean when you say slow? I can grab the slider and get to most any track, quite quickly.

Thanks to both of you for your insights. I'll download the latest drivers for both Directx 9 and the audio chip. About the Media Manager, I'll turn off the feature. However, I don't recall having the Media Manager on EMC 7.5 and the problem was already present.

Grandpa, when I say slow I refer to the lapse of time it takes from the moment I move the slider to the moment the sound plays. It takes an exagerate amount of time (perhaps 30-40 seconds or so each time, I'm not sure, I have not measure it).

Thanks to both of you for your insight. I'll download the latest drivers for both Directx 9 and the audio chip. About the Media Manager, I'll turn off the feature. However, I don't recall having the Media Manager on EMC 7.5 and the problem was present.

Grandpa, when I say slow I refer to the lapse of time it takes from the moment I move the slider to the moment the sound plays. It takes an exagerate amount of time (perhaps 30-40 seconds or so each time, I'm not sure, I have not measure it).

Yikes! I have no clue what the problem is, then. Maybe audio drivers.

Archived