• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable To Install Or Uninstall Emc8

fdale2

Question

When I try to uninstall EMC8, it keeps telling me I am missing the certification file. (Why am I uninstalling EMC8? Because Disc Copier doesn't work and when I tried the solution Roxio threw at me, other programs stopped working...tried to replace with regedit...didn't work. EMC8 is the worst program I've dealt with yet. )

When I try to install EMC8, same thing, missing the certification file. I will have no choice but to reinstall windows to resolve this. Their customer service is also by far the worst of any company I've dealt with...at least other companies give you someone from India or other 3rd world nation to talk to. Nero is the choice for me from now on.

7 answers to this question

You are correct. I didn't try through the message boards. I tried thru the Roxanne system. I tried emailing which is, of course, impossible. Thus, this was my only outlet. Grandpa, I have not reinstalled XP yet...but I am considering it due to the frustration in trying to resolve my issue. I will try what you have suggested. Hopefully it will work.

Well, I hope that it does, and I would hope that you would come back and post your results.

When I try to uninstall EMC8, it keeps telling me I am missing the certification file. (Why am I uninstalling EMC8? Because Disc Copier doesn't work and when I tried the solution Roxio threw at me, other programs stopped working...tried to replace with regedit...didn't work. EMC8 is the worst program I've dealt with yet. )

When I try to install EMC8, same thing, missing the certification file. I will have no choice but to reinstall windows to resolve this. Their customer service is also by far the worst of any company I've dealt with...at least other companies give you someone from India or other 3rd world nation to talk to. Nero is the choice for me from now on.

You have choices, if you ask here. You may have been a bit hasty in reinstalling Windows XP. If you did that, without formatting the drive, you may have caused more problems than you had with EMC 8.

You did not list your system specs or what solution you did try, but if it was the upper and lower filters fix, try this, next:

Use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to get rid of all Roxio and Sonic files on your computer, reboot, then try to reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Also, make sure you have the latest Windows Installer. I don't have the URL for that, but it is easy to find, on the net.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is good!

Bruce Wallace

Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:

3.0 Ghz Intel P4 CPU

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard

1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram

Plextor PX 716A DVD Burner

Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card

Creative Labs Audigy2 Platinum Sound Card

Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 Capture Card

Windows XP Home Edition w/All patches Except SP2

You didn't ask for help so I won't waste your time but there may are other suggestions that might fix your problem. I don't see where you posted asking for help on this forum but I am sure you did a thorough search of the forum to look for an answer. :)

okay, grandpabruce

here's the situation...i managed to use the cleanup utility to make emc8 work but now my old problem (the reason I uninstalled it in the first place) is back. That is emc8 and 7.5 fail to recognize DVD+R's. 7.5 didn't before I made some change to my registry following the directions of Roxanne. I even saved a copy of my old registry which regedit refuses to recognize or says it can't use. So now what? But thanks for the assist on the install/uninstall issue.

Go to start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager. Click the + next to DVD/CDRom drives.

What you see is the drives ID string. Example mine Plextor DVDR PX 716A and Plextor DVDR PX 712A .

Post what yours are.

cdanteek

okay, grandpabruce

here's the situation...i managed to use the cleanup utility to make emc8 work but now my old problem (the reason I uninstalled it in the first place) is back. That is emc8 and 7.5 fail to recognize DVD+R's. 7.5 didn't before I made some change to my registry following the directions of Roxanne. I even saved a copy of my old registry which regedit refuses to recognize or says it can't use. So now what? But thanks for the assist on the install/uninstall issue.

Go to start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager. Click the + next to DVD/CDRom drives.

What you see is the drives ID string. Example mine Plextor DVDR PX 716A and Plextor DVDR PX 712A .

Post what yours are.

cdanteek

HP DVD Writer 640c is what it says after doing everything you mentioned.

Okay. Let me know what you think.

Dale

You are correct. I didn't try through the message boards. I tried thru the Roxanne system. I tried emailing which is, of course, impossible. Thus, this was my only outlet. Grandpa, I have not reinstalled XP yet...but I am considering it due to the frustration in trying to resolve my issue. I will try what you have suggested. Hopefully it will work.

Archived