• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Region Code Error From Creator 2009

bozsal

Question

Greetings all

After messing up my system recently, I had to re-install Creator 2009. It was a clean install following all the rules from the linked instructions. The installation went fine, the programs all seem to be working (to a point), yet when I burn a DVD from MyDVD I get a region code error on my DVD player. I haven't been able to find a way to "reset" any region setting (if one exists) and I was not asked during the installation process to enter any region codes (I'm in NY). Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.

16 answers to this question

Hello. I checked the region number in device manager and it is set at 1 (although it also indicates that I have only 4 changes remaining and I have never intentionally changed this. I recently had to use the HP system recovery which re-installed the original version of Windows XP onto the system giving me a new administrator account etc., could this be an issue?) And it would not play on the PC either. I tried to find a way of determining the region code set on the DVD, without any luck. I could see the file structure on the DVD in Explorer. Ultimately, I erased the disk using that option in MyDVD and the DVD player read it as a "New Disk" and formatted it as usual.

Hello. I checked the region number in device manager and it is set at 1 (although it also indicates that I have only 4 changes remaining and I have never intentionally changed this. I recently had to use the HP system recovery which re-installed the original version of Windows XP onto the system giving me a new administrator account etc., could this be an issue?) And it would not play on the PC either. I tried to find a way of determining the region code set on the DVD, without any luck. I could see the file structure on the DVD in Explorer. Ultimately, I erased the disk using that option in MyDVD and the DVD player read it as a "New Disk" and formatted it as usual.

You formatted a disc, or did you erase it? Formatting is done, when you are using packet writing software, which can't be used when making a DVD compliant disc.

Hello.

When a "New Disk" is inserted into the DVD player, it automatically wants to format it. Then, when I bring it onto the PC and go to burn a video onto it in MyDVD, MyDVD will not burn to it until after I erase it. So, in answer to your question, it was first formatted and then erased in MyDVD. Notably, this has never been an issue with either Creator 09 or EMC9 until after I did the clean install process.

Hello.

When a "New Disk" is inserted into the DVD player, it automatically wants to format it. Then, when I bring it onto the PC and go to burn a video onto it in MyDVD, MyDVD will not burn to it until after I erase it. So, in answer to your question, it was first formatted and then erased in MyDVD. Notably, this has never been an issue with either Creator 09 or EMC9 until after I did the clean install process.

Since C2009 does not contain any "packet writing" program it has no need to format a DVD or require a "formatting" program. So I don't think C2009 wants to format your DVD. Perhaps your "clean install" was not so clean after all and some remnants of EMC 9 are still there.

Edited by myguggi

Sorry, I think my last reply was a little confusing. I have tried to burn a video using MyDVD. When placed into the DVD player (Toshiba D-VR5SU) that is connected to my TV, I get the region code error. Subsequently, I brought the DVD disk back to the PC, inserted it into the DVD drive (TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L), and selected 2 or 3 of the players that Windows XP suggests to use to play the DVD disk, and none of them could play the DVD. Afterwards, I went into MyDVD and erased the disk. Then I brought the disk back to the Toshiba DVD player and it recognized it as a "New Disk" (essentially a blank disc). When the Toshiba sees a "New Disk" it automatically wants to format it, so I did on the Toshiba. Then I brought the disk back to the PC, opened MyDVD, and tried to burn the video again. Of course, MyDVD saw that the DVD disk had been formatted by the Toshiba. So, before MyDVD would allow me to burn the video to the DVD disk, I had to erase the disk again. Which I did. Then I burned the video to the disk without any errors. Nevertheless, after closing MyDVD and opening Windows Media Player 10, the disk once again could not be read. I brought it back to the Toshiba DVD player and it also could not read the DVD. So that's where I am.

Your Toshiba is a Recorder/Player, no Player will format anything! Check you setup, you can usually turn off the auto formatting or at least get it to allow you to chose Yes or No.

I don't know of anything in the current version that will check the region???

As I said before, Roxio burns Region Free and I think that error message is not the problem.

You must have some RW media, since you erased it, so put that in the Burner and open the "Create DVD Music Discs" program. Slap a song or two into a project and burn it… See what happens with that disc – it is really a DVD Movie with a bunch of songs.

Sorry, I think my last reply was a little confusing. I have tried to burn a video using MyDVD. When placed into the DVD player (Toshiba D-VR5SU) that is connected to my TV, I get the region code error. Subsequently, I brought the DVD disk back to the PC, inserted it into the DVD drive (TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L), and selected 2 or 3 of the players that Windows XP suggests to use to play the DVD disk, and none of them could play the DVD. Afterwards, I went into MyDVD and erased the disk. Then I brought the disk back to the Toshiba DVD player and it recognized it as a "New Disk" (essentially a blank disc). When the Toshiba sees a "New Disk" it automatically wants to format it, so I did on the Toshiba. Then I brought the disk back to the PC, opened MyDVD, and tried to burn the video again. Of course, MyDVD saw that the DVD disk had been formatted by the Toshiba. So, before MyDVD would allow me to burn the video to the DVD disk, I had to erase the disk again. Which I did. Then I burned the video to the disk without any errors. Nevertheless, after closing MyDVD and opening Windows Media Player 10, the disk once again could not be read. I brought it back to the Toshiba DVD player and it also could not read the DVD. So that's where I am.

Maybe your set top DVD player doesn't like rewritable media. Try a +R or -R DVD, and see if you get the same error.

Hello.

It is NOT the Toshiba recorder/player. I have always used rewriteable disks without any problems even when using EMC9 and initially Creator 09. Something else is going on here.

Well maybe the rewriteable discs have outlived their usefulness. You want to try what I suggested, or keep banging your head against the wall? If the +R or -R discs have the same problem, then you have at least eliminated media as the problem, and you can look at the possibility that your burner is going belly up, or you have a bad install of the software.

Well maybe the rewriteable discs have outlived their usefulness. You want to try what I suggested, or keep banging your head against the wall? If the +R or -R discs have the same problem, then you have at least eliminated media as the problem, and you can look at the possibility that your burner is going belly up, or you have a bad install of the software.

Hello again.

I have found the solution to this problem. And although I very much appreciate the time and effort that all of the digital gurus imppart to these forums, I must say that the frequent placement of blame on everything other than the software is of no real value (maybe it was my toaster's fault :blink: ). In any event, here's what happened:

In an attempt to rectify another issue that I'm having with the software (the thread is within the "program crashes/hangs other then while burning" forum) I attempted to increase the resolution of the files being used within Videowave. To that end, I generated a production using the normal mpg2 files. I then output the production to an mpg2 1080i file. I then brought that file back into Videowave and saved it as a Videowave "dmse" file. That dmse file was then brought into MyDVD and I created a project around that and subsequently burned it to disk. That was the first disk which could not be recognized by either my Toshiba DVD recorder/player or any of the video players on my PC. When that failed, I brought the mpg2 1080i file directly into MyDVD and generated a project around that and burned it to disk. Once again the Toshiba nor the PC video players could recognize the disk. So, I said to myself, "Well, that's not the solution for my loss of clarity problem." Subsequently, I went back to Videowave and generated another production using the original mpg2 files, saved it as a dmse file, brought that into MyDVD, generated a project there, burned it to disk (all steps using the "normal" procedures), and tried to play that disk. It failed. It failed on the Toshiba and on the PC video players. That is when I began this thread.

After receiving the last post from grandpabruce, I said to myself (and yes I talk to myself alot) what have I done differently which may have caused this problem. The answer of course was the outputting to an mpg2 1080i file. So, I went back to Videowave, brought in a couple of regular mpg2 files, generated a production, and output that to the standard mpg for DVD best quality format. Afterwards, I started a new production, brought in the original mpg2 files, generated a production, saved it as a dmse file, brought that into MyDVD, generated a project, burned it to disk, and lo and behold, it worked just fine on both the Toshiba and PC video players.

Thus, it appears that my Toshiba likes -RW disks just fine (thank goodness), that my PC's DVD drive is not going belly-up, and that the only thing wrong here is the very poor architecture of the Roxio Creator 2009 software. Notably, I'm still having the same issue with loss of clarity after editing.

There ya go. Thanks for the help y'all.

Hello again.

I have found the solution to this problem. And although I very much appreciate the time and effort that all of the digital gurus imppart to these forums, I must say that the frequent placement of blame on everything other than the software is of no real value (maybe it was my toaster's fault :blink: ). In any event, here's what happened:

In an attempt to rectify another issue that I'm having with the software (the thread is within the "program crashes/hangs other then while burning" forum) I attempted to increase the resolution of the files being used within Videowave. To that end, I generated a production using the normal mpg2 files. I then output the production to an mpg2 1080i file. I then brought that file back into Videowave and saved it as a Videowave "dmse" file. That dmse file was then brought into MyDVD and I created a project around that and subsequently burned it to disk. That was the first disk which could not be recognized by either my Toshiba DVD recorder/player or any of the video players on my PC. When that failed, I brought the mpg2 1080i file directly into MyDVD and generated a project around that and burned it to disk. Once again the Toshiba nor the PC video players could recognize the disk. So, I said to myself, "Well, that's not the solution for my loss of clarity problem." Subsequently, I went back to Videowave and generated another production using the original mpg2 files, saved it as a dmse file, brought that into MyDVD, generated a project there, burned it to disk (all steps using the "normal" procedures), and tried to play that disk. It failed. It failed on the Toshiba and on the PC video players. That is when I began this thread.

After receiving the last post from grandpabruce, I said to myself (and yes I talk to myself alot) what have I done differently which may have caused this problem. The answer of course was the outputting to an mpg2 1080i file. So, I went back to Videowave, brought in a couple of regular mpg2 files, generated a production, and output that to the standard mpg for DVD best quality format. Afterwards, I started a new production, brought in the original mpg2 files, generated a production, saved it as a dmse file, brought that into MyDVD, generated a project, burned it to disk, and lo and behold, it worked just fine on both the Toshiba and PC video players.

Thus, it appears that my Toshiba likes -RW disks just fine (thank goodness), that my PC's DVD drive is not going belly-up, and that the only thing wrong here is the very poor architecture of the Roxio Creator 2009 software. Notably, I'm still having the same issue with loss of clarity after editing.

There ya go. Thanks for the help y'all.

I am confused. VideoWave saves files as a .dmsm file, not .dmse. I am glad that you finally found that you don't have to output the production from VideoWave. It is rare, that I output from VideoWave. I just save the file, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, and bring in the VideoWave production, for authoring and burning.

If you are going to keep the DVD's that you are burning, then you are still better off not using RW media. It degrades over time, faster than +R or -R media.

Sorry, my mistake on the dmse file type, it is definitely dmsm. And normally I do just save in Videowave and then import into MyDVD, I'm just at a loss for fixing the loss of clarity issue that I'm having when using that process.

Thanks for the tip on the degradation factor of -R vs. -RW. I'll keep it in mind. For now though, I would have spent a small fortune on DVD's if they hadn't been re-writeable while trying to overcome the other issue.

Thanks again for your time and considerations.

Sorry, my mistake on the dmse file type, it is definitely dmsm. And normally I do just save in Videowave and then import into MyDVD, I'm just at a loss for fixing the loss of clarity issue that I'm having when using that process.

Thanks for the tip on the degradation factor of -R vs. -RW. I'll keep it in mind. For now though, I would have spent a small fortune on DVD's if they hadn't been re-writeable while trying to overcome the other issue.

Thanks again for your time and considerations.

If you have tried both Software and Hardware for rendering, then I don't know why you couldn't get a nice looking final product, unless your production is well over an hour long, or the media (RW) is worn out. :(