• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Naz0000

Sense Key Error - What Does This Mean?

Question

I'm trying to burn a disc image but keep getting an error message: SENSE KEY = MEDIUM ERROR, Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03. Can someone tell me what this means?

10 answers to this question

That typically means the drive does not like the brand of blank disc you are using. Medium is referring to media. Try a different brand of discs such as Verbatim.

That typically means the drive does not like the brand of blank disc you are using. Medium is referring to media. Try a different brand of discs such as Verbatim.

It's actually Verbatim that I'm using. Is there anything else I can do?

I get the same problem too, only with DVD+R DLs in my case, BOTH Memorex and Verbatim brands:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x0c

WRITE ERROR

I can't burn DVD+R DLs in Disk Utility either, it gives me this error:

Unable to burn '[title]'. (The burn failed because of a medium write error.)

It's been months that I've had this problem. Please if anyone finds a solution let me know!

It's actually Verbatim that I'm using. Is there anything else I can do?

Try choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Also, choose a slower than Best speed such as 4X or 8X. Lastly, consider getting a laser-cleaning disc.

You also might check if a firmware update is available for your DVD drive.

Try choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Also, choose a slower than Best speed such as 4X or 8X. Lastly, consider getting a laser-cleaning disc.

You also might check if a firmware update is available for your DVD drive.

I've tried saving an image, it works fine, and also slower speeds do not help. And the most recent firmware update for my drive is 2006, when my drive was manufactured April 2007.

Also since some people reported dust was causing the problem I completely took apart the drive and found no dust on the lens, so I blew it with compressed air and closed it up.

My current guess is that either Verbatim and all these companies switched to a different type of DVD+R DL all of a sudden, or that there's something wrong between OS 10.5 and the Superdrive (which is Sony). Or the Superdrive is just screwed up hardware-wise. But it seems a couple of people have this problem so...

Also the problem is not just with Toast, at least in my case.

The newer DL discs support faster than 2.4X burning. This means your drive has firmware written for older media. I don't know if that's the problem, though. Apple's Superdrives are such garbage (read the numerous complaints in the forums at discussions.apple.com). If you plan to do much DL burning (or possibly any DL burning in your case) I highly recommend getting a good-quality external drive such as those sold by LaCie.

I had this error and it was my DVD drive that was broken, and I had to take my laptop back and get it replaced - i tried burning a CD-R on iTunes and when that didn't work, I had my answer.

I'm trying to burn a disc image but keep getting an error message: SENSE KEY = MEDIUM ERROR, Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03. Can someone tell me what this means?

I also had the DVD drive replaced in my MacBook. Apparently there are quite a few defective drives that get past the inspectors. <smirk>

mine only happens with Toast with cds, iMac burns fine with iTunes, im running a 20inch iMac with Toast 10.0.5 Snow Leopard & mine has a Optiarc AD-5630A which was replaced under warranty as the original Pioneer drive died

mine only happens with Toast with cds, iMac burns fine with iTunes, im running a 20inch iMac with Toast 10.0.5 Snow Leopard & mine has a Optiarc AD-5630A which was replaced under warranty as the original Pioneer drive died

I don't know the reason for the problem. Are you trying to burn an audio CD? When the blank disc is inserted and you're ready to start, click the button that says Best speed and choose the slowest possible burn speed. Audio CDs should be burned at the slowest possible speed in any case. It might resolve the issue. Also get some Verbatim discs to see if those work better with Toast and your drive.